Chapter 18: Letters of Love

Cerise heard Cedar enter the room behind her. She did not look up, seeing as she knew who it was. Instead, she continued to put away her clothes and the other necessities she had brought with her during fall break.

    "I have something for you!" Cedar said. Excitement and giddiness laced her words.

    "What is it?" Cerise asked, turning to face Cedar. Instead of saying anything, Cedar held out a piece of paper. "Again... what is it?"

    "A note, obviously." Cedar thrust the paper into Cerise's hands and sat down criss-cross-applesauce. "What's it say?"

    Cerise apprehensively unfolded the note and scanned it with her eyes, deciding on whether or not to read it aloud. It had some of the most ornate handwriting she had ever seen, the mark of a royal. She instantly knew who it was from. Clearing her throat she began.

    "'Dear Cerise,'" She read. "'We haven't had the chance to talk since Thronecoming. Do you think you could meet me in the forest after school today? Under the large tree by the clearing. You don't have to come if you don't want to of course, but I would really like to talk to you... D.C.'" Cerise knew immediately that "D.C." stood for "Daring Charming".

    She smiled and hugged the note. She had been raving over how she would confront Daring, but now she didn't have to worry. He wanted to talk to her too.

    "You're going right?" Cedar asked anxiously, pulling Cerise from her thoughts.

    "Of course."

    "What are you gonna wear?"

    "Ummmm... This?"

    "What about your hair and make-up?"

    "Not necessary."

    "Why not?"

    "First of all," Cerise held out her hands. "For all I know he just needs help with his homework."

    "He sent you a secret note with romantic implications... to ask for help with his homework? Not. Likely."

    "Also," Cerise continued. "If he really likes me, how I look shouldn't matter."

    "I guess you're right about that." Cedar conceded. "I guess I'm just so hexcited that you might actually be getting your true love. It's sooo romantic." If Cedar could blush, she would be doing so now. Just the thought of true love put butterflies in her stomach. "I hope I can find true love of my own someday."

    "Yeah, maybe he'll be a lumberjack." Cerise said with a snicker.

    "Nooooo." Cedar moaned. She pretended to squeal in terror. The girls joked about and giggled for the next few minutes until they had to run off to class. Today would be perfect.