Chapter 26: Catra

(This chapter is pretty short. But it is a build up chapter. Thanks for bearing with me. 😊)

The dance is in two days. I don't even have anything to wear.

Glimmer bursts into my room.

I whirl around.
"Ever heard of knocking?!" She smiles.
"No, no I don't think I have." I groan and brush my unruly hair. Her smile only grows wider as she gets lost in thought.

"What's got you so pumped up lately?" Her face turns crimson. I snicker.
"Seems like it has something to do with a certain boy who wears crop tops..." She punches me in the arm and I laugh.

"Yup, thought so." She twirls a piece of hair around her finger and stares off into space; a dreamy look on her face.

"He asked me to the dance." I force some enthusiasm.
"Really? Sparkles, that's great!" She nods and her smiles somehow grows wider.

She checks her phone.

"Mom said to hurry up or your gonna be late for your appointment." I nod.

"Will do." She nods and then walks back out; staring at her phone and grinning like an idiot.

I close the door behind her and let out a very dramatic sigh.

To be honest? I would rather skip my appointment. Not that I don't like therapy! It's actually been incredibly helpful.

It's a painfully slow process. Sometimes, I feel like I'm getting nowhere. My nightmares catch up with me and I start from square one.
But...I know that if I give up all this progress that Iv'e made will be thrown away.

So, I don't miss an appointment.

Because, as hard as it is the only real escape from your pain is to heal from it.

Angelle drops me off at DT's house. To my relief, I notice that Adora's dad's car is not in the driveway.

I ring the doorbell.

The door opens to reveal a disheveled Adora.

Her bright eyes are puffy and red. Mascara streaks down her face.

"Oh hey, Catra!" She injects fake enthusiasm into her voice. I say nothing.

I take her hand and lace her fingers with mine.

She doesn't resist as I drag her upstairs.

I sit her down on her bed.

"What's wrong, Adora?" She fakes a smile.

"Nothing. Everything is fine...I'm just..." I rest a hand on her shoulder.

"The truth?" She takes a shaky breath.

"I...I just it's getting so much harder to hide who I am." I loop my arm around her shoulders; she rests her head on my shoulder.

I try to ignore the frenzy of butterflies in my stomach.

"...as best friends of course!"

The line replays in my head. I feel my face drop. Best friends. Nothing more.

Focus, Catra!
"The closet is getting pretty cramped, huh?" She nods. I absentmindedly run a hand through her silky hair. She leans into my touch.

"Adora...I know that this can be terrifying but I think it's time that you told everybody who you truly are." She shakes her head. I sigh.

"I can see how much it's hurting you, Adora. You can't keep pretending to be somebody that you aren't...it's killing you."

A few tears roll gracefully down her cheeks.

"Why...why can't I be normal?"

"Because, Adora, you weren't meant to be. This is who you are." She sits up and locks eyes with me. I miss her warmth but don't say anything.

"I can't come out, Catra. It would hurt too many people." She takes my hand and laces her fingers with mine.

"But, Adora, you can feel how much it's hurting you. This secret has been gnawing away at you for years. You can't change yourself. This is who you are and if other people don't understand that then shame on them."

She laughs a little.

"Thanks, Catra." I nod.

"Anytime, Princess." I cock an eyebrow.

"So?"I ask.

"So what?" I chuckle.

"Do you want me to come with you when you tell them?" She thinks for a moment and then shakes her head.

"I think that this is something that I need to do on my own." I nod and give her a warm smile.

She returns it, making my heart melt.

I look at the time.

"Oh shoot, I've gotta go." She frowns but nods. I stand up; immediately wanting to sit back down with her and feel her warmth and presence. But I know Angelle will freak out if I'm not home soon.

"Hey, Adora?" I turn around.

"Yeah?"

"I'm proud of you." She smiles.

"Thank you." I smile back.

"You can do this." She takes another deep breath and nods.

"I sure hope so."