Quirk Information {~My Hero Academia~}

Quirks are said to be the next stage of evolution in the human race. It is possible to diagnose a person as possessing or lacking a Quirk by analyzing the presence or absence of an extra joint in their pinky toe. People with only one joint will develop a Quirk while having two joints indicates that the person is Quirkless.

A person's Quirk will normally manifest around the age of four years old, although, it is possible for a child to be born with their Quirks already manifested, such was the case with Present Mic and the very first person to manifest a Quirk, the Luminescent Baby.

Although easy to forget, the fact is that Quirks are physical abilities. As such, they can be trained and worn out. When a person works out their muscles, the muscle fibers are destroyed and new, stronger ones grow back; this same rule applies to Quirks. However, should a Quirk be overused, the user could suffer any of a variety of drawbacks, depending on the nature of the Quirk. These drawbacks are usually simple ailments, such as dry skin or nausea; however, in some cases, the drawback can be much more severe.

There are also instances where a Quirk doesn't suit the user's body and the body can't handle it. Some people, such as Yuga Aoyama, suffer from birth defects that cause the victim to have difficulties controlling their Quirk. Such conditions can be bypassed through the use of support equipment, such as Yuga's belt. Similarly, Nine suffers from chronic pain and cellular degeneration due to the massive strain of his Quirk, Weather Manipulation.

Quirk levels can be measured, though only Toshinori Yagi's have ever been shown, being at 15,000 AP at his peak and reaching a low point of 2,500 AP in the present.

Although very rare, it is also possible for animals to possess Quirks, such as Nezu having a Quirk that gives him above-human intelligence.

Every Quirk contains an echo of the consciousness of its wielder; if a person's Quirk is transferred to someone else, the consciousnesses of the previous wielder will appear in the new user's mind, either as voices in dreams or manifestations in a mental mindscape. If further transferred to yet another new user, then that new user will experience the consciousnesses of all of the previous users. Though, these consciousnesses will disappear if the new user loses the transferred Quirk.

Quirk Factor

The term "Quirk Factor" refers to the collective physical and genetic traits that compose a person's Quirk. This includes the primary Quirk power as well as all the biological mechanisms that allow said primary power to function properly. Quirk Factors also contain a person's consciousness.

Under special circumstances, a second Quirk can be added to a person's genetics. There is a chance that the two Quirks may merge, becoming a new Quirk, as was the case with One For All.

Certain Quirks, such as Erasure, are capable of temporarily halting the expression of the Quirk Factor, rendering the Quirk unusable for a short period, but not affecting the Quirk Factor otherwise. There are other Quirks, however, that are able to directly damage the Quirk Factor of a target, preventing the Quirk from being activated until the user manages to naturally recover. It's also possible that a Quirk Factor can be damaged beyond recovery, causing the Quirk to be permanently suppressed.

The first instance was when Eraser Head was severely injured by the U.S.J. Nomu. Eraser Head's body sustained a large amount of damage, especially his face and head, and this caused his Erasure Quirk to have a much shorter time limit, as he has to blink more often because of the damage he took.