Chapter 4: Meeting With Monroe

When I got up today, the time was 8:49. I grabbed my phone from the charger. Checking the weather, I read it was 51° out. God damn, it's cold. But for November, it is not that bad. I dressed in a grey blue long line run bra with a black Nike joggers. Throwing on a black windbreaker with a white zip, I head out, not really.
Our Victorian style house has a small passage from the laundry room to Mary-Anne's closet. She keeps her purse in there whenever she brings someone home. I snuck through there to get to her purse. Grabbing a 50-dollar bill, I sneak back into the hallway. I sprint back to my room and grab my trail run shoes.

I slipped on my shoes and climbed out through the window. I would go on a run this morning but I'm hungry, so no. My run through the woods normally lasts 2 hours then I stop at the gas station for some snacks but, I think I am going to do it backwards today.

My walk through the woods to the gas station was nice; I like the smell of fresh air. I skipped across the parking lot and listened to the entrance bell chime. The kid behind the registered looked up and greeted me. "You're early! I was not expecting you until..." He looked at his watch. "... around 11:00."

You might be thinking why does this kid know me and my schedule. I have been coming to this gas station since I was younger and his first day on the job was one of my run days. Since then, I happened to make him a 'friend.' He is 19 with an older and baby sister and he decided that he was going to college next year because he raised enough money. When he first told me, I was kinda sad because he was cool, but I was happy because he had found his goal and he was getting there.

"Yeah, I did not feel like going on a run today, so I came to get food instead. I might just take an off-day." I reached into the cooler and grabbed a 32-oz riptide rush Gatorade. "Do you want me to ring up your usual or do you want me to wait?" "Could you wait? I might hang out with you for a little bit. My step-mom is home and I don't know what time my friend is going to come over." I smile at him. "No problem, doll. Sunday's aren't that busy. Maybe a couple of people every 30 minutes." He winked. "Monroe, you need to stop being a cougar. You know I am only 14. I only prefer people my own age." I placed my drink and a family-size bag of Boom-Chicka Pop on the counter.

Monroe, ringing them up, says, "That is not what your Snapchat says. Who was the pretty boy? $9. 56 is your total." I hand him the $50 and he looks at me in disgust. He hates when he has to break big bills. All I do is shrug and smile. "Eww, him, pretty? Levi is okay, but he likes to think that he is the center of the world. He does play a wicked game of basketball, so I think that is the only reason I keep him around."

I walk around the counter to sit in the barstool next to him. "Have you decided on what college you want to go to yet? I know you said you want to go local. Does that mean in state or in like a 2-hour drive distance?" "Yeah, I think I want to go to Virginia Tech. Tuition is not that bad and they offer a good architecture program. I just hope that my mom will .... Hello, how you doing today? Hey, it's pretty boy!"
I drop my legs from off the counter and lean forward. Levi is looking at Monroe confused. I just find it the funniest thing and burst out laughing. Levi looks down at me and smiles. I stick my tongue out and keep laughing.
"Where is the pretty person? All I see is Blue Jeans. Him and his ugly mug." Levi's smile instantly drops and Monroe's gets bigger. I lean back in the chair and prop my feet back up. "You know, if Manager Kyle walked in he would kill you." Monroe says smirking. "Oh pah-lease! I would like to see him try. I have been coming here since I was six years old. He knows me and he knows what side to stay on." I return the smirk.
Levi smacks his snacks and drinks on the table. "I stopped by before I came here and you wasn't home. Are you down for movie night and snacks?"
I shot up out of my chair. "Well, hell yeah! Make sure to bring Carrot, he's cool. But, we got school tomorrow, so you can't stay to late." "You need a ride home?" Levi askes pulling out his coke. "Nah, I'm good. I think I am going to stay with Monroe for a bit annnd Chit! Chat!" Monroe and I said the last part together with our little hand movement.

"I said this when Adam first came over. I am Not getting surrounded by crazy people." Levi walks out the door laughing. "You guys are definitely getting married even if it is just so you can 'boss up." Monroe shouts after him. I reach over and smack him hard on the back of the head. "Shhh. You can't let everyone know my plans." Monroe leans on close. "So, what's he got? Anything worth while?" "Roe, I'm in it for the money. He just drove out in a BMW Z4 sDrive M40i in Frozen Gray 2 Metallic. Those aren't cheap. Annnd, with a body like his, he would make a good sugar daddy." "Girrrrlll, don't go gold digging. But, if you do, can I get some money?" I fan-girl giggled. "Yes, Roe. I make sure we have fancy parties drinking the fancy champagne. You get the latest I-phones and the newest Gucci. You like that , doll?" I could not hold back my laughs anymore. I rolled out the barstool and laid on the floor laughing.

Monroe helps me up. "That was fucking fuuunnny. But, really. If y'all marry, I am getting money." "Monroe, you will forever be alone with that attitude." I walked to the freezer. "And I have accepted that as one of my options. If I am forever alone, I can be a dog husband. Or a dog father." "Aww Roe. That is cute but sad at the same time. Which one should I get?" I held up a tub of mint chocolate, superman, and vanilla. "No, Nope, Nada! You know that they are my favorite. I refuse to help you." "Ring up these three and Dark Chocolate Cherry. Oh, Do you have a spoon?" "You're high. I have a spoon in my lunch bag in the break room. Your total is $21.38. I go on break in roughly thirty minutes, do you want me to drop you off at your house?"

I peaked my head out of the break room. "Could you? The money is in my jacket on the barstool. You said you go on break soon, so is Kyle here?" "Yeah, he should be in his office in the back. If he is not, then check behind the building." I blew Monroe a kiss and skipped down the hallway with Dark Chocolate Cherry and spoon in hand.

I poked my head through the door way. Kyle was sitting there typing away on his computer with his wireless earbuds in. I slumped down in the chair in front of his desk and opened the ice cream. It was at a level where it was softened to a point where you could easily slid your spoon through. When I looked up, Kyle had a spoon and a small bowl. That is definitely him.

"Hey Big Man! What you doing?" Kyle looked at me blank-faced. "It is nearing the end of the month. I am doing the payroll and the monthly earning and spending. You have been here for an hour. What are you still doing here?" I placed my hand over my heart in mock hurt. "Monroe is taking me home during his break. If you want me gone that bad, I will be taking my ice cream with me." I reached over to grab his bowl of ice cream. He grabbed his pen and swatted my hand away. "You're so grumpy. Stop hitting people and smile. Please?" I gave him a big smile. I saw his lips twitch up. "Woohoo! We made progress." "Sit your ass down and stop yelling." "Nope! Take the front. We are going to leave."

I walked out of the room. "Get your keys, Whore! You're on break!" Monroe's eyes grew huge. I looked next to me to see an elderly lady, who was staring back at me angry. "Oh, Sorry Doll. I love your glasses." She huffed. "I want to speak to the manager. You are down right disrespectful." I held in a laugh. "I don't work here." With that I grabbed my ice cream and other snacks and walked out.

Monroe soon exited. I could tell he was laughing without even hearing him. His walk was nowhere near a straight line and his chin was touching his chest.  When he got in the car, he put his head on my shoulder and I could feel the moisture on my shoulder. I laughed along with Monroe for five minutes until he sat up and handed me my windbreaker.
I leaned back and put my ice cream in the cooler that sat on the back seat. "You know my address, right?"  "Not necessarily. But, I know the general area that I need to go."
I watched the scenery go by. It was a pretty view. Most of the leaves had fallen off of the trees, allowing you to see through the woods. When we pulled up on my road, I sat up. The houses in my side of the road were more old and some were small or a three bedroom, two bath house. As you went down the road, the houses got bigger and modern. At the end though, the houses had lots of acreage and nice woods behind them.
Monroe slowed down by my house. I looked across him out the window and saw Mary-Anne talking to a man on the front porch. Oh, Shit! "Monroe, keep driving."