Chapter Five: Lord Evren

It took a little while for everyone to regain their composure.

When they managed it, Relma stood up unsteadily and looked to see that the others were safe. They were. Then she looked around. No mountains had been torn down, no steam indicated boiling oceans, and the sky was a normal color. Relma took these as signs that the world had not ended.

Thank you, Elranor.

There were a few immense footprints, however, and the sacrifices were gone.

Had there been something Relma could have done?

"So this Lord Evren, where is his lair?" asked Ajax, dusting himself off.

"Well, old chap, if I remember it, it'll be up on that cave just below the castle," said Wrynncurth. "Though the castle wasn't there before." And he led on toward the castle in question.

The castle proved a huge structure of tall spires with white stone, situated upon a hill. At the base of the hill was a cave from which smoke was flowing.

"These lands are prosperous and fertile," said Estela. "I've never seen anything like it."

"Well, of course," mused Brandus, walking with them. "The lifeforce of those who are devoured by the reds goes into the land and ensures it grows. Those who sacrifice their lives ensure those they leave behind are prosperous."

"Something is wrong here," said Jomas.

"What?" said Estela.

"No, old people," said Jomas. "No one over forty.

"Where-"

"Eaten by the dragons, remember?" said Brandus. "I told you as much. Once you get to a certain age, you're less useful, so you might as well be removed—that way, the next generation can take over.

"It's the same with anyone born malformed or stupid."

"That's..." Estela shifted. "That's not at all like Escor."

"Yes, you much prefer to kill eachother off instead," mused Ajax.

"Battle is a noble profession," said Estela.

"So is a willing sacrifice to ensure the prosperity of your realm and your place in the afterlife," noted Ajax. "It doesn't leave nearly as many fields razed, I'll bet."

"Well, all this is true, but I'm more interested in Bryag," said Relma, remembering that dragon's sheer scale. "Tell me, what does everyone think of Bryag?"

"He is the most powerful of all the Red Dragons and guards all lands equally," said Brandus. "Even those that cannot make sacrifices to him. And it is fortunate that he does, for that sacrifice you saw is the first we've had in a decade."

"Why?" asked Relma.

"Well, Queen Vanessa insisted we do as much," said Brandus. "The truth is, Evren has not provided sacrifices to Bryag in my life before now."

"You mean to say that Bryag gets nothing from doing all this?" asked Relma.

"Well, nothing from us," said Brandus. "Lord Evren prefers us to make sacrifices to him and Queen Vanessa instead. Sometimes villages will make sacrifices to Bryag. Of their own volition, of course, when things are really bad.

"But many of the Lords don't like them doing that."

"I wonder why," mused Estela.

"In any case, Bryag protects," said Brandus.

Relma wondered how she could use this and what she had to do to avoid treading on local traditions. Obviously, abolishing any of them was beyond her power and a bad idea. Anyway, this adventure was just to give Relma a major accomplishment—something that none of the Kings of Harlenor could compare to.