That Fateful Day

Godric ran as fast as he could in the smart clothes he wore. He was a fit young lad but he knew he'd still have to run flat out to get to the stables before the guests did. He sped up as he pelted along the fir-tree-lined dirt track that led to the open gate to the courtyard. He leapt through the gateway and headed towards the group of other stable boys, whom he noticed were all much older and taller than him, and lost his footing, skidding across the floor.

"Where on earth have you been?" A boy called Michael demanded as some of the other boys laughed at Godric.

Godric rose to his feet angrily, rubbing at the dirty patches he now had on his knees.

"I was just - "

He broke off as loud voices approached.

"Quick, the horses!" Michael hissed.

Each of the stable boys, including Godric, retrieved a horse from the stables behind them to show to the king and his family so that they could take their pick.

"What are you doing?" Michael snarled, glancing angrily at Godric.

"He won't stay still!" He replied, trying to get his horse to stop fidgeting.

"Ah, here we are!" Lord Schreiver boomed, making Godric jump as he suddenly appeared off the end of the path that led up to the castle. "Our finest stable boys..." he trailed off slightly, catching sight of Godric's muddy knees. Godric flushed red at this. "And horses," Lord Schreiver continued. "All our finest trained horses are here before you so please take your pick, milord!" He beamed, inclining his head slightly.

"Ah, good," the King said pompously.

Godric wasn't paying attention to what the king was doing and instead was looking at the young princess, who was standing at her mother's side, observing the horses with interest.

"Where's my usual?" The King demanded, looking closely at the horses.

"Unfortunately, he passed away some months ago now."

"Shame. He was a fine horse - good breed!"

Whilst Godric struggled to stop his horse from nodding its head the other stable boys stood stock still.

"What the devil are you doing?" Lord Schreiver hissed, as the king went to examine the horses at the other end of the line-up.

"He won't stay still!"

"This one!" The king said happily, pointing out a tall black horse that stood proud.

"Ah, a very good choice, your majesty. And milady," he smiled, beckoning the queen forward.

She took a much shorter time in choosing and selected a chestnut horse.

"And now the Princess."

She moved forward excitedly, looking at the horses with great interest. Godric could feel his horse pulling on the reins and tried his level best to stop him from fidgeting again. She looked in his direction as the horse started to nod its head about. She surveyed the animal for a moment and smiled.

"That one," she said, pointing it out.

Godric was shocked for her to have chosen his horse and smiled to himself as the other stable boys that hadn't been chosen yet looked disappointed. If you were chosen it meant you'd get to assist the king and his family with hunting and such activities for the whole visit.

"Oh, are you sure?" Lord Schreiver asked quickly, looking worried. "It's just that...well, he of our newest stallions here, quite young. He's quite feisty, as you can see!" He exclaimed, indicating the horse, who'd started to move about, not satisfied with standing still for this long.

"My daughter knows what she wants," the king replied loudly. "She can handle that horse, I'm sure."

"Very well," Lord Schreiver smiled. "You three, saddle them up. Diggory, saddle up Sir Trotalot for me. Let's retire for a little refreshment before we ride, shall we?" He said, smiling at the King.

They all agreed and moved back towards the castle.

"Why'd she pick your stinkin' horse?" Michael demanded, observing Godric's with a very annoyed look. "Sure you can handle saddling him up?"

"I'm sure I'll be fine!" Godric said coldly.

He was actually rather nervous about this. He didn't particularly like this horse. He was rather feisty, like Lord Schreiver had said. As he led him into the stall to get him saddled up he made a bid for freedom by pulling back to go outside again.

"No, we've gotta get you ready for the princess!" He grunted, tugging hard on the reins. After a little protest he stayed still as Godric threw the saddle up over his back.

Godric's neck suddenly prickled uncomfortably, as though he was being watched. He ignored it but the second time he could not resist and looked around. His eyes widened and he stepped away from the horse, sinking into a bow.

"You don't have to bother with all that," she laughed.

She looked very out of place standing in a dirty stable in her long gown that probably cost more than all of the horses put together.

"But you're the Princess. Everyone has to do that," Godric replied, trying not to make too much eye contact. He'd been told it was rude to do this to your superiors.

"Oh, for my mum and dad...but I'm not fussed. I just long to know what it'd be like to be normal, even for a day," she smiled.

Godric took a moment to admire her warm smile and, when he realised he was staring, he quickly turned back to the horse to slip on his bridal.

"If it's anything like this you're better off where you are," he said quietly. "You may long to be normal but we all long to be rich."

"Money isn't everything," she said defensively.

"Aye, I know," he smiled. "Certainly helps, though, doesn't it? Especially if you want to wear threads like those!" He indicated her gown.

"I don't choose to wear clothes like this," she replied. "We just have to. To show our place in society."

There was a short pause, in which Godric stared into her bright eyes.

"What's you name anyway?" She asked. Most superior people would request such information simply to know what to refer to you as when they called but she seemed to genuinely want to know.

"Godric," he replied hesitantly. "Godric Gryffindor."

"That's a good name."

"Sorry?"

"It has a noble meaning," she explained.

"Does it?" He asked in surprise.

"Yes. I can't remember quite what it means but I've come across it in a book before," she told him.

"You must be pretty clever to read books," Godric said in amazement.

"Have you never read a book?" She inquired.

"Never even opened one!" He laughed.

"Maybe I could lend you one some time."

"No point!" He replied. "It won't help."

"Can you not read?" She asked, sounding shocked.

"No."

"You're missing out," she told him.

She watched him for a moment as he checked to make sure the saddle was fastened tightly enough.

"Shouldn't you stay with a guard or something. It could be dangerous!" Godric said.

"I crept away," she smiled, her blue eyes glinting mischievously.

"You should go back then."

"No. I want to stay outside. I've had enough of stuffy castles to last me a lifetime." She paused here. "I want to ride!" She said suddenly. "Let's go riding in the fields. It's a lovely day!"

"No!" Godric said quickly as she pushed past him. "We should wait for the others. You shouldn't ride off alone!"

"I'm not going to go alone. You're coming with me!"

"Oh right," he muttered. "What!" He demanded, the words sinking in. "Look, you - "

"You know the lands, don't you?"

"Er...aye, I do," he said.

"Good. Help me up then! You shouldn't disobey a royal, Godric!" She added, when he hesitated.

He reluctantly decided he'd better do as he was told. He wasn't sure how to help her up onto the horse. He was afraid he might ruin her gown. He carefully placed a hand on either side of her waist and thrust her up onto the horse's back. She sat there smiling down at him.

"Come on then!" She laughed.

Godric looked around to check no one was looking and climbed up in front of her. He knew it was very inappropriate for him to be in this situation with a royal. He certainly shouldn't have been talking to her, let alone riding a horse with her. He felt his heart thumping hard against the wall of his chest as she wrapped her hands around his waist to stop herself falling off. If they were caught...

"Let's go then!"

Godric kicked the horse into motion and they immediately bolted forwards. This horse a fast mover and had carried them across the courtyard and down the dirt track in no time. Godric could breathe freely when he figured that no one had seen them. They slowed to a walk as they walked alongside a stream that trickled between large rocks and moss-covered trees.

"It's wonderful!" The princess said happily. "Do you often come here?"

"No, not really," Godric said sadly. "Most days I have to work with the animals or go to the market to help sell the cattle we don't need."

"I'm curious," she muttered, as their horse weaved calmly between the towering trees. "How does a peasant like you end up with such a name?"

"I don't know. You'd have to ask my mother," he replied.

"What's she like? Does she work up at the castle?"

"She's dead," he said shortly.

"Oh...how did she - ?"

"Died after I was born," Godric said, feeling a lump form in his throat.

"I'm sorry. That's awful."

"No, it's fine," he said. "Why are you so eager to leave your parents anyway? Couldn't you have just waited for them to join you?"

"You have no idea!" She laughed. "I'm stuck with them whenever we go somewhere like this. I'm with them for royal events, I'm with them on outings, I'm with them at dinner, I'm with them when we visit other places. I think the only time I'm not with them is when I'm sleeping!"

"Really?"

"Yes. Well, apart from when I study. I work with a tutor," she explained. "I never get to see children my own age. I wish I could."

They moved on up the a grassy area within the forest in silence. Godric had never seen royals as normal people but the princess seemed as normal as him or anyone else. She was easy to talk to, as she had a lot to say. They dismounted the horse and let him rest whilst they sat quietly on the grass, listening to the sound of the trickling water.

"You never told me your name," Godric said. He shouldn't have ever said this to a royal but couldn't help it. It was frowned upon and considered rude, as peasants like him were meant to be seen and not heard.

She surveyed him for a moment.

"Rowena," she smiled.

Godric smiled back, those blue eyes catching his.

Suddenly, the thunderous sound of hooves approached. Godric leapt to his feet and Rowena looked fearful.

"They've probably realised I've gone!" She said worriedly. "Quick, let's go before they find us!"

"No, Rowena!" Godric said quickly. "You can't do that. You'll be in even more trouble!"

Before they could do anything else the horses got ever closer. Godric froze in fear as Lord Schreiver approached behind the king, along with the queen and their guards. The king stared with wide eyes that made him look rather unhinged and leapt from his horse, striding angrily towards the pair of children. Lord Schreiver followed his lead.

"What is the meaning of this?" He demanded of Rowena.

"I just - "

"Did he take you?" Her Mother asked, looking horrified.

"What? No - !" Rowena said quickly.

"KIDNAP!" The king roared, spit flying from his mouth. "You tried to kidnap my daughter!"

"No, I didn't! It was her...she - !" Godric stammered fearfully, backing away.

"How DARE you blame her!" He snarled, grabbing Godric by the front of his shirt.

"Daddy, please!" Rowena pleaded, looking scared. "It was my fault, not Godric's!"

He turned to face her, looking angry.

"You call this peasant by his first name?" He hissed menacingly. "Cavorting with commoners like this filth! You are a disgrace, girl!"

"No, she - !" Godric began.

"And you!" He screeched. "How dare you run off with MY daughter! How DARE you! You little rodent!" He started to tug hard on Godric's collar so that he was finding it hard to breathe. "We shall not be returning here, Lord Schreiver. I will not have my daughter associating with muck like this! She'll be wanting a peasant for a husband next!"

"Daddy, you're hurting him!" Rowena cried, her eyes tearful.

The king looked down at Godric's purpling face and threw him to the ground with a look of disgust.

"We're leaving!" The king snapped. He lifted Rowena up onto his horse effortlessly and they rode off, leaving only Godric and Lord Schreiver in the clearing.

Lord Schreiver slowly turned to look at Godric as he wheezed and gasped for breath. He coughed into the ground, breathing in the sweet smell of grass.

"Idiot boy!" Schreiver roared. He flung out his leg and it caught Godric painfully in the ribs. "You made the king leave - the KING!"

Godric was thrown across the clearing and spluttered up blood. He moaned in pain.

"It wasn't my fault!" He managed to gasp.

"Don't answer back! Get up, you little runt!" He shouted. He grabbed him by the back of his shirt to make him stand and thrust him across the clearing once more, dragging him back towards the castle. "This means punishment, boy. I'll be lucky if I ever hear from the king again...kidnapping his daughter!"

"I didn't!" Godric contradicted, clutching his ribs in agony.

"You're out, boy! You're out for good!" He roared, his eyes popping madly.

"What?"

"You're not staying here anymore! You've messed up too many times!"

"No!" Godric pleaded. "Please, Sir, don't make me leave! I'm sorry. I like it here. Please, sir!"

"Shut up, boy!" He spat. "You've crossed the line this time!"

"But...where will I go?" He said desperately. "You can't just chuck me out of the castle on my own!"

"I don't intend to. You'll work. I'm sending you to Lord Hufflepuff's castle. He's a good friend of mine."

"What?"

"That's right, boy. You'll work there!"

"But I don't want to leave!" Godric said angrily, his wounds throbbing painfully.

"Tough luck because you're not staying here any longer than necessary."