A New Beginning - Part V & VI

The sun slowly began to set as I made my way through the pine plantation and into reserved bushland

The sun slowly began to set as I made my way through the pine plantation and into reserved bushland. The loamy white sand beneath my feet made it difficult to walk on when it seeped into my shoes and socks. I try my best to walk on the bits of limestone and over the leaf litter to reduce the amount of time I spent emptying the fine powdery sand from my shoes. Along the way I snapped off broken branches, collecting a nice supply of sticks.

I tried to think of creative places to stash them, but both back pockets were already full and I had one in my hand. Whatever these women were, wood didn't seem to have much of an effect against them last time. Apparently neither were kitchen knives, so I figured I'd just have to get creative.

Were they chasing me before I lost my memory?

Would they tell me if they were?

Probably not.

I trudged through the woodland and the dense undergrowth, feeling slightly relieved when I saw a clearing up ahead. Then came the foreboding, the anxiety, the fear. Clearings meant that I could be seen. Perhaps I'd get lucky, maybe they'd split up to look for me. Maybe I would have a chance if I took them one at a time.

No fear, just adrenaline.

I know what I have to do.

I entered the clearing and realised it was a road. Housing edged the street from one corner to the other, a park was in the distance. The sun sunk below the horizon as I followed the edge of the bush reserve, watching the road for any silver cars. I can't keep running from them. The problem is, when will they find me?

It took me an hour, but I found a place where I felt confident I could out run them long enough to split them up. The only problem was the size of the area. It was small, which meant I needed to be smart. Considering it was the middle of summer, I had to keep in mind that there would most likely be people walking around as well.

The sound of crickets chirping and frogs croaking echo through the tunnel. Pictures of clouds and a blue sky were painted inside the tunnel, earning it the obvious name of 'Sky Tunnel'. The wooden stake felt light in my hand. If staking wasn't enough, then I'd have to go to my back up plan. The hardest part would be hiding the bodies when I was done.

Footsteps echoed through the tunnel, I watched as a figure walked down the path towards the tunnel. No red hair, but yellow eyes. I pushed myself to my feet and braced for pursuit. Checking the other end of the tunnel, I started walking towards the lake. The hairs on my arms prickled as I sensed someone watching me, and I didn't mean yellow eyes.

I briskly walked through the tunnel and checked the edge above, then behind me as I left. No red hair yet, was she looking somewhere else, or was she hiding. Either way, there were too many houses nearby that would hear any screams.

Yellow eyes followed me through the winding path, following the stream that connected the small lakes. When I rounded the corner, my nerves got the better of me and I broke into a light jog. I glanced behind me but the yellow eyes isn't there yet. I slowed my pace so I didn't lose her, checking my surroundings for other assailants.