TWENTY ONE

"Done?" he asked, pacing up and down the living room, passing his hand through his hair with a stressed expression on his face.

"Done."

"Now what?"

I shrugged, "We wait."

Those 10 minutes felt like the longest 10 minutes of my entire life. I went to go and pray Maghrib, and I raised my hands in prayer begging Allah for his mercy and for a blessing to enter our lives. As scared as I am, my heart yearns for this - a little part of me and him that will grow to become the coolness of our eyes, the sweetness of our home and the pride and joy of our lives.

I went into the bathroom to collect the stick. I had placed it face down so that Ehsaan and I could look at it together. I took it out to the living room and put it on the coffee table, sitting out and just staring at it till Ehsaan came over to look.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

That next moment was the most surreal and dreamlike moment of my life. One minute we're sitting there, staring at this stick and silently praying for the best possible outcome, hardly breathing, and the next, we're clasped in each others arms with tears running down our cheeks and a positive pregnancy test in his hand.

There it was, plain as day.

There was no doubt about it.

Two lines, not faint and blurry, but distinct and clear.

"Is this really real Ehsaan?!" I cried.

"You're going to be a mama Aleena, you're going to be a mama! We're going to be parents!" We laughed as he took me in his arms, kissing me and wrapping his arms round my waist and lifting me up till my eyes were level with his, our foreheads resting on one another's.

"I don't believe it! You're going to be the most wonderful father Ehsaan." I said, making him chuckle before he sat me on the sofa and placed his head near my stomach.

"Hey baby, it's daddy over here. Mama and I love you so much and we can't wait to meet you! Be good okay, and look after your darling mummy! Take it easy on her." My hands were clasped over my belly, unable to comprehend the ways that our lives would change from here on out.

We were disturbed by one of our phones ringing.

"Looks like everyone back home want to check in on us." he said, getting up to grab his phone.

"Ehsaan wait, lets not tell anyone just yet. I want to check with the doctor first."

"Of course my darling. Whatever you say, its our little secret." he winked at me.

We spoke to our families, our eyes glowing with happiness, and our voices filled with excitement. Keeping the news from everyone was killing me! But I knew it was best this way, to keep it between us until we completely and utterly sure.

It was a night of bliss for us, full of love and a shared feeling of purpose and serenity.

We simply lay in our bed, counting our blessings and praying for the best, not a clue in the world of the impact this monumental day would have on the rest of our lives.

And absolutely no idea of the turns our lives are about to take.

A much shorter chapter than the last few, but here we are, the end to the cliffhanger I left you hanging on yesterday!

This chapter is the beginning of a story filled with highs and lows, and I hope you'll stay and join me for their journey together...

Lots of love,

birdwithapen x