(1) The past

Arabella's pov~

"Come on bells,you can go higher!" Tobi called. I giggled climbing the tree , almost reaching the top. The branch snapped beneath me and I fell clipping a few branches on my way down and scraping my sides.
"Bella! You okay?" My 12 year old brother asked. I was two years younger than him but due to his rather tall stature I looked much younger. My long chestnut hair pulled into a loose bun contrasting with my vibrant green eyes. Tobi had brown eyes like my father and darker hair than mine. I took after my mother.
"Yeah come on it's getting dark we should head back." He sighed sadly rubbing his arm. A rather red handprint remained firmly printed on his forearm.
"Race ya!" I called as I sprinted out of the woods.
As I reached the door seconds before my brother, a feeling of dread overwhelmed me. My father was home.

Six years later~

I tiptoed from my room trying to avoid any confrontation from my father. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful. A round of screams and abuse followed swiftly after him seeing me trying to creep out. He had held of on my face as it was choosing day today. I knew full well where I was going no matter what my test results said.
"Clean yourself up, and don't make me look bad." He huffed straightening his clothes before leaving. I headed into the bathroom to fix my dishevelled state. I opened the mirror to look at myself. I was thin but I had muscle. I trained where my brother did learning to fight like he taught me. He'd left two years ago but broke his promise. He said he would get me out. But here I am two years later, about to leave on my own terms just as he did. I tied my hair once more before I ran from the house into the lines. All the dauntless came running in of off the trains, sprinting past us. I saw a girl I recognised a few people in front of me, Beatrice prior. I walked over to her calmly so no one would bat an eyelid.
"Hey, how are you doing?" I asked. Father hadn't let me leave the house in the last month scared Id run. Then he would be embarrassed by his other child. Tobi had joined dauntless standing my father up in front of everyone. A night I would never forget.
"Yeah I'm good, you nervous?" I nodded. She knew I was leaving, she was a close friend of mine after tobi left. If I didn't hate his guts right now I would have said I'd introduce them.

We piled into the hall me sitting next to the priors as my dad was leading today's ceremony. He finished his speech and began reading names out.
"Caleb prior." He called a few names in. Caleb rose and walked over to him slicing his palm. He hesitated before walking over to the erudite bowl and dripping some blood in. The priors all had horrified looks on their faces. Well, all except Beatrice.
"Beatrice prior." He called. She walked up shakily before slicing her hand. She hovered over abnegation before walking to dauntless. That's mah girl.
"Arabella Eaton." He called through gritted teeth. I rose and walked holding myself high. I smirked at him. I slit my hand and immediately went to dauntless. Cheers could be heard from the wild bunch. My father had rage filling his eyes but he couldn't touch me. Never again.
We all sprinted out of the hall me with beatris next to me though I was significantly faster. I saw the dauntless borns climbing and decided to go with it. I made my way to the platform. I quickly helped beatris up and we made our way running towards the train.
"What are they doing?" She called panting.
"Jumping!" I screamed as I lept toward the train. She wasn't going to make it!
"Beatrice! QUICKLY!" I screamed as she lept almost falling short. I gripped her arm as a candor next to me grabbed her other. I smiled to her pulling beatris aboard.
"Thanks." My best friend panted.
"Arabella, but please call me Bella." I said looking to the candor.
"Christina." She smiled and turned to the now seated beatris.
"That's Beatrice." I laughed as she was still trying to catch her breath.
"What are they doing ?"Christina asked.
"Jumping"I grinned. "Come on!" I yelled as I lept of the train rolling twice before sticking the landing. I walked over to my friends helping them up before walking to a very tall looking blonde. He had a silver eyebrow piercing and tattoos evident on his neck and arms.
"Ok everyone listen up! If you want to get into dauntless, this is the way in."
"Sweet." I say walking toward the front.
"What was that stiff." The built man glared at me. I chuckled.
"I said sweet." His eyes were shooting daggers.
"Well then you won't mind demonstrating." I laughed and nodded walking to the edge.
"If I die, so long suckers!" I called saluting as I fell backward. My hair came out of its bun and was now floating from behind me. I could see the tatted man smirking slightly as I fell.
"Stiff? Lemme guess someone-." The voice stopped as we made eye contact. My heart stopping for a second.
"No I jumped." I stated bluntly.
"Name?" He asked coldly.
"Ara- no. Bella." I said. His expression didn't change. I hopped of the trampoline as Beatris came hurtling down ever so gracefully.
"Oh god Beatrice, ever the graceful one." I chuckled helping her up.
"Damn, two stiffs. Eric must be throwing them." I went to open my mouth and remind him he was once a stiff when he shot me an icy glare.
"Name?" He said slightly more politely.
"Tris." My friend stated.
"Ooh, tris I like it." I hugged my friend. Everyone came down one after the other and finally the leader who I now know as Eric came down.
"Ok everyone listen up. I am a trainer along side; Eric, Jamie, and Angelica." Tobi called.
"I am four, follow me."
"Four? Like the number. What were one to three taken?" Christina mouthed off and I burst out laughing.
"What's your name?" He asked.
"Christina." She said cowering.
"Well Christina, if you want to survive here's a little tip, keep your mouth shut." I glared at him from he side. He had changed in the last two years, that was for certain.