Dark Teachings

When the sun rose the next day its rays managed to send a great buzz of excitement around the entire village. Although Hogwarts school was to be unveiled in all its glory exclusively to the founders, the villagers had got wind of the arrangement and were all very eager to see it too. Hubert didn't mind but it made him feel a little nervous that everyone would see it all at once. What if it wasn't as the Founders had expected? What if Salazar didn't approve? Just the thought of encountering Salazar's reaction made him nervous.

Hubert was the first to get to the castle, as always, and wandered through the many hallways and corridors on his own just to check that everything was in order, even though he knew everything had been checked more than a dozen times. As he made his way back down into the entrance hall and headed into the grounds he felt as though his chest was inflating with excitement, for he could hear a babble of voices just outside. When he reached the steps he saw a great crowd of people that began to cheer and applaud. Hubert felt rather embarrassed by this but managed a small wave. He was then greatly relieved to see the four Founders standing at the front of the crowd, all beaming appreciatively.

"We can't wait to see inside," Helga beamed, rushing towards him and looking more excited than he'd ever seen her.

"By all means..." He said quickly, eager to get away from the limelight. "Let's go inside."

The crowd began to mutter even more eagerly as he led the way up the steps, with the founders just behind him. Impressed sighs were exchanged as they entered the grand entrance hall and Hubert was surprised to find that he felt rather satisfied by this. Everyone's attention was soon drawn to the large stone statue that stood in the large space on the left. It stood ten feet tall and depicted the four founders in a very lifelike quality. Godric began to chuckle at the uncanny resemblance between himself and his stone counterpart.

"Who made this? It's wonderful." Rowena asked.

"Er...well, I just thought it would be fun to have something to remember how this school came to be - an honourable tribute to the four founders," he said awkwardly.

"You're certainly handy with a chisel," Salazar commented.

"Thank you," he replied awkwardly.

"Show us more!" A small boy from the village piped up, who was positively glowing with excitement.

"Please, feel free to explore," he insisted, not too keen on the idea of acting as a tour guide. He was relieved when the four founders remained where they were and continued to marvel at the stone statue. "I'd like to show you something quite special," he said quickly. "Now, I can alter it if you don't approve - "

"There's no ceiling in here!" Belle exclaimed, as they entered an enormous, cathedral-like hall.

As the others glanced upwards they too were able to see the bright blue sky as clearly as though they were standing outside. Hubert was rather amused by their expressions but knew he should probably explain.

"It was just a little experimental magic," he said apologetically. "I assure you, the ceiling is still there, it is only your perception that is altered."

"Hubert, how on earth did you do this?" Rowena asked, completely awestruck by his genius.

"I...well, it took a lot of hard work," he shrugged. "But I'm so glad you like it. You do, don't you?" He added quickly.

"I love it," Helga beamed.

"A stroke of genius," Godric grinned, patting him firmly on the back.

"Impressive," Salazar agreed. "It seems you have many talents, Hubert."

Hubert found it difficult to spare him a glance, as his nerves were creeping back through his body. He decided to press on and was very eager not to be left alone with Salazar. Even the prospect of one simple conversation brought him out in a sweat.

The entire village seemed impressed by the castle and hardly seemed able to believe how much had changed. It was magnificent. Helga marvelled at all the hidden rooms and secret passageways; Rowena was astounded with the way the staircases moved of their own accord every so often; Godric kept voicing his approval of all the grandeur and spaces for teaching; Salazar remained quiet and didn't comment on too much. Hubert had a good idea what he was waiting to ask and it was something that would be queried when they could speak alone.

"The students' quarters are more luxurious than most of the village!" Godric chuckled as they made their way back down to the ground floor.

"Our students deserve to be comfortable," Rowena pointed out. "They should feel like this is a home from home."

"That was my thinking," Hubert agreed.

"I can't wait to start teaching," Helga beamed, looking very excited indeed. "I hope I'll be able to teach them as many things as the rest of you," she added uncertainly.

"You'll do just fine," Belle assured her.

Helga forced a smile but still looked a little unsure.

At that moment an ear-splitting shriek rang through the entrance hall. Hubert, Belle and the four Founders all exchanged nervous glances. The sound seemed to have come from outside so they all rushed down the front steps and onto the lawns. They hadn't gotten too far when they managed to spot the source of the commotion, which had most of the village crowded together, either looking shocked or a little apprehensive.

"What are they?" Someone cried.

"How did they even get here?"

"They're just elves!" Helga shouted quickly, hurrying through the congregation. "It's fine, don't panic!"

Godric, Rowena and Hubert followed her through the crowd to observe the strange little creatures, who had round, bulbous noses and large, luminous eyes that stared uncertainly up at all these people. There were currently ten of the little creatures standing upon the lawn but more started to appear, causing people to gasp as they suddenly popped into existence.

"Sorry," Helga said apologetically, turning to Hubert and lowering her voice slightly. "I forgot to tell you. I told them to come here."

"How many are there?" Godric asked in amusement, watching as more elves appeared.

"Oh...a few," she muttered sheepishly.

"I didn't think we would be...er...teaching other magical creatures," Rowena muttered. "I mean, I certainly wouldn't know where to start - "

"Oh, no," Helga said quickly. "They're not here to be taught. You see, I offered them comfort and safety in exchange for the service they'll provide to the school. They can cook and clean and take care of the castle. They're really very good," she finished lamely.

"Right," Godric nodded, watching as the last few elves materialised.

"They had nowhere else to go," she said desperately.

"You really do think of everything!" Hubert said, his face splitting into a wide grin. "I think it's a wonderful idea!"

"They'll be happy to serve us and - " She suddenly broke off and looked down because one of the elves had trotted over and begun tugging on the hem of her dress. "Er - yes?"

"We are ready to begin, Miss. Shall we start preparing the feast?"

"Feast?" Godric piped up. "Sounds good to me!"

And with that the twenty-or-so elves set to work preparing a lavish meal for almost every person within the village and, just like Helga had said, they were more than happy to do so. Just over an hour later delicious scents began to waft their way through the castle from the kitchens that lay below levels. By the time the feast was finally served everyone was seated expectantly at the four long wooden tables. The elves dashed all around the great hall, trotting along with large silver platters held aloft.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" Godric chuckled, raising his goblet and beaming around at the other founders.

"So do I!" Rowena smiled, her eyes twinkling as she looked at him.

"My son is a true wonder!" Alexis cried as she suddenly appeared behind Hubert. He almost choked on his drink but forced a smile, still a little uncomfortable with all the recognition and praise. "Even if I do say so myself! Now, you haven't given your dear old mother the grand tour. How about it, eh?"

"Of course," he chuckled, hastily rising to his feet.

In all fairness, he was extremely relieved by the excuse to leave the table. Salazar had been making him very uncomfortable but no one else seemed to have noticed the strange vibes he was exuding.

Salazar felt that it would look rather strange if he went along with them so he had to remain seated, pretending to be enjoying the food. It was tasty, of course, but he couldn't enjoy this feast nearly as much as the others, who were all laughing and joking merrily. The feast seemed to go on far longer than he felt was necessary but he played along, trying desperately to ignore the gnawing sensation in the pit of his stomach.

"Salazar, is everything alright?" Belle asked quietly, gently clutching his arm. "You've not eaten much."

"I'm fine," he assured her, rising from the table as inconspicuously as possible. "I just need some air."

"Shall I come with you?"

"No," he said, a little too hastily. "No...you enjoy the rest of the feast. I think I've just had a little too much wine."

He strode swiftly from the hall but no one except Belle noticed his departure; they were too busy having a good time and toasting the success of Hubert and all his workmen.

The pleasant summer breeze was trickling in through the front doors in the entrance hall but Salazar certainly didn't intend to go outside. Instead, he hurried up the stairs, eager to track Hubert down. The castle was huge but he'd search all night if he had to. The corridors were dark and eerie but that suited him fine, as he could move about unseen, without arousing suspicion. Most of the villagers were now celebrating down in the great hall, as they'd now seen the majority of the castle. Salazar, however, wanted to see just one more feature.

When he heard footsteps ahead he walked a little more softly. Upon rounding the corner, his stomach flipped excitedly; Hubert was walking a little way ahead. He was perfectly alone and seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. This was a perfect opportunity.

"Have you been avoiding me, Hubert?"

He leapt so dramatically that he lost his balance and almost went crashing into the stone wall.

"Oh, Salazar," he said quickly as he tried and failed to regain his composure. "It's you..."

"You seem displeased to see me," he said slowly, approaching Hubert and noticing that his face was more pallid than it had been just moments before. "Why is that, Hubert?"

"No reason at all," he said quickly, forcing a smile. "It's just been a very busy day."

"It has," he agreed. "And I've been waiting patiently to speak with you. I think the time has come now that we're all alone, don't you?"

Hubert looked as though he wanted nothing more to leave but begrudgingly gave a small nod. He obviously knew what was coming and Salazar almost enjoyed the fear that flashed in his eyes. It made it clear that he could make things turn out just how he wanted.

"You remember our little agreement, I'm sure?" Salazar asked quietly.

"Of - of course I do. Everything is complete, just as you requested," he assured him.

"Good. I want to see it."

"See it?" Hubert muttered, looking crestfallen.

"Yes," he replied sharply. "Is there a problem?"

"Well, no..."

"You hesitated," he pointed out. "What is the problem? Tell me!" He hissed, when Hubert seemed unprepared to elaborate.

"I...I'll take you to the entrance," he said quietly, now very keen to avoid eye contact.

Before Salazar could say another word Hubert had begun to lead the way along the darkened corridor. Salazar held back many questions and demands as they walked, simply because he was so eager to see his secret area of the school...just his, no one else's. They moved down to the second floor and soon reached a door that was barely visible amongst all the shadows. Hubert came to a halt in front of the door and Salazar glared questioningly at him; he was looking distinctly uncomfortable.

"There's something I should tell you before...before you see inside."

"What's that?" Salazar demanded.

"The chamber that I had built is far below the castle but the entrance is...well, it's not a very desirable one."

Salazar was too impatient to listen to any more of his babbling and forced the door open. The room beyond was cold and so dark that it was hard to work out whether or not anything lay within. Once Hubert had lit the lamps at either side of the door Salazar was able to see properly.

"A rest room?" He asked slowly, feeling his annoyance begin to grow.

"It will be inconspicuous," Hubert insisted. "If you wish it to remain a secret then it's highly unlikely anyone will ever discover the entrance."

"It will be a secret," Salazar snapped.

Hubert seemed to sense the warning in his tone but couldn't convey through words that he wouldn't divulge the secret.

"This is the one and only way into the chamber," he pressed on, moving towards a circular section of stone in the centre of the floor. Salazar would not have noticed it if Hubert hadn't pointed it out. "You simply say the word Alohamora and it will open."

"I see..." He murmured. "Alohamora!"

The stone beneath their feet immediately began to grind and groan, echoing all around them. Salazar took a few steps backwards as it began to sink into the floor and shift out of sight. After a few fairly noisy moments there lay a dark hole within the floor. It was obviously the start of some sort of tunnel but it was impossible to see its end.

"This tunnel leads straight into the chamber," Hubert explained. "Perhaps I should show you - "

"No," Salazar snapped. "I shall go alone."

Hubert obviously wasn't keen to argue and nor was he foolish enough to try. He simply stood back and watched nervously as Salazar slid out of sight.

Cold air rushed past, soon causing his hands and face to become rather numb. The rushing sound in his ears was almost as bad as the disorientating darkness. Then he felt the tunnel begin to level out and he suddenly shot out into a much larger space. The air was colder down here so he assumed he was very deep underground. Everything was eerily quiet and still. Once he'd scrambled awkwardly to his feet he stood silently for a moment or two, trying to judge what lay around him within the blinding blackness. When he realised that his breathing was echoing around him he cast an orb of light into existence and his suspicions were confirmed as he found himself in a large entrance hall. The stone walls were bare and damp where water had seeped through from above but there was something oddly magical about the way the walls glittered.

He moved towards the only tunnel that led onwards, eager to see more. He had hoped for something a little more lavish than this, he had to admit. He soon realised that this area that ran far below the castle was a maze of tunnels and passageways. He was starting to doubt Hubert's promise and supposed that there had to be a second entrance to his secret chamber.

But then he'd found his way through to what had to be the chamber itself, the very thing he'd requested. At the end of the tunnel up ahead lay a great circular entrance that was guarded by a very imposing door. As Salazar approached it he knew what he must do and repeated the unlocking charm that Hubert had advised him to use earlier. The door immediately began to creak and groan, the sturdy metal bolts squeaking in protest as the door swung forwards. The sheer noise that it caused seemed to reverberate within his chest and made him both incredibly excited and anxious that someone might overhear. The latter was quite impossible, of course, as he was so far below the rest of the castle.

Once everything had fallen silent again and only Salazar's shallow breathing remained, he stepped through the enormous doorway with the glowing orb still floating along beside him. The moment he'd stepped inside the cavernous room the dim light illuminated everything. The dark stone walls seemed to glisten within this area too but not because they were damp with water. A walkway led over a number of fissures in the floor that channelled streams of underground water away from the room and at the other side was a great expanse of stone floor that transitioned smoothly into a set of stone steps. They led upwards into the darkness and Salazar soon discovered another slightly smaller room that had been filled with books and sleeping quarters.

With a satisfied smile, Salazar knew he'd be very comfortable down here.

*

The excitement at discovering his own secret lair - for want of a better word - within the castle had worn off slightly because his meeting with Benedick was drawing ever closer. He knew he had to be less obvious about his worries, as Belle was beginning to pick up on the change in his mood.

"Salazar, where are you going?" Belle asked uncertainly.

It was late in the evening and the sun had set just over an hour ago. Salazar and Belle were walking through the village, on their way to meet with the others. Godric had suggested that they meet to discuss their teaching methods and such so that they'd be prepared for when their students arrived. Salazar was obviously preoccupied, as he had to meet with Benedick in a short while.

"I think I'll return to the inn," he said slowly. "I'm not feeling too well."

"What is it? A fever? Sickness?"

"I'm not sure," he replied.

"Then I'll come back with you," she insisted.

"No," he said, speaking far more sharply than he'd intended. "You go and meet with the others," he continued, softening his tone as Belle stared reproachfully up at him. "Then you can tell me what has been decided later tonight," he added, feeling rather resentful towards the others all of a sudden.

"Alright," she nodded, observing him through her pale eyes. For a moment he worried that she might have guessed that there was something more going on. "But be sure to rest if you're feeling unwell."

"I will," he assured her, forcing a rather strained smile.

After a moment or two she seemed to accept this and turned away, strolling in the direction of the castle. Salazar watched her go until the darkness swallowed her up. He then turned on his heel and strode through the darkness, glancing around every few moments to check that he was neither being followed or watched. The village seemed conveniently deserted tonight and he'd soon reached the outskirts, where there lay a secluded barn. Benedick had decided that this would be the perfect place for their little meetings.

Salazar felt uneasy as he approached but was certainly not going to turn back. He knocked gently upon the door, which slowly swung open just moments later. Although his spine was tingling and his stomach churning uncomfortably, he stepped inside, closing them once again.

"Good evening, Salazar," Benedick said.

He stood directly ahead, bathed in the soft glow from an orb he'd cast. Salazar approached, apprehensive about what he had in store for him, but did not reply.

"I assume you're ready?"

"Of course," he muttered.

"Good. Before we start, how are things with the school? I trust that you are pleased with the end result?"

"It's a great triumph," he replied stiffly, not at all in the mood for small talk.

"And do you have anything of your own within the castle? I'm sure Godric has already had so much input."

"There is a chamber below levels," Salazar explained. "It was designed just for me. No one else knows about it."

"Now you are thinking like a true wizard. A safe haven within your new home, apart from all the others. A place to go when they become too much."

"They are my friends," he snapped.

"The closest of friends can often become more dangerous that the worst of enemies," he murmured.

"I thought I was here to learn!" He said through gritted teeth.

"Indeed," Benedick nodded slowly. "Then let us begin."

Salazar flinched as a sudden rustling sound came from the far corner of the barn. He squinted into the shadows and felt his spine tingle as a small figure ambled into the glow of the orb. Then Salazar realised that the small creature was in fact one of the elves from the school.

"Why have you brought that here?" He demanded of Benedick, utterly perplexed by such a decision. "If anyone finds out about our meetings."

"No one will find out..."

Salazar was even more astounded because these words didn't come from Benedick's lips but the elf's.

"What's going on? What is this?" He demanded.

"The elf will tell no one, Salazar," Benedick assured him. "Because he is under my control." Salazar stared at him, feeling more uneasy than ever. "Lesson one - control."

"Control?"

He smiled at the look on Salazar's face but, as usual, the smile didn't light up his eyes.

"A very convenient tool. I am going to teach you how to take control of any living thing you desire. Once you are skilled enough, you will be able to make people do exactly what you desire. But with this particular form of magic...well, you have to really mean it. Concentration and passion is the key." Salazar was now watching the elf and was unable to deny that such a power appealed to him. "Do you think you have what it takes?"

"Yes," Salazar said determinedly.

"Then let us begin..."