Chapter 1: The Dying Gull

1755
St. Martin, Caribbean
Annette's POV 

We had four rows of horses, three horses per row, all attached to rope that strung through the vents at the back of the bank. I sat on top of one of the horses at the front, sucking on some mint leaves while Gibbs, Marty, and Scrum ensured that the ropes that we had fed through holes in the building were connected to the vault inside the bank and were secure.

I twisted my back and whistled to get Gibbs' attention and asked, "where is Jack? He should be back by now."

"I'm sure he's coming," Gibbs reassured.

A woman's voice cut through the air like glass, "pirate!"

Soldiers from the front of the bank began shouting and clamoring, and Marty called out, "found him

Soldiers from the front of the bank began shouting and clamoring, and Marty called out, "found him."

"Make ready!" I heard a solider shout at Jack. They were trying to display their precious vault to the public, but we wanted to steal it.

"There's a woman with him in the vault!" A solider shouted.

Gibbs and Marty and Scrum started running, rushing to put the plan in action as I waited on the horse. Scrum hoisted Marty up onto a horse before jumping on his own.

"Shoot him!" I heard the Mayor shout.

"Oh, merde," I cursed under my breath. Jack's recent negligence and inattentive behaviors have caused major chaos amongst our little crew that we have picked up over the year since I've been back with Jack. He has always been disorganized, but lately it's been distressing.

"Come on!" Gibbs shouted as he spurred the horses forward, "pull!"

I could hear the soldiers guns going off in open fire. My heart stopped as a little gasp escaped my lips at the thought of Jack getting shot down. As the horses began to run, the vault was pulled to the back of the bank. It got stuck on the building, but Marty urged the horses forward.

"Pull!" Marty shouted.

"Come on!" I joined.

The entire bank started to shift behind us, and we started to drag the building away because the wall wouldn't give way for the vault. I looked back and watched the building follow us, and I kicked the rump of my horse to get him to run faster.