Chapter 5: Problematic Encounters

'Monroe, Drive. Just keep driving!' was all I kept saying and I prayed he did not ask any questions.  Monroe nodded in understanding, noticing the man next to Mary-Anne. "Where to, boss?" I laughed at Roe and smiled over at him. "I don't know, yet. Just keep driving for now." "You can talk about it if you want. I will listen and not judge. I am not going to push you, but just know that you can talk to me." I bit my lip and tried to keep the tears in my eyes. I am not an extremely emotional person, but when people I love make me feel special, I cry. 

"I love you, Roe. I can't imagine life without you as my friend. I don't want to talk about it just yet, but I am not allowed to be seen by any exploration of Mary-Anne." I looked to the front of the car and saw the entrance to Mountain Rise, the rich, fancy neighborhood. "Monroe, pull into the neighbor hood up here. It is about 2.5 mile walk back to my house. If you let me borrow your backpack cooler, I can make it home before the ice cream melts all the way."  

"Okay, Doll. I want my backpack back though. I can't lose another cooler to you." Monroe leans over to give me a hug. I gladly accept it and return with one, too. "Ha ha ha, you are absolutely hilarious. I got to put that in my book of best jokes, but then you would be in there and I don't think you want that. I will make sure to return it by the end of next week." I start blowing kisses at him and made a heart over my chest. "I love you." "If that is the case, then will you marry me?" Monroe opened up his hands like he was holding a ring case.  I stuck out my tongue. "You are an idiot. See you later." 

I climbed out of the car and watched him drive off with a wave. I hitched up the backpack straps and started my trek back to the house. When I was about to turn the corner to get on the main road, a group of boys no older than 20 starting calling out to me.  I looked up only when I heard their footsteps getting faster and louder.  Someone's hand jerked my shoulder causing me to stumble back a little. When I turned around, I plastered a big smile on my face to show I was 'not bothered.' "How may I help you?" I said trying to sound as innocent as possible, but honestly, dark thoughts were already running through my head. "What you got in that bag right there? Seems awfully big for just getting dropped off here." 

I was already starting to get annoyed. Why do people have to be so damn nosy? "Why do you care? In honesty, why? I don't care about you, why do you care about my business?" I ground out. I want to get home, put the ice cream away, and go back to sleep. "Oooh, feisty. I might have to teach her a lesson." The oldest looking one said. "Cut the crap. I want to leave. I propose a math problem. If you can solve it, you get what you want. If not, I leave and you shut up." I smirked. These kids look dumber than rocks. I hope they get so confused, they leave. 

"What do you say, boys? Let the girl win or shall we?" The idiot... I mean, kid looked back. "Oh come on. It is not that hard of a decision. Yes or no?" "No need to get snarky. We will do it." The kiddo was getting angry. I inwardly smiled. "Let us start plain and simple. I am having 19 friends and me coming over. How many people are there at my house?" 

Some tiny kid in the back chimes up, "You would have 19 people. You invited 19 people over." I pulled my windbreaker over my nose and laughed, breathy. I dropped my hand and put on a straight face. "How old are you?" I just had to question. "I am 17, pretty mama." This time I had to laugh out loud. "Okay, any other guesses?" "You would have a whole shit ton of people." This boy who was built like a 30-year old body builder. "Yeah, and that is not including the ones in my closet, the basement, and the shed." 

Everyone looked at me, shocked.  "Calm down! Any more guesses?" "You would have 20. That saying you don't have one of your parents or other guests in the house. We learned to answer problems like these in math since the second grade." I shot my head up and smiled. "Now you can see why I laughed. Now darlings, this is a perfect example of common sense." The 'leader' basically growled at me. In my mind, I was dying laughing, thinking 'didn't know you like to play pet?'