(9) Eric's past and the chasm

Arabella POV~

I had no idea where I was going I just started walking until my legs got tired. I felt bad for lashing out at Eric and needed to apologise but first I needed to cool off. I wandered around the compound not caring who I saw or who was around. I just kept walking until I got into the training room. I saw tris there with Christina and will. Al was no where to be seen. I just walked straight passed them ignoring them completely.
"Bella, please talk to me I'm so sorry." Tris spoke her voice breaking.
"I trusted you the most out of everyone and I told u a lot of things and you knew four was my brother. You also know that I don't sleep. I never told you why because it's personal but clearly that didn't matter. You believed Peter and Molly for gods sake. You didn't even bother defending me or trying to stick up for me so clearly our friendship didn't mean anything to you. Fuck you tris and the rest of you as well!" I yelled storming out. I made my way up to fours room and let myself in. I took off my clothes and showered before braiding my hair and putting on the oversized tee four leaves for me. I noticed that my oversized jumper was missing.
"Hey four, have you seen that massive jumper that I wear."
"No I think you might have left it the training room." I shrugged not wanting to see Tris doing her normal overnight training.

I went to get water after four had gone to bed and sat on the sofa before my eyes started feeling heavy. I woke up about three hours later screaming. Four rushed in wondering why I wasn't next to him.
"Bella? Are you okay, why aren't you in the bed?" I sighed standing up and rubbing my eyes.
"Sorry I didn't want to wake you. I must have drifted off. I'm going to go for a walk and then I'll try to go back to sleep." He nodded and went back to his room. I made my way around the compound and up to the roof where I sit to watch the sunrise. As I make my way up a figure comes into view sitting on the edge. I walked closer and sat next to the figure realising it was Eric.
"How comes your up still? I didn't wake you up did I?" I asked looking up at his hunched figure. He sat straight turning to me.
"No I was up before you, don't worry about it." He spoke sullenly.
"Eric? What's going on?" I didn't break eye contact with him.
"When my mum and sister died I blamed myself. When I left we got into a very bad argument and I hadn't spoken to them since I transferred. i got a call in the middle of the night saying the house was gone and my family with it. It had been set on fire after my sisters cat knocked a vase into the fireplace. I wonder if I had stayed could I have helped them. Got them out of the house maybe." His voice broke slightly but he coughed trying to hide it. I lent my head on his shoulder and held his hand in mine.
"It wasn't your fault Eric. I'm so sorry that happened to you Eric and I wish I could help you. I'm sure your mum and sister loved you very much no matter the arguments you had. They are your family and they love you. I'm sure they are up there watching over you." I rubbed my thumb against his much larger hand trying to comfort him. Eric was as broken as the rest of us. He moved his hand from my and wrapped it around me.
"Thank you Bella." He whispered almost inaudibly.
"It's okay Eric." I smiled weakly and slowly began drifting to sleep on his shoulder.

Eric's POV~

I felt her go limp against my arm and pulled her into my arms so she would be more comfortable. She felt so delicate in my arms yet she was so strong. I felt my eyes droop slightly and began to drift to sleep along side her.

I woke up to the sun blinding me and realised we had training in half an hour. I gently moved the hair that had fallen in her face behind her ear. She really was beautiful. I shouldn't be feeling this.
"Hey, Bella. Wake up we have training in a bit." I spoke with a newfound calmness. She stirred and opened her eyes. A small smile formed on my lips as I looked down at her before I wiped it noticing she was awake.
"Hey, sorry I fell asleep." She smiled slightly at me and I couldn't help but want to hold her. Unfortunately we had to go for training.
"We have training in half an hour so you wanna go back and get your stuff from fours room?" She nodded and started to stand up. I stood up and and followed her down to the apartments. I went into mine and laid down on my bed staring at the ceiling. I am only two years older than her so we could make it work. Though her brother hates me and with what's happening. I let out a frustrated sigh. She was too good for me anyway. If only she knew what I'm about to do. And what I am. I got up and made my way down to the training room to see pretty much everyone there, all we were waiting on was the stiff. A few minutes later she came stumbling in, her eyes slightly red as if she had been crying.
"Ok everyone start practicing I'm going to put some pairs in the ring and watch you fight, the rest of you go to the punching bags. They filled out and I called up Christina and Molly to fight.

Bella's POV~

I walked to my punching bag which happened to be next to tris. Christina was fighting Molly which we all know wasn't going to end well. Molly had gotten better and had more muscle than Christina. Christina was small and quite thin. I started landing punches on the bag watching tris occasionally wince as her hands were so bruised. Four walked over to her and she turned momentarily before looking back at the bag and punching again. He watched her for a second before speaking.
"Your weak. You have no muscle." He paused and moved around her.
"Your never gonna win, not like that." She rolled her eyes and continued punching.
"That's good to know." She spoke.
"Yup, you have to use your whole body. Keep tension here." He moved her hips holding them in place much like how Eric had done for me during target practice.
"And go an offence. Your fast so you could win, if you attack first. You get inside and you have to the throat." She nodded appearing flustered by his hands.
"Four!" A voice called and he turned.
"Keep working." He said jogging off. She looked to me and smiled slightly. I wasn't ready to forgive her just yet.
"He's right you know." I say quickly as I continue punching my bag.
"I'm sorry Bella. I didn't know what to do." She hung her head.
"I know you are. Once the others apologise I'll think about being friends with you again but what you guys did really hurt me." She nodded and turned looking to Christina and Molly's fight and walking over to them. I followed her standing a little farther behind her. Molly was throwing Christina around the mat.
"Come on Chris." She whispered as Molly started punching her. Christina shuffled away holding her arm out.
"Stop. Stop. I'm done." She panted. Eric was also watching.
"You need to stop?" She nodded breathing deeply.
"Let me give you a hand." He said holding his arm for her to grab. She hesitated before taking it and he helped her up.
"Alright, let's take a break." We all stopped and he walked away with Christina following him. Tris, al, will,Peter, molly and I followed them wondering what was going to happen. We began walking in the direction of the chasm and I looked at tris who shared my concerned expression. He placed his hand on the small of her back grabbing her lightly.
"You alright now?" He asked a little to sweetly.
"Yeah- AHHH!" She screamed out as he launched her from the chasm bridge and hung her by the bottom.
"Grab the rail." He commanded.
"Or don't." He said letting go of her hand. She groaned gripping the bar. Tris gasped as everyone started shuffling forward to see what was happening.
"You have three options. Hang there and I'll forget your cowardice. Fall and die. Or give up. But if you give up your out." She groaned as water fell on her hands.
"Come on Chris." I said and Eric shot me a look. I bore my eyes into his in an attempt to get him to change his mind but his expression didn't falter. He remained stone faced, turning back to her. He was fighting an internal conflict, it was visible to those who looked close enough. His shoulders were tensed slightly and his brows furrowed lightly. I looked to tris as a sign to get ready to grab her. She nodded and we inched closer. Eric grunted quietly.
"Time!" He called sending tris and I into immediate action. I sprinted to her grasping her slipping hand from the bar and pulling her up with minimal effort. She fell into tris' arms heavy breaths coming from her frail defeated figure. I shot him a slight smile. I knew for a fact he would have held her for much longer if I hadn't been here. He usually made you hang until you were actually slipping then he'd grab you to stop you from dying. Or so I'd been told by other dauntless members.

(A/N: hey guys, sorry I haven't been updating my books I've been really busy with school and life's been hard recently. I will try to start updating more often again. Hope you have a good day or night!)