THIRTY SIX

This morning, Rima and I had gone to see a venue for her and Sami's nikaah. They were both adamant that the nikah be done as soon as possible –and everyone else had agreed. Rima is basically a part of our family, she has been for as long as I can remember because we've been best friends since childhood and her parents are now very close friends with mine. Everyone had agreed that it would be best to allow them to get married sooner rather than later so that they could actually be alone together instead of needing someone there to keep it halal.

The morning was a success, and we found the perfect place for the ceremony to take place. Both the bride and groom wanted to have a small, intimate nikah, with a party the day before for close friends and family and a larger walima for the rest of the guests later on. We went for a quick brunch together then when I got home, I got a call from Ehsaan's mum.

"Salaam beti" her voice sounded strained and tired.

" Waalaikumsalaam Maa, are you alright? You sound tired"

"I'm okay, just stressed that's all."

"Oh, is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything's fine. Now, I want you and my Ehsaan beta to come see me later today, after he finishes work. Okay?"

"Of course, we were thinking of coming round tonight anyway."

"Good, I wanted to see you. But Aleena, don't tell the girls you're coming over. Yasmine and Noura are going to Aaminah's after college and they'll all be around if you say you're coming. I need to speak to you both alone."

"Okay Amma, I'll see you later then InshaAllah"

After hanging up, I was curious to know what was on Maa's mind, but I let it go, and texted Ehsaan to let him know our plans for the evening. He too had expressed curiosity at Amma's words, and we decided we'd just find out later.

After Ehsaan got home, he freshened up and we prayed together, then hopped into the car and drove to his parents' house. Amma made us all a cup of tea and we sat in the living room, trying to read the silent tension that hung in the air over Maa's head.

"So, you said you wanted to speak to us?"Ehsaan said, bringing up the subject that we were clearly here to discuss.

She cleared her throat and nervously placed her cup on the table in front of us, then shifting on the sofa. "Yes, there's something we need to talk about."

She paused.

"Your uncle, my cousin, Yaseen, and his wife in Ireland have just had a baby only recently. Anyway, Yaseen Uncle called me today with a proposal. He's spoken to all his family –that includes all of my aunts and uncles and parents and extended family - and I need to discuss it with you."

Ehsaan and I looked at each other, utterly confused. What kind of proposal is she talking about? Aaminah is already married and the twins are way too young yet.

"Yaseen and his wife have had their fair share of problems, its been awful from what I hear, violent at times and incompatible. Anyway, last night things got so bad, that she walked out, leaving the baby behind. She won't answer any calls, but her grandfather called Yaseen in anger telling him that she rang him and is alright, but won't tell anyone including him where she is. She has no intention of going back though apparently."

"Oh, that's awful"

"The poor baby"

"Yes the poor baby. That's where you two come in."

"What are you talking about?"

"The reason they called me is to say they need me to tell you two to take care of the baby."