TWENTY THREE

26 weeks pregnant and time was flying by.

We'd made the move back to London and had bought a cute detached property to set up home for us and our sweet angel when he or she joined us.

Yes, that's right! More than six months into the pregnancy and Ehsaan and I still don't know the gender of our little miracle. We decided it would be fun to keep it a surprise and it would it make it all the more special when he or she finally arrives.

When we arrived, we were both bursting with excitement to tell everybody about our recent discovery and had debated how to tell them. In the weeks before the move home, Ehsaan's father and mine had got together to find us the perfect property to become our family home. Ehsaan and I simply approved everything and told them what we wanted before signing papers, scanning them and sending them back to the estate agent, and paying for the house before it was officially ours. I discovered that Ehsaan had been saving up for his family home ever since he got his first job, and he was beyond ecstatic and proud that the time is finally here.

When Sami collected us from the airport, we were driven straight to our new place, which Ehsaan's mum and sisters had done an incredible job decorating to our stylish yet minimal taste.

After a long night of tossing and turning with my growing baby bump we finally got some well-earned rest and got up to get ready for breakfast with our families –who were all coming to ours today to officially welcome us home.

As my bump was barely showing when we came back to the UK, I had just worn a loose top which was comfy for the airplane so Sami bhai wouldn't notice when he picked us up. For the get-together, I threw on a flowy midi dress with leggings and a hijab flicked over my shoulder, and nobody would even be able to tell unless they knew what they were looking for.

Ehsaan and I had been racking our brains for days now and we finally had the perfect idea. While we all sat in our living room with everyone around us, opening the housewarming gifts they'd bought, Ehsaan caught my eye and I smiled, quickly looking away so nobody would suspect anything.

We had also brought back gifts for everyone, so they opened those too. Cute purses for Yasmine and Noura, a bag for Aaminah, a pair of sandals for Saffa, and thobes for Baba, Papa, Bhai and Omar, Aaminah's husband. We'd also brought back abayas for all the girls and for mama and Amma, because as we all know, the prettiest abayas come directly from the Middle East.

I looked at Ehsaan, who mouthed, "Now?" to me.

I nodded and he cleared his throat, sitting forward on the sofa, facing me and smiling at everyone in the circle of family that were over.

"We got you all something else while we were away too, but it won't be arriving for a while yet."

"Oh Ehsaan beta you've bought us all quite enough! No need for anything else or you'll spoil us all!" Mama said.

"She's right, you two shouldn't have!"

I laughed, "Well aren't you all curious to know what it is at least?"

"Uh, YEAH, of course we are!!!" the twins squeeled.

"Tell us!" everyone chanted whilst the elders simply laughed at their antics.

Ehsaan and I couldn't contain our excitement.

"Okay then, if you all insist"

Ehsaan pulled out the envelope from his pocket and handed it to me. I took it from him and spun it in my hands as I looked around the room deciding who to give it to. My eyes settled on Bhai.

"Bhai, do you want to do the honours and tell everyone what our gift is?"

"Of course I will, the suspense is killing me here!" He stood up and walked over to me. Ehsaan joined us in the middle of the room. I looked up and smiled at him as he put his hand on my shoulder and everybody watched intently.

"Hurry up Sami, what's taking you so long!" Saffa shouted.

I stared at his face, his mouth hanging open in shock, his eyes wide as his mouth twitched slightly before a smile took over his face as he put two and two together and the news sunk in.

"Oh beta, be quick, please!" Amma said, laughing.

The room fell silent as he stared at the sheet in his hand.

He looked at me and whispered,

"Are you serious?"

I nodded and he asked Ehsaan, "No way?!"

"Yes way!" Ehsaan nervously laughed.

"AAAHHHH MashaAllah! Guys, I'm so happy for you!" He shouted, hugging me tightly.

"WHAT IS IT!" The twins screamed!

"I'm going to be an UNCLE!"

"WHAT?!"

Mama and Amma ran and tightly embraced both me and Ehsaan, asking us how far along I am as everyone passed round the ultrasound picture and congratulated us, quizzing us and asking us all sorts of questions.

It was a memorable day, and one that we would surely never forget.

I fondly remembered it as I tucked my chunky sweater into my skirt. Autumn is by far my favourite season, and in cold and drizzly England, I was glad to finally be able to wear cosy clothes after spending months in hot Dubai.

Ehsaan and I are going out for breakfast before going out to start shopping for the baby. More than halfway through the pregnancy and we hadn't bought a single item. I rubbed my big, round bump and smiled into the mirror as Ehsaan came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me, kissing my cheeks till I turned around and he could kiss me properly.

"You ready to go now darling?"

"Yes! I'm so excited!"

"Then what are we waiting for? Lets go!"