An Urge For Adventure

The sun had just fully risen above the moors of Scotland, long shadows spanning their way across the grasslands and rippling as the blades swayed in a gentle breeze. It looked like the day had just started and, for most, it had but a select few had been up since the crack of dawn.

Ever since his return, Godric had promised Helga he would stay for a while. In actual fact, he didn't know where his life went from now on. If he was entirely honest with himself, he'd admit that he craved adventure. For now, though, he was quite happy waking up extremely early in the morning and helping the villagers tend to their fields and such. He'd built up quite a reputation, even though he'd only been there for a short while. Everyone knew him. Most knew of his background so were more than happy to let him help them with certain things; with the aid of magic, of course.

Most people in this little village were of magical descent, something that made Godric very comfortable. There was an odd sense of security about the place, being surrounded by so many similar souls.

"All done," Godric informed Alexis, as he placed the mound of vegetables he'd just retrieved on the work bench in the kitchen.

"Thank you, dear," she smiled.

"Do you know of anyone else that may need help today?" He asked eagerly, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"Perhaps the Gaunts down at the Inn," she replied.

"I'll get down there now then," he smiled.

"Godric," she said quickly, before he dashed out of the door and back into the summer sunshine. "I know you love to help but is there nothing you can do for yourself?"

He stared in confusion, unsure of what she meant.

"What is it you want?" She asked.

"I...I'm not sure what you mean, Alexis," he said apologetically.

"You must have plans for your future? You must want to become someone?" She prompted. "You would make a good knight from what I hear. Fighting for king and country...?"

"That's the last thing I want," he said coldly, knowing he must sound rather rude. "I would never work for the king!"

"Ah..." She said suddenly, as though remembering something important. "Helga told me all about your run-in with the king. On two occasions, I believe?" He nodded uncomfortably. "Then it's quite understandable."

Godric stood in the doorway, debating whether or not he should elaborate. He could feel Alexis's eyes boring into him, as though they saw right through him.

"No matter what I do, I'll always have to run. If ever the king got wind that I was still alive then I'd have to go straight into hiding again. What kind of life is that? Helga's no better off. He wanted all of her family dead. She's just the missing piece of the puzzle," he said sadly.

"They must have stopped looking for you years ago," she pointed out.

"They probably did," he shrugged. "But it doesn't mean we won't be found out as soon as we leave the safety of this village. We have no choice."

"Everyone has a choice!" She told him seriously. "The hard part is just making the right one for you."

"Well, it seems to me there's only one I can make."

"Perhaps," she muttered, continuing with the washing of the clothes. "But I see two choices - stay here and live a half-fulfilled life or go where you please and live like every day is your last. A young man like you can't be suited to staying in one place forever, surely?" She added, winking at him.

Godric considered this and realised that she had a very valid point. So much, in fact, that his heart soared for a brief moment, only to sink once more as his thoughts drifted back to Helga.

"But I can't leave her behind," he muttered, more to himself than to Alexis.

"Then take her with you. I can see how much she means to you."

"I can't, it's too dangerous!"

"I may not have known Helga as long as you but I've learnt enough to know that she craves adventure just as much as you do. I see it in her eyes!" Godric bit his lip in contemplation, unable to reply. "You just mull it over..."

Godric intended to do so, slowly making his way across the village to the little Inn, known as the Hog's Head. He was greeted by the very curvaceous daughter of the landlord before he'd even reached the door. She was rather fond of him but Godric, who often tried to avoid getting caught alone with her, couldn't say that the feeling was mutual.

"Morning, Godric!" She called, striking the usual hand-on-hip pose as he approached.

"Morning, Meredith," he replied, trying not to make eye contact in case she mistook it for a gesture of love. "Is your father around?" He asked quickly.

"He's had to go somewhere. I forget where..." she muttered stupidly, batting her lashes at him so wildly that you'd assume she had something in her eye. "But he left me in charge so I'm all yours!"

Godric tried not to look too terrified by this prospect and forced a smile, trying to ignore the fact that she had moved uncomfortably close to him.

"So where are these barrels then?" He asked quickly, looking around as though he hoped to see them lying rather close by. "Of mead," he added hastily, as Meredith began to giggle.

"They're through here," she said, in a very seductive voice. "Follow me," she added, beckoning him forth with a rather porky finger.

Godric reluctantly followed as she wiggled her way into the building, her rear end swaying backwards and forwards in a rather ridiculous fashion; he could hardly contain his laughter.

For the remainder of the morning he was forced to shift the weighty barrels up from the cellar and behind the bar in the Inn. He wouldn't have normally minded doing this but it was most off-putting with Meredith's eyes following every move you made. Just as he was beginning to think of spells he could use to stop her incessant flirting he heard a familiar and most welcome voice call from the doorway.

"Godric!"

"Yes?" He called back. "Er...yes, Helga?" He added, trying to disguise his first response, which had sounded rather pleading.

"Oh, are you busy?" She asked, looking between Godric and Meredith, who'd been standing with her shoulder brushing up against his for what felt like the hundredth time.

Godric scowled at Helga as she fought with her own laughter. He could tell that she knew all too well he wanted nothing more than to leave.

"Not really, no," he pointed out.

"Good. Alexis wants your help with something," she said.

"Oh, you're leaving so soon?" Meredith said, looking most disheartened.

"I'm afraid so," he said, trying not to sound too pleased.

"Make sure you come back and see me soon, Godric!" Meredith called, before he dashed out the door, winking pointedly at him.

Helga snorted with laughter, hastily disguising it as a violent cough.

"Okay, bye!" He called, relieved to escape her. "It's not funny!" He said, nudging Helga in the arm, which caused her to laugh even more. "So what does Alexis want me to do for her?"

"Nothing," she replied. "When she told me you were with Meredith I thought you might want rescuing."

"You are a true friend!" He beamed gratefully, kissing her upon the forehead.

"I thought we could take a break up on the moors," she suggested, as they entered one of the fields at the edge of the village. "You've been working hard all week. You deserve it!"

Godric nodded silently in agreement and sighed deeply once they reached one of the highest hills, slumping down into the long blades of grass. He squinted against the bright light of the sun, savouring the fresh smell of summer.

"Do you like it here, Godric?" Helga asked, watching him intently.

"Of course I do," he replied, laying back into the grass and closing his eyes.

"Good," She said, forcing a smile.

"You think I'll leave you again?" He asked knowingly, sensing her tone.

"Well, I...heard you talking this morning," she shrugged, causing him to open his eyes and sit up again.

"Oh, that," he said guiltily, unsure of how to handle the subject.

"I would more than understand if you wanted to leave but the thing I wouldn't be able to understand is you leaving me behind," she said quietly, avoiding his gaze and beginning to tug at the blades of grass.

"I was just discussing my concerns for you," he explained.

"But I'm not a child anymore," she pointed out. "I may not be as skilled with a sword as you are but I'm not completely incapable."

"I never said you were!" He chuckled. "Look," he said, when she still didn't look convinced. "I don't intend on leaving any time soon and, if I eventually decide to do so, you'll have first refusal as my companion."

She looked up at him at this and smiled happily.

"Of course," she said, grinning in amusement. "I can understand your not wanting to leave so soon. You have most of the young women in the village falling at your feet!"

"Hmm," he muttered, eyes widening. "But, of course, I'll only ever have eyes for one," he said sadly. "Not that I'll ever have her in my sights again."

"Rowena," she said knowingly. "If you ever decide to leave I know it'll be for her!" She grinned.

"No, it wouldn't," he replied, staring distractedly off into space.

"Why not?" She asked, looking shocked. "She's your true love!"

"A true love that thinks me dead," he pointed out. "I can never see her again. If I got anywhere near that castle her father would have me killed!"

Helga stared sadly at him, unsure of what to say.

For the rest of the afternoon they sat beneath the blazing sun, sharing memories of their lives that they hadn't experienced together. Helga was fascinated by all the tales Godric told her, about the magical creatures he'd encountered. She was rather envious that he'd got to see so much and experienced so much adventure.

They were laughing about the fact that Meredith had warned off most of the other young girls in the village, telling them that Godric was hers, when a figure suddenly came catapulting over the brow of the hill.

"Godric!" She squeaked, hugging him tightly.

He was rather shocked by this but after a split second of contemplation, he realised who it was.

"Polly," he chuckled, hugging her back.

He stared, unable to believe it was her. She still had the same features but was still able to look so different. She had matured, now in her mid-teens. She looked positively elated to see him and couldn't stop grinning.

"I've missed you," she told him.

"I've missed you too!" He replied. "How has life been with the Gaunts?" He asked.

Alexis had explained that Polly had gone to live with them soon after Lord Schreiver had died.

"Better than one on the streets," she said, looking uncertain. "Er...is it true?" She asked, brow furrowed in puzzlement.

Godric exchanged a glance with Helga, who looked just as clueless as him.

"What's that?"

"You're to be married?"

Godric stared, almost choking on the air he'd just inhaled. Helga's jaw dropped and she began to laugh.

"Excuse me?" He exclaimed.

"Meredith said - "

"I might have known!" Helga chuckled, glancing sideways at Godric.

"I don't believe her!" He cried, half amused, half annoyed. "No! The answer's no, Polly. We're certainly not getting married!"

"Oh...good," she laughed. "She's not really your type of girl."

"Definitely not!" He grunted raising his eyebrows. "What on Earth put that idea into her head?"

"Maybe you've been smiling too much when you're around her," Helga suggested, unable to contain her amusement.

He was about to retort when he was stopped in his tracks. They all turned to stare as Hubert came trampling up the hillside, panting as though he'd ran for miles. He stopped when he reached them, leaning on his knees in order to catch his breath back.

"What is it?" Helga asked anxiously, when he tried and failed to speak.

"Down...village," he gasped, pointing wildly. "Announcement!"

"An announcement?" Godric muttered, exchanging puzzled looks with Helga and Polly.

"Important!" He panted, indicating that they should follow him.

They did so, hurrying down the grassy hillside and almost stumbling into each other. When they reached the edge of the village five minutes later it was apparent that most of the village seemed to have been called out to hear this announcement. As Godric pondered what on Earth it could be, he followed the others through the groups of chattering people towards the village square.

"Come on then, Henry, we haven't got all day!" Someone called to a man that stood atop the raised platform everyone was facing.

"Er...people...!" He called, waving a hand impatiently, his other clutching tightly to a very official-looking scroll. "People of Hogsmeade! I have a very important announcement to make. I have received word from the king of England, a royal notification, if you will," he explained, looking honoured by such a thing. "This is a most exciting day for the whole country!"

"Get on with it, man!" Someone shouted.

"Yes...well," he mumbled, thrown for a moment. "It seems that a royal wedding is soon to take place!" These words didn't seem to register with Godric at first but, when they sunk in, he stared in horror, his heart beating painfully fast. Surely this couldn't mean what he feared it meant? "Yes, this autumn the princess and only daughter of our king will be married!"

There was a great outburst of noise as people started to clap and cheer.

Godric was frozen, unable to move. He had heard wrong? He must have. He stood perfectly still for an entire minute, the sounds the crowd were making seeming obsolete to him. Where his heart had been racing just moments before, he now felt a great void, his insides gone. It was a while before he noticed Helga staring at him sympathetically, for she was the only one who had some idea of what this meant to him.

"Godric," she said tentatively, clutching his arm because he'd become very pale and looked ready to topple over.

He slowly looked down at her and, without really knowing what he was doing, he stormed through the happy congregation of people. Helga stared after him in shock and hastily followed, worrying that he may do something rather foolish.

"Godric...Godric, wait!" She cried, racing along after him. "Where are you going?"

He stubbornly chose not to answer, trying to ignore everything around him. He had to stop this. He knew she didn't love him. How could she go through with something like this?

"Godric!" Helga said sternly, finally catching up to him and pulling him to a stop. "Calm down!"

"How can you expect me to do that?" He roared, making her flinch. He knew it was unfair to vent his anger upon her but he just couldn't help it. "She's going to marry him! She doesn't love him!"

"I know," she said sympathetically.

"I can't let this happen," he grunted, storming off again and heading to Alexis's cottage.

"What...?" She said blankly. "Godric, what are you going to do?" She demanded, chasing after him again and sensing a plan brewing.

"I'm going to stop this!"

"No!" She cried. "You can't! You said it yourself - if you go anywhere near that castle the king will have you killed."

"I'm not a child anymore," he said simply, as he burst through the front door. "I can defend myself."

"You against all of the king's guards?" She said hysterically, making the idea sound quite preposterous.

"I have magic."

"This is ridiculous!"

"What's going on in here?" Alexis demanded, entering the little house through the back door and staring between them in confusion.

"Godric wants to stop Rowena's wedding," Helga explained.

"Rowena...? Oh, the princess!" She said, suddenly comprehending. "Ah, the true love, eh?"

"Aye," Godric said distractedly, grabbing his cloak from near the door. "Look, I appreciate everything you've done for me, Alexis," he said, smiling weakly at her. "You've been a true friend but I'm afraid I have to go."

"Understandable," she shrugged.

"What?" Helga demanded, looking shocked by this response. "It's too dangerous! You don't think this is a good idea, surely?"

"Well, the road to true love isn't without its twists and turns," she said dismissively, waving an aged hand.

"But you can't!" She said, staring pleadingly at Godric.

"You would rather see your friend trapped in a loveless marriage?" Alexis asked, fixing her with that powerful blue stare.

"No, of course not," she replied, after a long silence.

"There you are then!" She nodded, as though this settled the matter. "You go to this love of yours, make her happy!" She smiled, winking at Godric. "But you'll take her with you," she added, jabbing a thumb in Helga's direction.

"What?" He barked, shocked by this suggestion. "I can't!"

"You can and you will!" She said sternly. "She can help you."

"Alexis," He began to say. "I don't think - "

"You're not the only one who cares about Rowena!" Helga snapped, looking offended. "She's my best friend!"

"I know that but it's just too - "

"Too dangerous for me but not for you?" She said angrily.

"Admit it, boy," Alexis said, in a tone of warning. "You need someone to keep you in check."

Godric stared down at Helga's expression and didn't have the heart to say no. He knew she longed for adventure and escape just as much as he did. Slowly, he nodded.

"Well, you'd better get going then!" Alexis pointed out, causing them to start rushing around and collecting their belongings for the journey ahead.