Chapter 4: Secrets

A/N: Hi. 'Sup? So...this is an AWFUL chapter in my opinion, but... I'll let you judge for yourselves :) Ummm...it starts out a little while after the last flashback ended. As always, please comment and vote! <3 Julia

Oh, wait! One more thing! I just cried for a few minutes over the death of Beleg, so if anyone wants to fangirl or have a civilized chat about it (there's a difference) you know where to find me ;P

Feanor is standing very close to my bed. I stare at the boquet of colorful, freshly-picked flowers that he offers. Though we still can't speak to each other, I get the feeling that his father will allow me to stay, at least until I heal. Grinning, I take the flowers and nod my head. He gets the message.

It's awkward, since we can't talk to each other. He studies me for a few minutes, and I study him. I study the way his raven hair flows down his shoulders and is intricately braided, the color of his eyes, which are like the dress my mother used to wear all the time, his ears, and how his golden and red clothing is still wet at the bottom from when he found me.

We both turn as a gently creaking sound, like footsteps, comes to the door. Feanor dashes over to open it. Finwe enters, looking down sternly on me. I get that feeling again, like I'm not supposed to be here. Both of the Elves seem to sense my nervousness. The ruler and I make eye contact, and he sneers before turning to Feanor, saying something, then leaving. Obviously, I am not important to him.

The footsteps sound again, but this time, the door opens to reveal the two younger elves. The dark-haired one is Fingolfin, and the blonde is...what's his name?

I point to him. Feanor looks confused at first, so I point to myself and say my name, then point to the blonde and cock my head to the side, raising my eyebrows and trying best to show my confusion. He nods and points to his brother: "Finarfin."

I smile as a form of thanks but quickly look down. I need to find a way to escape this place, but if I get to attached to its inhabitants, I fear I will never have the urge to leave, at least not to leave forever. A sudden thought strikes me: Where will I go? Melkor's fortress is out of the question, seeing as he just made an oath to kill me, and that is all I have ever known. As I look back up at Feanor, a sinking feeling settles into my gut. I can't leave because I have nowhere to go...which means that this place, whatever its called, will be my home. For now.

*        *        *

SOME YEARS LATER

I sit beside Finarfin near a small, trickling stream. Feanor and Fingolfin couldn't come with us because Feanor was studying something about forging, and the latter had matters to attend to with Finwe. Finarfin and I don't know each other very well, but it gives me an excuse to get out and about, and maybe to become better friends with him.

He leans back on the grass, the light glinting off his golden hair, which spreads out above his head. Copying him, I lay down, and my long black hair joins his yellow. We are that close together. At the same time, we seem to realize this, and we inch away. Despite me trying to hold it in, a giggle escapes my mouth. Finarfin grins at me.

"Luinil," he begins, "I'm glad you could come with me."

"I'm glad to be here," I respond, turning my head to look into his pale-blue eyes. There's a moment of silence before he sighs, the smile fading from his lips, and sits up, facing me.

"It must be hard for you," he says. His eyes are filled with something betweern concern, pity, and sadness.

"What must be hard?"