Doubt

"You seem distracted," Helga commented.

She glanced warily across at Salazar, who had been silent for quite a while. They'd been tasked with moving great quantities of books into the library and ordering them, ready to aid their students and, in truth, also to aid themselves. The task was rather laborious but it kept them occupied whilst the others were down in the lower levels, dealing with working out the living quarters for the elves. Helga had offered to do this, as she felt a close connection with the creatures, but Godric had insisted that she help out in the library, as he'd sensed her eagerness to improve with the aid of all the amazing books that had kindly been donated by Coen before all their students arrived.

She could quite easily have poured over the dusty volumes all day, as she found the contents utterly fascinating, but at present Salazar was proving to be quite a distraction. He'd been behaving strangely for the past few days and she couldn't work out why. He'd always been reserved, of course, but there was something more to it – something she couldn't quite place.

"Salazar...?" She prompted, when he still didn't respond.

"Fine. I'm fine," he said quickly, forcing a weak smile.

"Are you feeling unwell?"

"No. I said I'm fine. Why are people incapable of listening – sorry," he said quickly, suddenly realising how sharply he'd been speaking. "There's just a lot to think about."

"I think I understand," she eventually said, after fixing him with her pale green stare for a few moments. "I know just what's been bothering you." Salazar suddenly felt his stomach plummet. "It's all this, isn't it?" She finally asked, waving a dismissive hand around at the expansive library, which was currently mostly devoid of books.

"How do you - ?"

"I know how you feel," she insisted, lowering her voice. "It's all so overwhelming, what with all we'll soon have to do. I mean, we'll be shaping a new generation of our own kind in a way no one ever has before. It's exciting but so very scary. I sometimes feel I have nowhere near the skill and ability that the rest of you have. I fear that I won't make a very good teacher at all. What could I possibly show them that someone else couldn't? They will look to us to guide them," she said slowly, her eyes glazing over slightly as she placed down the heavy book she'd been holding. "Their mothers and fathers will entrust us to shape them into their future selves. It's such a great responsibility. Are you alright?" She asked suddenly, noticing Salazar's downcast expression.

"I need to go outside and get some air I think."

"Sorry if I spoke out of turn. I didn't mean to upset you – " Helga faltered as she watched him dash away, her concern soon turning to confusion. If any of the founders should have felt so incredibly overwhelmed them it would certainly be her, not Salazar, who'd had so many more years of magical experience behind him.

As she turned back to glance around the library she sighed, knowing she would be here for the rest of the day.

*

Later that evening the castle was left in near total darkness, aside from one room – the great hall. Rowena had enchanted hundreds of candles to float above the tables to illuminate the setting for the first official meeting regarding their school. The buzz of excitement was quite something to experience as they all sat down to discuss plans in far greater detail. Coen, Alexis and Hubert were also in attendance, along with an excitable Polly, who'd kindly offered to take notes now that her writing had come on leaps and bounds.

"There's something I'd like to say before we start," Godric said, rising to his feet. "I'd like to say a big thank you to Coen, who kindly donated all the most sought-after booked in the wizarding world. Not only will they help our students but they'll also help us to become the greatest teachers we can be!"

Helga instigated an enthusiastic round of applause. Coen responded by tipping his goblet in Godric's direction.

"Not a problem, my boy," he insisted. "You should be familiar with most of them, as they greatly aided us during your training."

"They did indeed," he agreed, taking a sip from his own goblet of wine. "There are some great reads amongst those books. Salazar, you'll find some useful information regarding transfiguration and the like. I know you struggle," he winked.

Salazar let an amused smile curl his lips but was far from it. Beneath his calm exterior, his blood was boiling. Watching Godric take charge in this way – yet again – was infuriating. Did he really think he was the most skilled of them all? The idea was laughable but, for now, Salazar would hold his tongue.

"I've already been practising a number of charms," Helga piped up.

"You're coming along wonderfully, Helga," Rowena insisted. "You don't need half those books!"

She blushed a little but seemed pleased with such praise.

"Never mind that!" Alexis said, waving her hand dismissively. "You're all marvellous, we're agreed...but what of the school?"

"What do you mean?" Polly asked, looking confused.

"Well, how long until it finally starts serving its true purpose?" She prompted, rolling her eyes. Her words had become slightly slurred, as the effects of four goblets full of wine were finally beginning to take effect.

"Four weeks!" Helga piped up, her face positively glowing with excitement. "I've been counting down."

"It's come around so quickly," Rowena gasped, exchanging a look of momentary shock with the others. "What if things don't go to plan?"

"Don't be daft!" Alexis chuckled. "You've got nothing to worry about, not a single one of you!"

At this point Hubert caught Salazar's gaze and immediately looked uncomfortable.

"And neither will our students," Godric said seriously.

"Oh?" Rowena prompted, sensing that he had something important to say.

"Coen has kindly offered to stay here at the school and help with our cause."

Coen's thick moustache prickled and he beamed around at them all, his chest puffing out proudly.

"What do you mean, help with our cause?" Salazar demanded, somehow feeling rather offended.

"Well, Coen knows more about the wizarding world than any of us," Godric explained. "He taught me so much and he'll do so for our students."

"Will he?" This remark caused Rowena and Helga to glance uncomfortably between the two of them. "I don't remember being consulted on this change of plans."

"Consulted?"

"Yes. We are, after all, the FOUR founding members of this school. Surely a decision as big as this should involve all four of us?"

"I think it's a great idea," Rowena said simply. "Our students need someone like Coen. We could have used someone like him when we were younger."

"Luckily one of us was very lucky," he murmured under his breath, causing Godric to scowl.

"I don't see a problem with it," Helga shrugged.

"The problem is that it makes me wonder how many other decisions have been made without the say-so of all four of us."

"You should speak up now if you have a problem," Godric said sternly, staring him down with his intense blue gaze. "We're all here." Salazar said nothing in response so Godric continued. "Coen is to teach the students about our world and all about the creatures that inhabit it. Alexis will teach them about Herbology – "

"Alexis?"

"Don't bring me into it!" She grumbled, sinking down lower into her seat as she finished the last dregs of her wine.

"She is skilled with such things. I thought you'd be pleased that we're progressing," he said coldly.

"If we were progressing together then I'd be elated," he replied sarcastically. "I suppose I'm just not important enough to be involved with any of the decisions you make."

"I didn't make this decision alone!"

"Why are you being like this, Salazar?" Helga asked sheepishly.

"Perhaps if you had been there when we actually made the decision then there wouldn't be any issues," Rowena piped up, remaining calm but staring fiercely at Salazar, as though in warning. "We made the decision based on the good of the school. If you cannot agree with such a thing then maybe you should ask yourself why you're doing any of this. We can't all of us take credit for everything this is decided upon."

These words struck a chord with him, even though she hadn't gone into too much detail and hadn't raised her voice. For the first time that evening he felt quite embarrassed. Was he exuding the air of a petulant child, perhaps?

"You're right," he eventually said, breaking the intense silence and swallowing his pride for the time being. "The decisions you all made were good ones. I have nothing to add. I think we'll be teaching the students everything they need to know."

"Not everything," Godric said quietly. "I was going to ask that you also teach the students about the history of our kind."

"Me? Would you not be more appropriate, what with everything you have been taught?" He asked awkwardly, glancing across at Coen.

"You are the only one of us that has truly interacted with other wizards your whole life and you know far more than us regarding the history of our world. I thought you would be more fitting," Godric insisted.

Salazar felt suddenly foolish. He'd acted so ridiculously and all along the others weren't pushing him out at all – they had always tried to include him, even when he couldn't be present. This had been the fault of Benedick and his lessons, of course.

"That sounds like a good idea to me," he nodded.

"Then that's settled," Godric nodded, the relaxed atmosphere finally returning.

*

The next morning Rowena awoke rather early and, as she was filled with an excited buzz regarding all their new plans, she decided to take a stroll around the castle to keep herself occupied. The stillness of the place would have been eerie, had it not been for the visions Rowena held within her mind of what this place would soon be like. Soon all the empty halls and corridors would be bursting with life. She was used to living in a castle but this would be quite different.

She paused upon the third floor, having become startled by an unexpected sound. Gasps and grunts followed in quick succession with numerous thuds and bangs. Feeling rather tentative, she reluctantly approached the room where the sound seemed to be coming from.

"And again," Helga insisted.

She stood in the middle of the empty hall, having shifted many of the desks aside, and stood facing one of the elves that now inhabited the palace. It appeared that this particular elf was helping her with casting a number of charms and spells. It was throwing an array of different sized objects into the air on her command, which she then proceeded to cast her magic upon.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt," Rowena apologised, noticing that Helga had faltered.

"Did I wake you?"

"No, of course not. I was taking a walk and heard the commotion. Practicing again?"

"Well, I want to make sure I'm good enough," she shrugged, looking a little embarrassed.

"I hardly think you have anything to worry about," she said dismissively.

"You always say that but I just don't want to end up being the weakest link."

"The weakest - ? Oh, Helga, don't be ridiculous!"

"That's what you think I am?"

"Listen to me," Rowena said seriously, marching over to her and grabbing onto her forearms. "You are more skilled than you realise and you have far more to offer than you think."

"You think so?"

"Show me," she insisted, taking the chipped vase that the elf held and preparing to throw it.

She paused for a moment whilst Helga prepared herself and then tossed the vase up towards the rafters. It tumbled through the air and then glistered slightly as it began to slow down and shrink quite considerably in size.

"Wow," Rowena said appreciatively, after catching it once more. "But I'm curious...why a moving target?"

"Well," she said uncertainly, as though she thought Rowena might mock her. "I thought it might help me overcome – put me under pressure enough to – "

"Overcome what?" She frowned.

"I'm worried about performing some of the spells in front of the students, let alone teaching them. I thought this might give me the push I need."

"You're not the only one that's nervous, Helga, I assure you. You shouldn't be."

"Easier said than done."

"I know," she agreed, toying with the miniaturised vase she still held.

"Are you meeting Godric today?" Helga asked.

"That was the plan. What say we ditch the boys today?" She smirked. "We could go and explore the library. I bet there are books full of spells we've never tried."

"Sounds like a good idea!"

"Come on!"

"Oh, it's okay, Jack," Helga said quickly, as the elf made to trot along after them. "You can go about your business now."

"Thank you, miss," he squeaked, failing to hide his relief.

*

Belle finally woke up far later than she usually tended to. She supposed she had needed to catch up on her sleep after all the excitement of late. When she rolled over onto her side she listened intently, trying to shut out the merry sounds of the birds outside and instead concentrate of any signs of movement coming from the next room.

After pulling on her robe to stave off the morning chill, she scuttled out into the corridor and was rather surprised to see that the door to the room next door was thrown wide open. Salazar sat beneath the pale beams of sunlight, framed perfectly in front of the window in the well-worn armchair. He looked up from the book he was reading when he sensed her approaching.

"Morning," he smiled.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realise it was so late," she said, feeling a little embarrassed.

"I didn't want to wake you," he said, as he indicated for her to sit upon the arm of the chair beside him. "You looked so peaceful."

"I think it is you that needs more sleep just lately."

"How do you mean?" He asked, closing the book.

"Well, you've seemed...distracted. Like you're carrying the weight of the world upon your shoulders sometimes," she said slowly. "I've been worried."

"There's no need," he insisted.

"You seem different today," she commented, noticing that the frown lines that were usually present seemed to have eased and that his smile didn't seem so forced.

"How so?"

"You just look relaxed. It's nice to see you like this."

"I'm glad you think so. I feel contented. With my friends. With you. With the school," he added. He was oddly surprised to find that his words were perfectly genuine.

"Good. What is it?" He asked a few moments later, noticing that her expression had fallen somewhat.

"Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here."

"You're thinking of returning to London?" He asked, unable to mask the shock in his voice.

"No. I just...well, I'm a mortal! I see you and the others making such wonderful plans and I can never be a part of that."

"But you are!"

"I stay behind during each and every meeting you have about the school."

"You could come to the next one if you'd like...?"

"And what use would I be? I feel like I don't belong within this new life of yours. I don't feel I'm good enough."

"Don't ever say that," he breathed, placing a pale hand upon her delicate face. As she glanced down at him he could tell that the situation was genuinely bothering her. "Most of the students coming here will be just as new to this world as you are. You'll be one of the only people that truly understands them so don't feel that you're out of place. Please don't ever feel like that."

"I'm sorry. I just worry that I might lose you."

His gaze fixed intently with hers as he felt his heart clench uncomfortably.

"Never."

*

For the rest of their day the founders worked upon perfecting their own style of teaching. They were equally as nervous about it, whether it showed or not, so they wanted to put things into practice before the students arrived. Salazar had tried his best to focus all day. Belle had offered to serve as his student so that he had some form of audience but he'd graciously refused. He was still distracted, much as he hated to admit it and much as he needed to be anything but at the moment.

That evening the other founders met, as usual, at the Hog's head but Salazar was feeling far from sociable. He found it easier to work out his problems or concerns alone – he's always been the same. He took to strolling through the dim village, which was bathed in a rather sinister glow provided by the setting suns. He had no real idea where he was heading but felt the walk might clear his head.

His calm demeanour faltered somewhat when he spotted a familiar but rather unwelcome figure emerge up ahead of him. His posture immediately stiffened but he tried to keep his expression neutral.

"What are you doing here, Benedick?"

"Well, I thought – what with the arrival of your little students looming – we'd try to progress as far as possible with your teachings."

"I thought you were going to return in a few weeks for the next lesson."

"Dear me, Salazar. Anyone would think you don't want me around."

Salazar said nothing in response and knew that Benedick had interpreted the silence perfectly.

"We still have much to get through. I trust you understand how important the basics are...?"

Something suddenly struck a chord with him. Rowena had once insisted that reading even the most sinister and unwholesome of books provided some insight that could one day be helpful. Perhaps if Salazar delved as deep into this sort of magic as he possibly could then he could possibly learn to defeat it one day.

"I'm eager to get things underway."

"Good. The only problem is a location. I fear the residents of this little village may grow...suspicious," Benedick sneered.

"I know of a place we could go."