SEVEN

Friday afternoon had finally come and I felt nervous beyond belief. All day I had been pushing it to the back of my mind and distracting myself with my students, and it was killing me not to tell Rima, but I simply did not want to get her hopes up only for things not to work out. Anyhow, I thought it would be a better surprise if I told her about it afterwards when I wasn't all jittery and nervous.

Mama ordered me to drive straight home as soon as my last class ended, only stopping to pick up some flowers to decorate our living room with.

Ehsaan and his family are coming over tonight and every time I think about it, I feel my heart in my mouth because I'm so scared. I'd been preparing a list of questions to ask him and wanted to quickly go through them before the guests arrived.

Everyone was at home, mama was rushing around trying to make things perfect, Saffa was helping in the kitchen and Sami was making sure the living room was in order. Baba was outside sweeping the leaves up from the driveway. Apparently, when someone comes to see you for marriage, everything has to be just perfect.

After arranging the gorgeous flowers in the numerous vases and mixing the powder into the water, I was ushered by mama up the stairs to shower and Saffa was sent to help me pick an outfit. My little sister is a lover of make up and fashion, and while I loved dressing up for occasions every now and then, my day-to-day dress sense was chic and stylish, yet practical and comfortable. So, it was her job today to make sure I didn't opt for something too simple, but to wear something that would impress my potential in-laws.

By the time I had finished showering, it was already half past five and Ehsaan and his family were arriving at six o'clock, but Mama and baba said to be ready before then just in case they got here early. I quickly blow dried my hair and put on some very light make-up, much to Saffa's disapproval, who wanted me to go all out and cover my eyelids in eye-shadow to impress my potential husband. I refused though; today I wanted to be seen as the real me, and for the family to see me and get to know me as myself. After all, if things went well, they'd be a part of my family forever.

I dressed in a simple satin, mint coloured dress with beautiful embroidery on the sleeves and neck, which came in at the waist with a simple satin belt. I tied my hijab in a nude coloured low turban and slid on my nude pointed shoes. I didn't understand at all why I had to wear shoes in my own home, but mama insisted I be presented perfectly. 

* * *

It was 6 o'clock and I was pacing up and down the length of the kitchen, clenching and unclenching my fists, my shoes clicking against the cool tiles on the floor. In my head, I was repeatedly going through the questions I wanted to ask him and praying for the evening to go smoothly. Mama was getting out her favourite blue and white tea set while Saffa plated the samosas and placed them back in the oven to keep warm. Baba and Sami were in the room next door praying Maghrib before they arrived.

The ringing of the home phone alarmed me, such a normal occurrence causing me to almost jump out of my skin because of my nerves. 

"Assalamu alaikum Maryam... yes, alhamdulillah we're all okay... that's fine, don't worry about it... it's the next left from there and you'll see a driveway towards the end... yes the gates have been left open, do you see it?... okay, see you in a moment inshaAllah, salaam."

I gulped.

"Okay, here's the plan." Sami said walking in with Baba, "We will greet the guests, Aleena you will stay in here. After they're seated and talking, mama will ask Saffa to come and get you to bring the tea in. You two will come in, take a seat, carry on with the conversation-"

"Yes, and then at some point we'll leave you and Ehsaan to talk and get to know each other." Baba finished off. "Don't look so worried Honey, it'll be fine."

I nodded, not convinced.

The door bell rang, indicating the guests had arrived. Mama and Baba headed to the door, Bhai stayed for a minute, saying, "he really is a good guy, just give him a chance" whilst giving me a side hug and heading to the front door. Saffa stayed with me for a moment before heading out to join the others.

I could hear the greetings and conversation move from the hallway into the living room. I was alone in the kitchen with my phone, so decided to scroll through social media for a few minutes to distract myself, but I came across a post that comforted me.

It read, 'If Allah SWT has written that you marry him/her, then you will marry him/her no matter what. And if Allah SWT willed that you don't marry him/her, then you simply won't. Trust in Him. He knows what's best you.'

I knew in my heart it was 100% true, so I decided to drink a glass of water and simply stop worrying. I prayed some durood as Saffa walked in with a bouquet of pink roses and a box of Thornton's chocolates.

She raised her eyebrows and smirked as she laid them down on the breakfast bar. 

"He's quite the gentleman you know, brought these and gave them to Mama, though I can't help wondering if they're really for you..." she laughed, unable to keep a straight face as she turned around and saw the look on my face.

"Now come on, it's time for you to serve some tea, Mrs."

"Mrs?!"

"Yep, come along." She smirked, picking up the plate of samosas while I held mama's precious blue and white tea set and headed out the kitchen. I paused as I reached the living room door, took a deep breath, and stepped in,

Bismillah.

Aaaahhhh! They're finally going to meet each other! What do you think is going to happen?

I've attached some pictures (none of which I claim credit for as they aren't mine) at the start of the chapter so you can kind of see what I was imagining as I wrote the chapter.

Also, I won't be showing faces in any pictures simply because I want my readers to use their imaginations and paint the characters as you see fit.