Chapter 12: Catra

The realization of what just happened sinks in. I kissed, Adora. Me...I kissed her. And she kissed back. "Catra, everything okay?" I look back up at Adora. Her sky blue eyes seem to pierce into mine. Instead of answering I pull her into an embrace. She hugs me back. "This is not because I like you." I whisper."Yeah, yeah. Keep telling yourself that." My lips turn up into a small grin.  I tighten the embrace.She winces and my blood runs cold. Reality weighs on me like a ton of bricks and I pull back. I have to get her out of there. "Adora, you can't stay there." Sadness fills her eyes; a darkness that engulfs the light entirely. She looks away. Okay, I certainly picked the wrong time to bring up the subject. But there is no turning back now. She caresses my face and pulls me into another kiss. I sigh and kiss her back; wrapping my arms around her neck and pulling her closer. Electricity fills my body from head to toe. Butterfly's swarm in a fierce frenzy at the intoxicating feeling of her lips on mine. Her arms wrap around my waist. And as much as I want this, as much as I want her,  I know that this isn't what I need to be focused on right now. Reluctantly, I pull back. She goes in for more and it takes everything in me to gently push her shoulders back. "Kissing me won't get you out of this, Blondie." I try to get my tone light, but even I can hear the  worry that creeps into it. She picks at a loose thread on a throw pillow; doing anything but looking me in the eyes. "I'm starving, Catra. Breakfast?" I sigh and decide to let the subject go for now. I laugh a little and lace her fingers with mine. "Onward, Princess! To the fridge." She giggles a little. I open the door and am immediately met with a multi- colored bed head. Adora drops my hand. I feel a pang in my heart as she rubs her hand behind her neck; her cheeks rosy. Glimmer's eyes widen."Wait a minute! Were you guys holding hands?" I share a glance with Adora. "No! Of course not!" She says; her sentence rushed and totally unbelievable. I feel anger start to replace the hurt. Or maybe it's just a hurricane of the two. But it's safe to say anger is the dominant emotion right now. Of course she would do this.  What else did I expect? Of course she would be embarrassed of me around her preppy friends. "Hah! I don't believe you for a second but I'll drop the subject for now. I'm going back to bed. Just wanted to check on you guys." We bid our goodbyes and once Glimmer is out of sight, Adora tries to take my hand again. I pull it out of her reach and walk ahead of her. "Something wrong, Catra?" Of course. You just denied whatever happened between us right in front of Sparkles, because you were what... embarrassed of me? Embarrassed of the poor little orphan girl who let her walls down again, just so that you could toy around with her emotions. "Catra?" I take a deep breath and keep my tone nonchalant. "Nope, nothing's wrong. I'm just peachy keen." The sentence came out more hostile than I expected. "Woah, okay what's the matter?" Her voice; that lovely voice...it really does sound genuine. Maybe, I shouldn't have taken it so personally. Maybe she was just acting on impulse. By the looks of it, Glimmer did seem to scare the wits out of her.I try to keep those positive thoughts but something about them still doesn't ring true. I feel arms wrap around my waist. She rests her head on my shoulder."What's wrong?"I break out of her embrace and make my way to the refrigerator. "Eggs? Yogurt? Pizza?" She cocks an eyebrow."Pizza?" I know she is trying to lighten the mood but there is not much she can do right now. But I go along with it."Yes, Pizza. It is one of the best breakfast choices, if you ask me." She chuckles; a light sound that always seems to make my heart flutter no matter how pissed off I am. "Guess, we'll go with that then." I grab the box and set it out onto the table. She takes a slice and sets it down onto her napkin. "You gonna tell me what's wrong?" I roll my eyes. "Can we please just drop it? I'm fine." I snap. Her smirk turns into a thin line and her eyes drop down to her pizza. "Sorry, I just..." She trails off.And then the awkward silence settles in.