Chapter 8

In the middle of all of that, the guy with the mask who had collapsed in the bathroom, gained consciousness.

Judging by his face, he wasn't very happy with the either of us.

He screamed-"ENOUGHHH!!!!"

He slowly came down the stairs and gave a cheek-shredding punch to Marla in the face.

In the blink of an eye, he tied both my hands and legs with some kind of strange gadget. He, then pressed a button in a remote control and before I could catch my breath. I was sliding towards the door. My whole body felt like it was on fire.

Natalie caught her breath and attacked him with a saucepan. Under different circumstances, I would've considered that a heroic act. But now, it looked quite stupid. Natalie wasn't able to hurt him but fortunately her reflexes were good enough. She didn't get hurt.

I was amazed!!!

Part of me wanted to scream encouraging words like-"yeahhh kick him in the arsee!!" or "YOU CAN DO THISS!!!"

But for some reason, couldn't speak

The guy with the mask seemed fed-up and pushed Natalie. She hit her head pretty hard on the dining table. Ouch!

Then , I was back to sliding on the floor again.

The voice in the megaphone went silent as if he already knew what was going on inside our cottage.

My legs, hands, torso were on fire.

As the guy with the mask was opening the door, miraculously he fell on the ground with a thud. I grabbed the remote from his hand which wasnt a tough task as he collapsed directly in front of me. He had two knives stuck in his body. One was in the middle of his neck and the other was in his right abdomen.

Natalie took the remote from my hands and began to fiddle with the buttons. She had a huge scar above her forehead caused by the sharp edge of the table.

I was untied. My hands and legs felt numb.

Marla was shaking behind us. She was the one who threw the knives.

Natalie went near Marla and suffocated her with a tight hug.

Marla's face was pale. To be honest, if I was her I would be jumping in glee at how heroically I saved my bestfriend's boyfriend by killing the enemy by throwing a knife at the perfect places.

I gave Marla a "thank-you-for-saving-my-life" face. I hope she got it.

By now , I was sure that Marla was totally a badass kung fu-ninja warrior.

Okay, so I had two powerful girls who appear to be professional fighters. So, maybe we could get out of there alive along with saving my mother.

But after a few seconds, all my dreams and hopes were crushed.

The voice in the megaphone was fed up and threw something inside the house. It looked a lot like a bomb of some kind. Uh-oh.

Again, before I could catch my breath, two hands grabbed mine and rushed upstairs. Natalie gripped my hand way too tightly.

Marla opened the window which revealed the sight of the freezing waters of the lake.

We were gonna have to jump.

Marla fearlessly leaped off the window.

Natalie looked at me. "Will, we have to jump, okay?"

I gulped.

With that being said, both Natalie and I jumped in the lake.

The freezing water felt like thousand burning knives, trying to stab me in my whole body.

My mom's beautiful cottage exploded above us. The bits and pieces were falling upon us. Luckily, I had a brave and intelligent af girlfriend who was smart enough to drag me into the water so that the remains didn't hurt us.

She swam and lead me as far as possible from the burning cottage.

I was underwater and I couldn't breath, obviously.

Nat occasionally dragged me above the surface so that I could breath.

Natalie gripped my hand tight and swam and swam and swam like she was born to swim. So did Marla.
I did a terrible mistake of trying to open my eyes. My eyes felt like they were being crushed by a huge bulldozer. Ughh. My whole body was aching with unimaginable pain. I felt like I was slowly dying a painful death.
We finally came close to land. As soon I came out of the water, I was shivering like crazy. My whole body felt numb and I couldn't move my fingers or legs. But despite everything, i did not die.