Chapter 1- Lily's birthday

The 1st of November was a sunny Sunday morning; it was Lilys birthday. She was turning 15 years old, and she was very excited. Max, her best friend, was worried about starting her new grade and had unfortunately forgotten Lilys birthday. Max was getting ready for school the next day as she wanted to boost her marks because, in their previous exam, Lily scored more than Max. Lily had a great party but didnt enjoy it as much as she thought she would have because Max wasnt there. Inside, she was a little angry at Max because Max told her that she wouldnt miss her birthday party for the world. Lily had called her a few times after the party but didnt get a callback or a response to any of her messages, although she knew Max had seen them. The fury that was inside Lily grew. The next day, Lily was still enraged and ignored Max at school. Max, however, knew why Lily wasnt talking to her. She knew because a few hours after the party ended, Lilys mother called and told her that Lily was distraught and angry that she hadnt attended her party. Max, who sat on the middle bench in the cafeteria with Lily, thought she could patch things up with her. She thought it would work, but unfortunately, she was wrong because whenever she tried to talk to her, Lily would give her the death stare.

Maybe if I sang that song to her, things would return to normal, Max thought. When everybody was walking home with friends, Max noticed that Lily was walking alone because Max wasnt with her to stroll the park. After a few minutes, Max caught up with her and started singing The Friendship Song, which Max and Lily had written together in the 3rd grade. A few seconds into the song, Lily joined in with a smile, and they continued singing while walking together. After they finished the song, they hugged each other for a few minutes. Max told Lily that she had forgotten her birthday because she was worried about her grades. Do you forgive me? Max asked. Lily nodded and said she was angry because Max told her she wouldnt miss Lilys birthday, but she did. After saying that, Max apologized, held Lilys hands, and started singing the friendship song while strolling through the park.

Max and Lily had been friends since the moment they were born. They lived next door, with only an oak tree in the middle. With each fight, they always came back stronger. They were the definition of best friend goals. Their parents had been friends since their high school days. And at this point, they werent just friends, and they were family.