Chapter 1

Cover by : belladz07
———-

In honesty, life is whatever you want it to be, be spontaneous, shave your head, by an expensive bag just because, wear that scandalous outfit because it makes you happy.

After all, you only live once.

2 years later

2 years ago the man I was supposed to have my happy ending with walked out the door on me, it wasn't the first time he had broken me.

But it took me 2 years to realize that, that would be the most selfless thing he'd ever done for me.

The truth was that Nicholas and I would never both get what we want. There would always be obstacles and while partners should overcome them together, it just wasn't that easy for us.

After we had gotten officially divorced he went off the grid, nobody knew where he went, not even Charles.

For 6 months no one heard a word from him.

Then out of the blue, he showed up and went back to his life, truthfully I looked for him when he went off the grid.

To convince him that I didn't need a future without him.

But, after 6 months I stopped caring about it, I grew to hate him even more which drove me away.

Literally.

I moved states to go back to school for business. I gave Cassie the shop which wasn't doing so well but it's beginning to get more business so I've heard. while I stayed in L. A and attended school there, like a redo.

I was finally piecing my life back together, all because Nicholas had broken my heart for the better.

Annette and Lukas had gotten married last summer while Leonardo proposed to Cassie 4 months ago.

I was happy that my two best friends had their love life put together, as for me, I never really looked for someone.

I wanted my full attention on my studies so when I did return back to my shop I'd know exactly how to fix any future issues.

For once, waking up didn't feel like such a chore.

"4.67$ Please," The barista said with a smile, rummaging through my purse I pulled out a five and handed it to her as I sipped my hot chocolate with foam.

She handed me my change as I slipped it in my pocket and walked out, it wasn't every day that I got to treat myself to an overly expensive drink.

But today was extra special, today I'd be moving into my new apartment, I'd been saving for it for a while so this was a huge deal.

Just as I walked out I met eyes with a familiar someone.

My eyes lit up as Nicholas pushed himself off the window display and smirked, while I was supposed to hate him I learned to love him.

Because what he did for me would be something I would never be able to do for myself, and that truly was a sacrifice you make for someone you love.

I hadn't seen Nicholas in two years, but that didn't mean I didn't know he was still keeping tabs on me. It was a very Nicholas move.

Besides, it's what Nicholas' father would want.

Rushing into his arms the familiar feeling of his touch brought me chills in the cold weather, He wrapped his arms around my waist with a light chuckle.

Ironic how 2 years ago I would've never seen myself hugging him the way I was, I'd never even see myself loving him.

But things change, and that seemed to be a concept no one would truly ever get.

We stood their as friends a moment before pulling apart, I missed him as much I hated to admit. Even with all his flaws, he cared, a whole lot.

"Missed me?" he smirked reading my mind,

"Don't ruin it" I mumbled as I stared at him while sipping my coffee.

He chuckled as he cupped my face with his warm hands and smiled.

"Just as sassy as I remember" I attempted to smile but it looked more like a puckered smile,

I really freaking missed him.

"My parents are hosting a party next weekend back in New York if you'd like to come," He asked as we began walking,

did he seriously just ask me to his family's party. Did he forget that I haven't seen any of them in 2 years?

"Seriously," I asked dumbfounded as he turned his head and furrowed his eyebrows confused.

"Yeah? Do you have plans...?" He asked,

"Nicholas we're divorced, I can't just show up at your parent's house," I said reminding myself of those memories.

He glanced at me as we walked

"Sure you can, if you haven't forgotten they adore you married or not" He reminded me,

"Nicholas I don't know.."

"C'mon, it'll be fun I know you miss New York. Besides I've checked your schedule you're on break for another 2 weeks" He said in a convincing manner,

I did really miss New York...

"Keeping tabs on me, just as I suspected" I smirked as he lightly chuckled.

"It was the least I could do," He said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer as we walked.

"Why are you back here anyway..." I asked knowing full well he didn't come just for me,

"To come to get you obviously," He said in an obvious tone.

"I'm flattered" I sarcastically stated, he smiled while glancing at me,

"I'm meeting someone here, it just worked out," He said, I was a little disappointed, but I understood.

"Would you have come-"

"I'm sure you already know that answer," He said cutting me off, it felt good to be friends like this, not worry about marriage and ex's

just friends,

"I'll book us a flight," Nicholas said referring to our previous conversation about going back, I didn't say anything, I enjoyed the silence,

***

"I'm proud of you Juliet," Nicholas said as he walked around in my new apartment, I smiled confidently.

"It's great isn't it," I said proudly, my long awaited apartment, it was one bedroom good for me, pretty kitchen lovely bathroom I practically adored it.

Nicholas had sat down on my couch extended his arms, I hesitated for a moment to ask if he'd like to stay over while he's here but it just seemed... odd.

However, he was paying for my flight so I suppose I owe him this much.

"you can stay here if you'd like..." I offered, he looked up and smirked,

"Are you flirting with me" He joked, I scrunched my nose and looked away, we had been married before and this still seemed so awkward.

"It's the least I can do," I said, more in an 'I have to do this' manner.

"Sure," He said but I could hear the smile on his face.