A Little Assistance

When Godric finally came to an unknown amount of time later immediate panic gripped him. He squinted into the shadowy area he was in, not entirely sure of his exact location. One thing he knew was that Helga was nowhere to be seen. He was about to call out for her when he flinched, sensing movement close by. A bright flame suddenly ignited and was used to light a lantern, which was held aloft by a giant of a man. He loomed over Godric in a very foreboding way and was frowning deeply, which made him a very unpredictable character.

"This one's awake!" He yelled suddenly, not taking his eyes away from Godric's face.

He stared around him in confusion, wondering who on Earth he could be talking to. The answer to this question soon became apparent as a small group of people entered the cave-like area he was being held captive in. A tall, gangly man was pulling Helga along after them, which infuriated Godric beyond relief. He was trying to shout a few well-chosen words at these people but it was no use, as he'd been bound and gagged. He compromised by just staring angrily at them instead. Helga had been bound and gagged much like Godric and her sparkling eyes were staring fearfully around.

One of the men stepped forwards and lowered the hood he'd been wearing. He leant down towards Godric and stared him directly in the eyes, as though trying to figure him out. Godric made a mental note to use his sword when his bonds were loosened but then realised he'd been disarmed. He noticed that this man had a bow upon his person and knew he would be no match for it. He wouldn't dare try anything for fear of hurting Helga.

This peculiar man, who was slightly older than Godric himself and had similar blue eyes, slowly reached forwards and pulled the gag from his mouth.

"I swear, if you've harmed a hair on her head - " He roared.

The man held up a hand to silence him and released Helga of her silence too.

"He hasn't, Godric," she said quickly.

"What do you want with us?" He demanded angrily.

"Nothing," he said, in a calming voice that only annoyed Godric further.

"Then tell me why we're tied up in this...this...where the hell are we?"

"You are in Sherwood forest," he said simply. "My forest."

"Your forest? You own the whole wood, do you?"

"Not officially," he smirked.

The men standing behind him smiled in amusement at this.

"Well, I'm sorry if we trespassed on your precious land!" He mocked. "But that's hardly a reason to hold us captive, is it?"

"Well, I beg to differ," he replied. "I'm a wanted man, much like yourself, I presume?" He added, raising his eyebrows.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he retorted, rather unconvincingly.

"A man like yourself, a man of such grandeur, taking a very inconvenient route through my forest? Highly doubtful! Unless that man has something to hide..."

Godric knew his shifty expression had just given him away and couldn't think of a justifying answer quick enough.

"So what is it?" Asked the huge man with the lantern, who was still frowning at him. "Theft? Treason?" He demanded. "Murder?" He added as an afterthought, glancing around at the others, who all exchanged dark looks.

"None of those!" He said defensively.

"Well," Helga said slowly. "Treason is sort of true..."

Godric stared at her with a look that told her quite simply to remain silent.

"Treachery, eh?" The man with the bow said, looking rather interested. He now turned his attention upon Helga, who stared sheepishly at him as he addressed her. "Do tell..."

"Leave her alone!" Godric snarled.

"I'm not harming her! Am I?" He added, smiling kindly at her.

She smiled awkwardly back, blushing slightly.

"So who is it you're running from?" He asked interestedly.

Helga glanced sideways at Godric before answering.

"Well, no one really," she replied. "We just can't be found by the king's men."

"Ah, I see," he nodded, looking slightly amused. "What did you do?"

"Nothing that matters to you!" Godric spat, beginning to loathe this man.

"Actually, it does matter," he shrugged. "We're not so different, you and I. I trust by your tone that you hate our king?"

"Of course!" Helga put in. "The king tried to have him killed because he was caught kissing the prin - "

"Helga!" Godric hissed, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

"So this is a matter of the heart then?" The man asked, smiling knowingly.

Godric ignored him and compromised by staring daggers his way.

"You're not going to turn us over to the king, are you?" Helga asked quickly, looking anxious.

"Me?" He exclaimed, beginning to laugh. "If I were to go anywhere near the king and his castle I fear I'd be in a situation much like you'd be! Though, your chosen route through England suggests that you intend to see the king."

"And what if it does?" Godric snapped.

"It just seems a little foolish, that's all."

"Maybe..." Helga said uncertainly, glancing quickly at Godric. "Maybe you could help us?"

"We don't need help from people like this!" Godric hissed. "They're just criminals!"

"Some would say so," the man nodded. "Others would say that we are saviours. We used to be."

"And what is it that you did?" Godric demanded sarcastically.

The man heaved a great sigh and Godric noticed the others exchanging glances again.

"The reason we had to capture you was because we cannot afford for the king's men to find us. They would not take too kindly to so-called thieves like us. Villages all around these parts were starving," he explained, in response to Godric's puzzled look. "The so-called peasants were left to scavenge for food whilst the wealthier men and women gorged themselves on food that would have fed everyone!" He stared angrily at the ground. "I've tried to help these people many times but it's becoming too risky. Doing this made us outlaws and, for all the good it's done, we might as well have not bothered!"

"Don't say that!" The tall man behind him said.

"Hood?" Helga gasped suddenly, her eyes wide with shock. "Robin Hood?"

The man stared at her in confusion. He then glanced around at the others, who looked rather shocked. He nodded.

"You know him?" Godric demanded.

"Yes. Well, no...but I know OF him!" She beamed. "You're tale is most heroic!"

"It is?" He said, looking surprised.

"Yes. I've heard of you before. I'm surprised you're not the talk of the whole of England!"

He smiled slightly at this.

"You still help the poor?"

He glanced awkwardly at the others and appeared quite uncomfortable.

"I'm afraid not so much," he replied sadly. "It is becoming too risky."

"Most in authority will have us hung and quartered if ever we were caught, they wouldn't think twice," the tallest of the men explained. "That's why we could take no chances with you."

"Oh...sorry," Robin said quickly. He looked as though he'd only just remembered they were still bound with strong rope and hastened to untie it. "I suppose you're free to go," he smiled.

"Right," Godric said, staring suspiciously at him. "Can I have my sword then?"

"Oh...yes, of course!" He nodded. "John, give it back."

The tallest man stepped forward and handed it to Godric, who quickly tucked it back into the sheath around his waist.

"Once again," Robin said. "We apologise for what we did."

"It's understandable," he replied reluctantly. "We'll be off then," he said, raising his eyebrows suggestively at Helga.

"Oh, bye then!" She called, as Godric led the way out of the cave.

As they passed through the group of Robin's men Godric didn't expect them to part but they did so, allowing them freedom. Once they were outside in the light it was made clear that it was early morning. Godric spotted his horse tethered to a tree nearby, trying to grab inquisitively at the leaves above him.

"Godric, wait!" Helga hissed, as he began to untie the horse. "Is there no way they could help us?" She pleaded.

"You honestly want to accept help from a group of people that just kept you tied up all night?" He demanded.

"But they could help us find a quicker way. They must know this forest well. They could help us find Salazar!" She added.

"And what do we want with Salazar?"

"I...well, he could help us in some way, couldn't he?" She urged. "I mean, he cares for Rowena too!"

"They are not helping us. We can do it alone!" He said defiantly.

He glanced in annoyance at the mouth of the cave he'd just exited, where Robin and his men now stood, watching himself and Helga closely.

"But Robin would know how to storm a castle!" She said, beginning to get desperate. She knew Godric was brave but didn't fancy their chances with only the two of them.

"What?" He demanded, distracted for a moment.

"He's done it before!"

"No, he hasn't!"

"Ask him!" She commanded.

Godric stared at her eager expression for a moment with narrowed eyes. He didn't want to believe her but something told him she was being entirely truthful. Abandoning his horse, he marched over to Robin, Helga in toe.

"You once stormed the king's castle, is that true?" Godric demanded.

Robin looked rather stunned by this sudden question and exchanged looks with the group standing around him.

"I wouldn't say that I stormed it, exactly."

"See!" He said, turning back to Helga.

"We got into the castle," Robin finished, indicating the others. "I couldn't have done it without my friends."

"Really?" He demanded, shocked beyond belief.

"Yes. Wait a minute," Robin muttered, narrowing his eyes. "You're not planning such an assault on the King, are you?"

Godric was about to deny this but the words he'd formulated in his head never actually got to his mouth.

"We have a friend that needs our help," Helga said quickly. "And to get to her, we need to get into the castle and back out again safely."

"Oh, I see. Good luck then!" He smiled.

"You won't help us?" Godric barked.

"Help you? I've already gotten inside that castle without authority and it almost got me killed. I certainly don't plan on doing such a thing again!"

"But you're our only hope!" Helga pleaded.

"I would love to help a young lady such as you," he said kindly. "But it would be more than my life's worth."

Godric watched hopelessly as Robin led his friends off into the trees.

"If you ask me, those stories are wrong!" Godric yelled, causing Robin to freeze. "You're no hero!"

"Who will your little adventure be helping exactly?" Robin asked coldly.

"Someone I care about very much," he replied simply. "Someone I would die for. That's what's making me stupid enough to risk this."

Robin stared at him, as though trying to see into his thoughts.

"A woman? Whom you love?"

Godric nodded.

"You can't be serious about this, Robin?" John hissed, noticing the thoughtful expression on his friend's face.

"If I did help you...do you have any sort of plan?"

"Well," Godric began to say, his mind horribly blank.

"No," Helga said honestly.

"Right then," he nodded. It was obvious from the look in Robin's eyes that he was already formulating something. "I can only help you get inside. After that you're on your own."

"That's fine," Godric nodded feverishly.

"Well, lads!" Robin beamed, slapping his hands together. "Ready for a bit of fun?"

"We should tell Salazar," Helga said anxiously. "He has connections with the king. He could help!"

"Salazar Slytherin?" One of the men asked.

"You know him?" Godric said.

"He lives around these parts. You wish for me to find him for you?"

"That would be wonderful!" Helga smiled.

"Wait!" Robin said quickly. "If he has connections with the king then how do we know he can be trusted?"

"He is an old friend of ours," Godric assured him.

"Very well," Robin said, nodding in the direction of his friend.

Godric felt that, deep down, he could trust Salazar. They had been such good friends with each other. Then again, it had been years since they'd met, not to mention the fact that he believed Godric and Helga to be dead. Could he have changed that much?

*

That evening Godric and Helga were welcomed into Robin's small group, where they shared a feast that one of his men, Ronald, had captured in the forest earlier that day. They sat huddled around a roaring fire and being like this made it feel like everything would be okay.

Robin was a strange character. He certainly gave the impression of a hero but he also seemed like a broken man. It was obvious that something tragic had happened within his life. He'd once been so great, so inspiring, from what Helga had said. He'd seemed to have lost that enthusiasm. Godric could understand that doing all that good for such a long time without much reward would make any man lose faith.

Godric had shared with Robin and his men what he intended to do and they were rooting for him to get his princess.

"And now, a toast!" Robin announced, standing up and raising a wooden tankard. "May our friend Godric - and of course the lovely young lady, Helga - " He added, smiling at her. "Succeed in their quest!"

"Godric and Helga!" The others chanted.

Everyone started to chatter noisily once more but were soon interrupted as Thomas, the friend that had gone to gain information on Salazar, came rushing into the clearing. Robin instinctively raised his bow but lowered it when he came into the firelight.

"What news?" Robin demanded, noticing that he seemed to have run all the way here.

"Lord Salazar..." Thomas panted, his pale face flushed red in his cheeks. "Travels tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow?" John demanded. "Where to?"

"Same place we're going," he replied, smiling.

"Well, that's handy!" Robin grinned, a plan beginning to formulate in his mind. "We have quite a task afoot, lads! Are we all ready?"

There was a general murmur of ascent.

"Ah, back to our old tricks," another of the men smiled, whose name was Will.

"Old tricks?" Godric said.

"You'll see tomorrow," Robin explained. "But now we must rest, we have a busy day ahead of us."

The others silently agreed and started to pack everything away and extinguish the fire. They all clambered into Robin's cave and were asleep within minutes, the fire having made them all rather sleepy.

One of them who could not sleep so soundly was Helga, who had many thoughts on her mind. She lay awake for a long time before she noticed movement at the other side of the cave. As a figure passed close to her, she pretended to be asleep, opening her eyes again to see Robin leaving through the entrance to the cave. She hesitated but then followed at a safe distance, remaining as quiet as possible.

She followed him down the embankment outside and through the trees until he stopped in a grassy clearing, where the moon shone brightly overhead. Her heart leapt as she accidentally trod upon a twig, which snapped loudly. Robin wheeled around, his bow ready to fire.

"It's just me!" She said quickly, feeling her heart race in fear.

"Sorry, Helga," he said quietly. "You can never be to careful."

She slowly approached him, coming to stand at his side.

"You shouldn't be out alone in the forest at this hour," he pointed out.

"I couldn't sleep," she explained. "And neither could you, I'm guessing."

"Your guess would be right," he smiled, looking sideways at her.

She stared at him thoughtfully, trying to fathom what could be going on in his head.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing that can be fixed," he replied, in barely more than a whisper. "And, therefore, nothing worth worrying about, as my father would say."

"Forgive me but I don't agree with that," she said, a little more boldly than she felt.

"You don't?" He said, turning to stare at her.

"Well, sometimes it helps to talk about things, whether it'll rectify a situation or not," she said knowledgably. "It doesn't help to bottle things up."

"You're a smart young lady," he smiled. "You remind me of someone I once knew," he added, looking suddenly saddened.

"Someone special?"

"Very," he replied, staring off into space. "The most amazing person."

"You loved her?" Helga asked knowingly.

He turned to stare at her in confusion.

"How did you know it was a woman?"

"You speak of her as Godric speaks of Rowena, his love," she said simply. "Who was she?"

He stared for a long time, as though considering whether to discuss it with her or not. The mere memory seemed painful.

"Marian," he said eventually. "And yes, I did love her. We were to be married," he added.

"What happened?" She asked, when he didn't elaborate.

"She died," he said. The moment he said this Helga wished she hadn't asked. "She was always so independent...so strong-willed. I tried to make her stay behind but she wouldn't."

"I'm so sorry," Helga breathed, her heart sinking.

"She was killed when we were trying to escape from our assault on the castle. It was my idiotic idea...my fault she died!" He spat.

"Don't say that. You can't blame yourself!" She insisted, looking pityingly upon him. "I don't think she would have wanted you to dwell on her death. She would have just wanted you to remember her. She would have wanted you to go on."

"Or maybe she would have wanted to live," he murmured, wandering off into the darkness.