Retrocognition | Xiao

R e t r o c o g n i t i o n

≿————- ❈ ————-≾

Xiao had loved someone once in his life.

Wait, was it once? He's certain it's not—but he did love only one, and it was painful to do so. Throughout his years of being an Adepti of the Geo Archon, right from the very beginning of it all was his friend [Name]. Naturally, he was given the gift of 'immortality', so when the girl aged, he did not, but he kept her safe. Initially, he never saw her as someone he'd take interest in, that is until he becomes aware of the cycle of reincarnation and saw her again one night in Liyue, centuries before the Great Archon War.

She came from the lands favored by wind in her second life, and had deliberately hunted him down after seeing him retreat to the shadows as soon as the mob of hilichurls and abyss mages have disintegrated into ash and nothingness. She's always been so adventurous, that even though he was well concealed far from the eyes of mortals, she managed to catch him. Funny, really, for even when she was but a mere child he can never outrun her.

"That was so nice of you," he remembered her saying, "But why do you not claim the recognition you deserve from your heroism?"

Heroism, he had scoffed in wonder.

She didn't know that he was an Adepti back then, for with her new life came a brand new mind fresh and ridden of memories of her past and of him, so he didn't know how to react to her sudden reappearance. But alas she still grew onto him, and he allowed her to do so, how could he not? They were friends all those years ago. And just like before, he had protected her as he does to Liyue.

"I'll find you next time." were her last words.

Ah, her death left him a bit down, but he was hopeful.

And after a few more centuries, there she was birthed again, this time in the bustling city of renowned Liyue itself. He stuck true to her words and didn't bother showing himself, knowing he'd be found one way or another, and he was, when she was roughly around the same age by physical appearances. She had literally pointed at him from below the streets, exclaiming that she had finally found the man plaguing her dreams.

He remembers quirking up an amused smile, and the flutter of hope in his chest that ate away his bitterness bolstered.

That life of hers, was the start of his own falling.

It happened when they were both overlooking the beautiful state of Liyue on the mountains he brought her to. It was at the dead of night, but she didn't want to return back to her home, apparently even if the existence of monsters roamed close to where they are. Why would she be afraid when she has him to her side?

"Perhaps I'm always finding you because you're so alone," yeah he took offense on that, but then she turned and—"But you should stay that way! Because," he can still almost envision the shy smile on her face, lit up only by the tender stare of the moon, "Because that gives me the chance to return to you."

It was the first time he ran out of words to say and allowed his charred heart instead to do the work, and with the mere lacing of his fingers with her own, a silent promise was set in stone. He would wait until she comes back to the world, cycling the heavens and the earth, and wait until she comes back to him. Her death that time was more mellow, there's no reason to be hurt when you're certain that you'll meet again, anyway—but oh does the universe have a petty system of tearing him apart. He waited, waited even in the War, waited even until years and centuries have passed, but you no longer returned.

And the Yaksha... has never felt so alone.

"Then that means, since you're so alone... you're waiting for her!" the voice of the little pixie-like thing snatches him out of his reveries and he sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose in exasperation as Aether huffed, placed his hands on his hips and shot a disapproving look towards Paimon who looked back with a pout. "What? Paimon knows you were also curious! Don't blame me! And you were the one who made him Almond Tofu to get him to speak!"

Xiao sighs again.

Right, it was because they gave him food.

"Well I'm done now," said the Yaksha, pushing back the plate towards the outlander and opting to overlook atop the balcony of Wangshu Inn as he always does in the evening, "You got what you wanted. Now leave." the floating girl flinches at his tone and scurries behind the blond swordsman, mumbling a series of apologies that incentivized him to just feel bland.

Seeing the obvious want to be left to his own space, Aether takes the plate and moves back towards the inn promptly, but not before stopping and giving him advice.

"She might not have any recollection of who you are. Maybe she's just out there, not in Liyue, and not in Mondstadt."

Xiao was left to think over the words of the outlander, his chin propped up onto his palm as he stared at the vast fields and waters that reflected the somber tone of the moon. A lifetime where she has no memory of him is possible, perhaps this is this wretched universe's test or something, he knows that this place has a tendency to be capricious and he's no stranger to that.

"I don't want to be in a world where you aren't there," he can still almost feel the weight of her head as she leaned onto his shoulder many, many years ago.

And just that—and the traveller's statement, with the addition of his own realization—that he is being idle—was enough to make him stand upright.

Liyue no longer needed the guardian. Even the remaining Adepti are now reclused, shied away from society for the city was now bubbling with independence.

They've been selfish, his fellow immortals, so why shouldn't he be, too?

This chain that shackled him to Liyue, is he really so willing to unlock it and be free?

Xiao swings himself off the balcony, a trail of anemo whirling around to support his weight as he landed and rolled onto the earth, the south winds—reminiscent of his blesser's (Barbatos) words beckoning him to the faraway lands. Past the slopes of the stone and past the tall mountains where the sun hides, the sensation of being called is strong.

"Wait for me, [Name]."

He murmurs to no one but the winds, his feet escalating from a walk to a jog, then to a run, as he is led past the wooden bridge and unto the lands beyond.

He is.

A/N

DISCLAIMER: Gensin Impact and its characters do not belong to me! I only own the plot for the ficlets.

I can and will never get enough of Xiao. I am going to save a hella lot to buy tickets for this dude to come home.