Chapter 4: Execution

"Come on, pirate!" A soldier called out from the hallway leading to the jail cells. It was morning, and the sun was now shining through the windows instead of the moon.

Jack was being dragged with two guards on either side of him, leading him down the hall with me to follow. Jack's boots were dragging behind him as he let his weight sag, which I tried to do but the guards had no trouble dragging me. I ended up just walking, but kept trying to struggle out of their grasp.

"Save your energy," Jack said over his shoulder while he heard me struggle. "You know, for a clever lass, you really don't think things like this through. Dying is no fun when you're knackered. It's exhausting enough as it is."

"At least I'm trying," I spat back.

An inmate was singing, which echoed through the prison. I saw Jack do a double take as he looked in the cell, and the guards stopped walking.

"Dad?" Jack asked.

The pirate turned around, sporting a grey and black beaded beard and a black hat with a red feather. He had dreadlocks in his hair and silver teeth shining when he opened his mouth. He looked similar to Edward Teague, but he definitely was not him.

"Uncle Jack!" Jack said with a big smile.

"Jackie boy! How's it going?" His Uncle Jack asked.

"Can't complain really," Jack said, still being held up by the guards, "you?"

"I've been waiting' all morning in here for a beating. But the service is terrible!"

"Shameful," Jack shook his head.

"Who's the lass?" Uncle Jack asked.

"I'm Annette, nice to meet you," I said with a polite smile, despite the circumstances.

"How are you, darling?"

I answered honestly, "I've been better."

"She's a pretty one, Jackie," Uncle Jack said.

"Don't remind her, because she gets a big head and will maroon you," Jack said.

My jaw slacked at his comment, slightly insulted. "You really need to let that go."

"Jack

"Jack." He walked up to the bars, and the guards let Jack struggle and brought him to them. "The oceans have turned to blood. Best to stay on dry land where it's safe."

"I'm about to be executed on dry land," Jack said flatly.

Uncle Jack thought about it for a moment, "good point. Did I ever tell you the one about the skeleton?"

"Yes, you have. Many times, in fact—" Jack nodded.

"Skeleton goes into a bar..." Uncle Jack ignored him, "orders a beer and a mop."