Book Two: Chapter Eleven

Sophie and I both took a deep breath before pushing the shining gates of Everglen open and beginning the long walk to the Vacker's mansion. Edaline was with us, too. She'd been spending a lot of her time with the Vackers lately. Sophie seemed to be feeling fine from earlier, though now both of us weren't exactly feeling our best. As we approached the mansion, Alvar appeared from his place on the front steps. None of us flinched. Edaline and I were used to Alvar and Della Vanishing by now, and Sophie was a little out of it anyway, which was understandable.

"Sophie Foster returns. And hey, Cass. Welcome to the most miserable place on earth," Alvar announced.

"Al," I breathed, rushing up the steps to hug him. "How are you doing?" He patted me on the back sympathetically.

"Oh, you know. It's one day at a time," he said, letting go of me with a weak smile. Sophie was looking around, probably for the source of the raspy song coming from the house. I recognized it as one of Della's dwarven songs. She'd sung them for us before, and they were always a favorite of Alden's.

"What's that?" Sophie asked predictably.

"My mom. Today she's singing."

"Singing?" Alvar sighed.

"My mom studied music with the dwarves. She thinks it'll bring my dad back. Just like making his favorite foods should've done yesterday and showing him every picture we've ever taken the day before."

"It's hard to let go," Edaline whispered. "I'd better go check on her. Will you two be okay?" Sophie and I nodded.

"So you came to see Fitz and Biana?' Alvar asked, sitting back down on the steps. Sophie and I sat next to him.

"And you," I said at the same time Sophie said, "Yeah-if they'll see me." Alvar put his arm around me gently and shrugged at Sophie.

"Everyone handles this stuff differently. My mom's trying to 'fix' it. Biana's hiding and not talking to anyone-except Cass. And Fitz is trying to figure out who's to blame."

"Me," Sophie whispered, looking to be on the verge of tears when Alvar nodded. I didn't care if Fitz was going through something unimaginably hard. If he tried to make Sophie feel as bad as him, I would defend her. Not take any sides-just try to keep the peace between two of my best friends. I just hoped that Biana would see it that way.

"And Prentice. And the Council. He's basically mad at the world," Alvar told Sophie.

"Should I not go in, then?" Sophie asked, looking small and scared.

"No. They're your friends, and it might help. And I can take care of Fitz, it's okay," I promised. Sophie looked slightly better, but really not much. I understood why she was feeling that way. I had felt the same before I'd found my confidence in dealing with the grieving younger Vackers. Now I knew what was most effective.

"Cass is right. You're here anyway, you should see them. Something has to help." Sophie got up and looked at me meaningfully. Alvar squeezed my shoulder one last time and helped me to my feet. I opened the door for Sophie, Alvar staying outside and staring up into the sky before Vanishing again.

We heard Fitz and Biana eating in Everglen's enormous kitchen inside. Sophie looked like she was about to face an enemy army. She had probably wanted to talk to them separately, but I thought it was better if we were all together. I entered the room first to know what Fitz and Biana's reactions to seeing me were.

"Hey, Bia. Hi, Fitz. How are you holding up?" I asked them, watching carefully. Both of their solemn faces softened, and Biana motioned for me to sit in between them. Thank goodness. They didn't hate me. They wanted me here.