Chapter Seven

"Cass? Cass, can you hear me?" My eyelashes fluttered, and a blurry face appeared above me, moving in and out of focus. I saw a  mass of blond hair and clear, icy blue eyes.

"Keefe?" I croaked, my head heavy. It hurt to move anything even the slightest bit. What had happened to me? Did I have an allergy to the same thing as Sophie? SOPHIE! I sat up quickly and instantly regretted it.

"Owww..." I moaned, putting my head in my hands. I felt a soothing hand on my back and looked up. It was Keefe that I had seen. He must have been told that there was something wrong with me and had gotten out of class. Elwin's voice carried through the room as I heard him bustling around, carrying something that sloshed loudly.

"Ah, Cassia, you're awake," He said, uncapping a small bottle with a sparkling pink liquid inside. "Drink this, your head will feel better." I took it from him and tried to lift it to my mouth, but my hands were shaking too badly. I spilled some on the cot, and Keefe took it from me, a serious expression on his face for once. 

"What... what happened to me?" I asked after Keefe successfully poured the liquid into my mouth. My voice was shaking as badly as my hands. Elwin twisted his hands anxiously.

"To be honest, I'm not sure," He said. "I've never seen an elvin migraine that bad before." Never seen an elvin migraine that bad before? Why would this happen to me, the most ordinary person ever? I stumped Elwin. How was that even possible?

"How's Sophie?" I asked hoarsely. Keefe glanced at the other side of the room, where Sophie was probably lying. I turned around slowly and saw that I was right. She was still unconscious on a cot. Bullhorn the banshee was under Elwin's desk. At least he wasn't screeching anymore. I winced at the thought.

"She's doing all right," Elwin told me. "Bullhorn was lying beside her earlier, but he moved a few minutes ago. Thank goodness." I remembered hearing that banshees lie down next to people who are about to die. Sophie almost died? How?

"What's an allergy?" That question was one I definitely wanted an answer to. Sophie had looked so sick. Allergies must be horrible things. I couldn't believe that I'd never heard of them.

"They're something that humans deal with," Elwin explained. "Some humans have bad reactions to certain things based on their genetics. But I've never seen an elf have an allergy before. It's completely unheard of. I only know about allergies because I've read about them in old textbooks." That made absolutely no sense. Sophie may have grown up with humans, but she was definitely an elf. Things that only affect humans shouldn't affect her.

"Elwin and Dex think that Sophie was allergic to limbium, by the way. She's never had it before," Keefe said with another glance at Sophie, who was still out cold.

"Woah." My head felt clearer all of a sudden, and I stood up, not wavering at all. Elwin grinned.

"There we go. That kind of medicine always kicks in at different times for different people." I felt amazing, at least compared to before. My hands weren't shaking at all.

"Can I go back to P.E now?" I was completely fine, totally ready to go as long as someone told me when Sophie woke up. Elwin looked at me like I was crazy.

"Absolutely not. I'm sending you and Sophie both home to rest for the rest of the day," he informed me. I rolled my eyes.

"Ah-ah-ah," Elwin said, waggling his finger. "No complaining. I have no idea what you just went through, and even if you feel fine, you might not be fine. Your parents can monitor you at your house. P.E is too dangerous for you right now." I huffed.

"Fine." I was sure that I would be perfectly okay. Keefe was laughing. I glared at him. He didn't stop.

"You're the lucky one, getting to miss school for an legitimate reason," Keefe told me, leaning against the wall. I knew that he would love to be in my place. I got to miss school. Amazing, right?