The Invitation

Lord Schreiver sat in the grandest room in his castle, polishing a particularly old silver sword, which he'd once used to save his own life. He liked to sit in this room. It was his favourite. He'd often come up here to be alone and contemplate, particularly about his wife, who'd passed away not so long ago. It was hard for a man of his age to be alone after such a long time of togetherness.

There was a knock at the door and Lord Schreiver flinched, almost causing the heavy sword to slide off the desk.

"Come in!" He shouted quickly.

A servant called Jenkins entered, looking politely puzzled. "You called my lord?" He asked.

"I did?" He said, looking puzzled; his memory wasn't what it used to be. "Yes, I did," he nodded, finally remembering why he'd called for Jenkins. "I want you to send an invite out to the king of England," he said happily, rising to his feet and pacing slowly around the room. "I know that his family like to come here to get away from the strains of royal life. We have all this land, after all!" He laughed airily, gesturing out of the window at the expansive lawns and forest.

"Indeed, my lord," Jenkins replied.

"Tell him he is most welcome to stay for a few days and to bring his wife and daughter. They may like to take advantage of the wonderful countryside we have around these parts."

"Yes, milord."

"Send that boy you sent to the duke of York last week...er...what's his name?"

"Wilkins, milord?"

"That's the one. He is very efficient!" He commented, sitting back down again. "I think I'll very much enjoy the company," he muttered, more to himself.

"Very well, my lord," Jenkins said after a short pause. He bowed and exited the room, leaving Lord Schreiver to his thoughts.

*

Princess Rowena sat in her room as usual with her maid. Her father always thought it necessary that someone should watch her at all times. Rowena hated this. She was a very lively young girl and could be quite restless at times. She particularly hated going to grand balls and such events because she'd always have to wear the most uncomfortable clothes. She'd always prefer to play outside but, as she was the king and queen's only daughter she was protected heavily.

"Daddy said we could play out in the orchard today," she said.

"Yes, but not now. We shall take a walk later," Mrs. Hayden said.

Rowena took on a sad expression and leaned back in her chair.

"Sit up, Rowena!" Mrs. Hayden snapped. "You'll get your new dress all creased."

"I don't like it anyway," she said dismissively. "It's too tight and makes me feel like I can't breathe."

"Miss. Rowena!" She cried, looking shocked. "You shouldn't say something as disrespectful as that! Your Father has paid good money to keep you in clothes this fine!"

"I don't know why we have to wear these silly clothes. The people in the kingdom don't wear them."

"Well, that's because they can't afford them," she muttered, pursing her lips.

"Why is it that they can't and we can then?" Rowena asked.

"Never mind that now. Get on with your sums like a good girl," she smiled, indicating the sheet of parchment Rowena had been scribbling upon.

"I've done them all," she replied casually.

"Don't be silly, you can't have done all of them!"

"I have...look," Rowena replied defensively, waving the parchment in front of Mrs. Hayden's face.

Sure enough, she'd completed them all. They were quite difficult too. Rowena had a tendancy to do this. She'd often work out puzzles rather easily. Her father had always known she was bright and would brag to anyone who would listen that he had the brightest daughter in all of England.

"Then...didn't your tutor give you anything else to do?" Mrs. Hayden asked.

"No. I've done everything she told me to."

At that moment the door of the study creaked open and the king and queen entered. Mrs. Hayden bowed.

"We wish to speak alone with Rowena," the king said simply.

"Certainly..."

Mrs. Hayden left the room, closing the door behind her.

"Are we going out into the gardens?" Rowena asked at once. "Are we going to play outside? That would be so much fun! Especially with you daddy...and you mummy!"

"Please, Rowena. Call us as you would in public," her mother replied, looking uncomfortable.

By this she meant mother and father. They always corrected Rowena if she slipped up so that she would be less likely to do so at a social occasion. They wanted her to grow into a very proper young lady.

"No, dear," her father said.

"But you promised," Rowena said, looking disheartened.

"Yes...well, I am the king and I have duties but I have come to tell you of some exciting news."

Rowena sat on the very edge of her seat, looking up at her mother and father expectantly.

"Lord Screiver has invited us all up to his castle next weekend," he replied. "You remember him?"

"I think so."

"I know how you like to play outside in the fresh air and there's plenty of it up in the highlands. We'll get to spend some time together."

Rowena smiled widely, hardly able to believe her luck. She hardly ever got to spend much time with her mother and father these days.

"I accepted because I thought it would be a nice treat, towards your thirteenth birthday, perhaps."

"Thank you, daddy!" Rowena cried. She jumped up from her seat and hugged her father tightly around the middle.

"Rowena!" The queen scolded.

Rowena quickly drew away, her father looking sternly at her.

"If we do go," her mother warned. "I want you to behave like a proper young lady."

"Yes, mother."