Chapter 3: Henry Turner

I sat across from Jack, glaring at him from our jail cell. They were all full, so we were forced to share. I sat and leaned against the stone wall in the corner that met with the bars of our cell. I had a dull dagger hidden in my boot that the guards had not checked for, and after finding a broken piece of wood in the cell, I started using my dagger to sharpen the end into a shank. It wasn't really working because the blade of my dagger was practically useless, but I still half-heartedly planned to use it on Jack the first chance I got. I could have used my dagger, but that wouldn't have been as satisfying.

"Let me get this straight," I said with a sigh and I rubbed my temples. "You exchanged the compass... a magic compass... for a bottle of alcohol?"

It was the middle of the night and Jack was starting to sober back up. It was the first time in a long time. The only thing between us was my coat which I laid out to dry. The cell was so disgusting, I wouldn't be surprised if we succumbed to disease before our execution.

Jack was sitting on the ground with his back against the wall he looked over at me from under his hat and responded, "I'm not exactly proud of it, dearie

Jack was sitting on the ground with his back against the wall he looked over at me from under his hat and responded, "I'm not exactly proud of it, dearie."

"You are an idiot," I said flatly.

"Who's to say everything I do is a hundred percent on the ball?"

"No one would say that. Tu me gonfles," I said. To me, Jack is a pirate captain. He is supposed to be a exemplary leader full of bravery. "Thanks to you, we are captured. If you would have fought like a man, you wouldn't be hung like a dog."

"You know, Annie, I've been a pirate for forty bloody years. Cut me some slack."

"I thought you had been a pirate all your life," I said.

"I have," he said.

I chuckled, "you are not forty years old."

"I'm forty-ish."

"You are not forty-ish. I am forty-ish. You were forty-ish... like... twenty years ago. You must be sixty-ish by now."

"You are being dramatic."

"And when I tried to get away from you, I get locked in with you." I shook off my dreadful boots and tossed them into the corner. If I'm going to die tomorrow, I might as well be comfortable.

"And whose fault is that?" He asked.

"I feel like you're implying mine, but I really don't see it," I said.

"You are not exactly the last company I'd wish for either," Jack said sassily.

"Oui, but at least I've never been marooned by my own crew... three times," I snapped, "four if you count Saint Thomas."

"Why do you always bring that up? I'm going to be very busy in the afterlife. The list of people I am going to haunt grows everyday and you just made my list."