A Helping Hand

Helga Hufflepuff could not remember the last time she'd been this happy. She had, of course, enjoyed countless fond memories with her three best friends but a new hope seemed to be brimming upon the horizon. These days she seemed to smile for no particular reason. The life she led at present was one of mild adventure, something which she'd gotten a taste and a craving for after spending so much time with Godric in the past. Although, his type of adventure was usually a little too risky for her liking. This new-found life of adventure was slightly more subdued but provided her with both new people to meet and places to go, along with the old familiars as well.

She had stayed in various small villages and towns around Ireland and found herself welcomed in most places. She was recognised, of course, due to the fact that her father had once been renowned. He was still well-known for being a generous and kind man, everything Helga remembered him to be.

She was now taking up residence with an old family she had known since she was a child. Liam O'Donnell had been a good acquaintance with Helga's father, along with his wife Nora. They were kind souls and very supportive of the idea of Hogwarts. They also lived in their grand home with Liam's brother, Aiden, who was not so keen on such a prospect. He had never been as friendly but was quite civil.

"My dear Helga," Nora smiled one evening, as they all dined upon a grand feast of roast meats and seasonable vegetables along with the three children, Connor, Sian and Louisa. "When is it that you plan to leave?"

"Nora!" Liam barked, almost choking on his wine as he began to chuckle. "The girl only got here a few days ago!"

"Oh, no!" She said quickly, looking apologetic. "I wasn't referring to the fact that we want you to leave - you mustn't think that. No, goodness no!" She insisted. "I just hoped you might stay with us for a while. It's been lovely to have you around."

"Thank you," Helga beamed. "It was so good of you to let me stay. I'm ever so grateful."

"Not at all!"

"Helga!" Sian piped up, looking excitable. "When is it that we can come to Hogwarts?"

Sian was a bright girl, just turned nine, with a thirst for knowledge and adventure. Her wide green eyes seemed to glitter with anticipation.

"Oh, sweetheart, you know you can't go yet," Nora chuckled. "You're not quite old enough."

"Oh..." She groaned, looking a little disheartened.

"But you, my boy!" Liam said proudly, winking across at his eldest son, a handsome young boy with dark brown hair and eyes as kind as his father's. "You'll soon be joining the finest sorcerers in the land!"

"I can't wait," he smiled.

He spoke quietly and hid high emotions well but it was obvious that he was buzzing with excitement on the inside.

"And a fine wizard you shall make too!" Liam smiled.

They all ceased their talking as the large oak doors that led into the dining hall suddenly creaked open. As they turned to see who was interrupting their meal they met the sight of a man with dark, lank hair hanging just past his shoulders, dark eyes and clothes that would certainly not suggest he lived in such a grand home.

"Ah, I see you finally decided to join us, brother," Liam remarked, his tone a little harder now.

"I must apologise for my lateness," he replied, inclining his head slightly. "I couldn't help overhearing our current topic of conversation," he added, grabbing one of the remaining bread rolls and falling into the chair at the opposite end of the table to Liam. "The magic school."

"Yes," Nora said, not looking too happy that Aiden had decided to join them, late or not. "We were discussing the matter of Connor's attendance."

"Ah, yes," he smiled. "My clever nephew!"

Connor kept his eyes upon his food, not wanting to acknowledge his uncle's words.

"Tell me, Helga," Aiden continued, speaking through a mouthful of bread and causing Nora to grit her teeth in annoyance. "What are your fees for letting such urchins into your school?"

"Our students are not urchins," she replied, trying to laugh off this comment. "And...well, we have no need for fees. Some of our students' guardians cannot afford such things."

"And what of those that come from rich families such as this one?" He asked, indicating Connor.

"It would not be fair if we did that."

"Ah, a woman's view upon the world, of course!" He laughed, ripping another large chunk from the bread with his teeth and proceeding to pour himself a large goblet of wine. "But then how do you expect to maintain such a grand place of tuition with no income whatsoever?"

"I think that's enough," Liam said, after a long and awkward pause. "Helga and her friends will work it all out. It's no business of ours."

"More wine, Helga?" Nora asked, passing her the bottle.

"Yes, thank you."

"I'm just curious," Aiden went on, as though there had been no interruption. "What is it that the students will do once they leave your institution?"

"Afterwards?"

"Yes," he smiled. "I mean, you'll have a new generation of our kind running about eager to test out the practices they have learnt. Forgive me but such a prospect does not bode well. The mere Mortals become more and more suspicious all the time. It's almost as though you'd be adding fuel to the fire."

Helga felt herself flush red. His words made her feel foolish, despite the fact that Hogwarts was not all her own idea. In truth she nor the other founders had discussed the prospects of what their students would do after their teachings were complete.

"Surely a generation of wise and knowledgeable magic folk is safer than a generation that do not even know what their powers are," she retorted.

"Perhaps," he nodded, taking another swig of his wine. "I wish you all the best, Helga!" He beamed, raising his goblet to her.

The tension around the table was at its height but was soon forgotten when the door swung open, appearing to have done so of its own accord. It was only when a squeaky little voice broke the silence that they realised one of the household servants had entered.

"Master Aiden!" It chirped. "Forgive me, Sir. I wasn't aware that you'd be joining your family for dinner this evening."

Helga leant around the corner of the table to see a very familiar and sorry-looking sight - a skinny creature with bat-like ears and a pointy little nose, wearing only a scrap of material over its leathery little body. This was Silus, the house elf.

"Well, you shouldn't assume!" He said, not even looking in the creature's direction. "You're not paid to think for yourself! Then again..." He went on, a smile of wicked amusement lighting up his face. "You're not paid at all, are you!"

"I shall get you a plate, Sir!" He squeaked, sounding rather scared.

"Yes, you shall!" He barked after the elf. "And you'll be damn quick about it too!"

Helga tried to hide a scowl as the little elf dashed feverishly from the room. She was used to how others spoke to this often unusual choice of household servant but it got to her each and every time. She felt a great amount of pity towards them.

"I can't understand why you allow those incompetent creatures to work for you, Liam. They really are useless!"

"I'm surprised they still work for humans at all, if any of them should have an attitude like yours!" Helga snapped, unable to contain herself. "You are too hard on them!"

He fixed her with a glare she was unable to match so she took to staring silently down at her plate. Out of the corner of her eye she could see him smirking, though.

"You do have a fondness for unfortunate creatures, don't you?" He remarked. "It is in their nature to work as our slaves, Helga. What other purpose would they serve?"

Helga felt the anger burn within her gut and she found herself rising from the table.

"Please excuse me, Sir," she said quickly, nodding in Liam's direction.

He nodded in understanding and she hastily left the room, breathing a sigh of relief once she reached the cool and quiet of the hallway outside. After the few moments it took to calm herself, she made her way up to her room. She didn't get too far before she bumped into Silus, who had just flitted into the hallway through a concealed door. She gasped in shock but didn't look nearly as shocked - or frightened - as the little elf did. His eyes shone like moons as he stared up at her.

"Sorry," she said hastily.

"But...you...it is I that should apologise, Miss!" He squeaked quickly, getting onto his hands and knees and bowing so low that his nose touched the floor. "I almost caused you a grave injury. Oh, I am so very, very sorry. Please forgive me!"

"Really, there's no harm done!" She insisted, attempting to show him a smile of encouragement. "Are you alright after what Aiden said to you?"

"My feelings do not matter!" He gasped, looking astounded by the very notion. "Master Aiden was quite right to point out my mistakes. I have not been performing to my best of late."

"Why's that?" She asked, trying to fathom the meaning of the strange expression upon his face. "It it because he has been shouting at you?"

"No, Miss, certainly not. I am used to that," he added, with a nervous little smile.

"Then what?" She urged, feeling a fresh wave of sympathy wash over her.

"I cannot say!"

"Wait!" Helga called, as the elf began to dash off at a surprising speed for a being so small. "You mustn't suffer in silence. You should tell someone about your troubles. Silus!"

She hurried after him and managed to catch up at the bottom of the closest staircase, latching onto his arm before he could go any further.

"Please, Miss, I beg of you!" He squeaked. Helga was so shocked to see shining tears dribbling down his face that she let go of him immediately. He now seemed too beside himself to run any further, however, and crumpled to his knees. "They mustn't find out!"

"Find out what?"

"They will punish them all! They can punish me, for it is all my fault, but to punish them would be terrible!"

"Who?" Helga asked, becoming more puzzled by the moment.

"I cannot say," he whispered, looking up and down the dark corridor with terror etched upon his face. "They will be in great danger!"

"Silus...you trust me, don't you?" She asked, leaning down to his level. "I can keep secrets, I promise you."

"I cannot tell you," he said again, causing Helga's heart to sink. "But I can show you..."

His eyes lit up as he stared uncertainly at Helga, trying to read her expression. She nodded once and he leapt to his feet. As he began to lead the way Helga was forced to trot along in order to keep up. She almost crashed into him when they had reached the ground floor and he skidded to a stop in front of another concealed doorway, which he proceeded to prise open. Beyond this section of wall was a narrow stone staircase that led down into darkness. Helga reluctantly followed, careful with her footing, and they soon emerged in front of a heavy oak door. This door was coated in cobwebs and was small enough to force Helga to have to duck through.

"Please," Silus hissed, before he opened the door. "You mustn't speak of what I am going to show you to anyone."

She nodded again and he slowly pushed the door, which squeaked eerily. At first Helga simply believed she'd been brought down into on old storeroom that hadn't been used in years. It smelt strongly of damp and the stone walls had moss growing upon them in places. She was shocked when the things she'd believed to be piles of dissused sacks began to move. She felt her heart rate increase but stood her ground, wondering what on earth was going on.

"You can come out, it's safe!" Silus called softly.

Helga's state of shock only doubled when the room was suddenly full of movement and little eyes glittered within the darkness. As Silus lit one of the torches at the side of the room the forms of no less that fifty elves became clear. It was a miracle that so many had managed to fit into such a small space. It was at that moment that Helga began to wonder why they were there at all and why they were being kept down here, shrouded in secrecy.

"Who are they?" She managed to ask.

"Friends," Silus said simply.

"You said you would keep us safe here!" One of the elves piped up, sounding quite fearful.

"You are safe." Helga couldn't help but notice the uncertainty in Silus's voice as he promised this. "Helga will tell no one of this."

"Of course not," she insisted. "But why are you all hiding down here?"

There was a nervous silence and Helga could only assume that this great mass of elves were in trouble of some kind.

"They will all be in grave danger if they leave," Silus explained sadly. "Their jobs - their homes - are all gone. No one wants house elves anymore. I am lucky to still be here."

"But there must be somewhere you can go. You're all so useful, so efficient," she insisted. "There must be work."

"No, Miss," he replied, shaking his head. "A house elf that is no longer owned is seen as vermin. Should they find any of my friends wandering the land, they will be..." He trailed off, looking terrified by the prospect.

"That's awful!" She squeaked, feeling her stomach churn horribly.

"You are a kind soul, Miss Helga, but there are those in the world that are not so generous and caring."

She looked around at the sea of sad little faces before her and felt nothing but sympathy. She also felt rather useless, trying desperately to think of something she could do. Nothing came to mind.

"How long have you been down here?" She asked.

"Almost a month," one of the elves squeaked.

"I bring them the leftovers," Silus explained. "Though, there is barely enough to go around these days."

Helga could not find the words to reply and just continued to stare sadly around at them all.

"What you are doing is so noble, Silus."

"Thank you, Miss," he said dismissively, beginning to blush furiously. "But any other of my kind would do the same. Forgive me," he added quickly. "But I fear you may be missed. My master and his family may be looking for you and to risk them searching down here would not be good, lest they discover my friends," he hissed.

"Of course," she nodded. "I'll be going now."

She smiled in farewell to all the other elves, most of whom still looked wary of her, and then retraced her steps back up to the main castle. On the way back to her room she felt extremely restless, trying desperately to think of a way to help those poor creatures. If they stayed here they were bound to be discovered eventually but if they were left to fend for themselves they would all be dead within weeks. It all seemed so unfair that Helga shed a tear.

*

As the next morning dawned her head felt very clear, surprisingly clear. This enabled her to think more fluently. As she prepared for the day ahead she tried to think of a place that could require so many elves. It would be simpler to split them up but far too time consuming. The best bet was for them all to go to the same place. The only places that came to mind were enormous residences, such as castles. She doubted the king himself would want such creatures working for him. All she had to do was find a place that would have much work to be attended to and plenty of room. Somewhere that would truly require such industrious workers...

That was when common sense struck her. She already knew of a place - the perfect place! Without hesitating for a moment, Helga rushed through the hallways and passages and finally found the route she'd been led along the previous night. It took her a minute or two to remember the location of the concealed entrance to the old cellar. Once she found it she hurried down the staircase and heard a great amount of scuffling upon her approach.

"Miss Helga!" Silus squeaked in shock. "You gave us such a fright!"

"Oh...I'm sorry," she said, feeling guilty when she noticed that many of the elves were halfway through the act of scrambling beneath discarded sacks or attempting to conceal themselves within the holes in the wall.

"Is something the matter?" Silus asked nervously. "Does my master need me?"

"No. I have something to tell you - all of you!" She announced, beaming excitedly around at them all.

"Really?" He said uncertainly, exchanging nervous glances with the other elves.

"You all would have nowhere to go, should you leave here, is that correct?"

"That is right, Miss," Silus nodded.

"Well, I couldn't bare to see you all out in the cold, not when I have the perfect place for you - a place you could call home!"

"Please, do not get our hopes up, Miss!" One of the female elves squeaked.

"I wouldn't," she assured them. "This next month I shall be returning to Scotland, where my friends and I are to open up a school of magic. It is a very large school and it will need tending to. You would be most welcome there, I assure you."

The elves seemed to perk up slightly at this. Their nerves subsided and, though they still looked a little uncertain, there was fresh hope shining within their eyes.

"Where is...Scot-land?" One of them asked anxiously.

"To the north, just across the sea."

"It is cold up there, I hear. They have very cold winters."

"Our kind are not used to such cold."

"You wouldn't have to worry," Helga promised, smiling around at them all. "You would have shelter and food. You'd all be safe there. My friends would be as kind to you as I would," she added, feeling that they would appreciate the promise of kind ownership. She rather thought that most of them had probably had very poor experiences in that department.

"Oh yes, please may we come with you, Miss!" one of the youngest elves pleaded, looking very eager.

"But how will you get them all to your school?" Silus asked uncertainly.

Helga's face fell. She hadn't thought this through too much.

"Well...I would find a way. You would all be safe with my guard and I. The journey will, of course, be the riskiest part. There are many of you," she added, glancing anxiously over their numbers again. "But the journey should last no more than three days. If you so wish to come with me and live at the school then I will happily guard you along the way."

"Oh, you are so very noble, Miss!" Silus cried suddenly, making her jump in shock. Large tears had begun to trickle down his face, dripping from the end of his nose.

She was even more taken aback when the mass of elves all surged forwards and crowded around her knees, hugging her to show their gratitude.

"Now all we have to do is keep this a secret until it is time for you to leave, Miss," Silus said seriously, looking rather concerned.

"We will," she promised, flashing him a beaming smile that seemed to assure him a little further.