Surviving The Week 2 - Part I, II & III

I stared at the ceiling in the room, waiting, listening

I stared at the ceiling in the room, waiting, listening. The sound of light footsteps as they tiptoed down the hall. The shuffling of fabric, the soft close of a door. Elijah had finally gone to bed. It was 1 am.

I had a nap earlier when I got home from school. I didn't feel tired now, I had considered packing a bag, but that would be too obvious. The second they noticed my stuff was missing they'd know. It's not like any of this stuff was really mine anyway. Not the clothes, or the hair brush, nor the shoes I wore.

This was all bought for me, given to me, because I had nothing. Kacey and Delilah were great friends, but this wasn't my home, not really. I knew I wasn't supposed to be here. I could feel it. School was just an unnecessary amount of stress and for what? So I could get a good job doing something I don't even care about?

No, there was something else I was supposed to be doing. I needed to find out what that is. Elijah and Atticus, and even Claude, keep telling me to just stay at school and have fun. There are no answers for me there, at least not the kind I'm looking for.

Half an hour had passed now and I could hear Elijah softly snoring down the hall. Good.

Quietly I sat up and climbed onto the sill of my open window. Perched on the sill I listened, Elijah was still asleep. Stepping out on the the roof, I walked along the edge. There were vines growing up one side of the house, the side where no one slept.

Scaling down the vines quietly, I grinned as I finally touched the ground. Nodding silently to myself at successfully climbing down, I turned and stopped.

Nightmare sat on the ground before me.

"Please don't bark," I whispered and held up my hands in surrender.

Nightmare gazed blankly at me. I slowly crouch to the ground and touch her head with one finger. She bows her head a little and I give it a soft pat. Despite everyone telling me how much of a pain she is, and how terrifying she was. I found this little dog quite pleasant, sure she was a little cranky sometimes, but she was cute.

"I gotta go and find some answers, 'kay?" I whisper to her and then stand.

The little black dog shakes herself off and pattered around the side of the house. Taking a bike I check the maps on my phone. It was a long ride, but I could make it.

Peddling through the streets at night was easy. I felt more confident this time. I knew where I was going and what to expect. There was something about the silence of night that calmed me. The emptiness of just you, like you're the last person in the entire world and there is nothing to worry about.

And then some asshole blinds you with his head lights.

A jarring reminder that you are not alone in the empty quiet, and that you're not the only one who is awake right now. I rode down the street, my destination in sight.