Book Two: Chapter Four

Keefe shook me awake the next morning with no particular gentleness. I smacked him on the top of his head in my early-morning rage.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" I practically roared. Keefe yelped and ran to my mirror to fix his ridiculous hair.

"The Hekses are trying to take Silveny! Isn't that something worth being woken up for?!" He huffed, wounded. Instantly, I was one hundred percent awake.

"Get out. I'll be ready in a minute," I told Keefe, pushing him out. He muttered indignantly about underappreciation and the thanks he got. Once he was out, I grabbed the first gown I saw in my closet-a pink tulle dress with short off-the-shoulder sleeves-and quickly changed into it, out of my nightgown. Brushing my teeth, I fed Stormy, put her on my shoulder, found a gray cloak to wear, and undid the hairstyle I'd forgotten to take out last night, letting the soft blond curls unfurl in waves down my back. Was one supposed to wear makeup and jewelry when negotiating for alicorn housing? It couldn't hurt. A touch of eyeliner, dangling rose earrings, a matching attachment to my registry pendant (The pendant was so boring, I'd accumulated dozens of fun clip-on attachments for it), and five minutes later I shoved open the door, accidentally whacking Keefe in the head with it.

"OW! Why do you have it in for me today?" Keefe demanded. I couldn't help giggling as I apologized to him.

We took the Vortinator to the pantry, where I snatched a pastry and ate it as fast as possible. Alden, Fitz, and Biana were waiting at the front door. Mom and father were nowhere to be found. The Vackers looked perfect, as always, Biana wearing a short teal dress that matched her eyes, and Fitz in an immaculate midnight-blue jerkin.

"You look great!" Biana exclaimed. I smiled.

"Do you really need your kitsune with you?" Fitz pointed to Stormy, who looked indignant.

"Yes, we're inseparable, and thanks, Biana. Can you tell I've only been awake for five minutes?" I asked her. As she shook her head, Alden explained the situation.

"I meant to take you all to see the alicorn anyway, but Grady hailed me to let me know that Vika, Timkin, and Stina Heks snuck into the alicorn pasture to try to kidnap Silveny. The Ruewens are arguing with them about it now. We must accompany them." The five of us joined hands, Alden with Fitz, Fitz with Biana, Biana with me, and Keefe grabbing onto my shoulder to avoid holding hands with anyone. Alden held up his Pathfinder, set for Havenfield, and we leaped away.

We arrived right behind everyone, which was immensely satisfying.

"Last I checked, you hadn't manifested any abilities at all," Sophie was snapping at Stina. "And I don't have to be an Empath. I can feel her emotions with my mind." Timkin snorted.

"That's impossible."

"If it were coming from anyone else, I'd agree with you," Alden announced. Perfect timing, I thought. "But you're forgetting how remarkable Sophie is." The Ruewens turned to us, grateful for backup. Keefe was grinning at Sophie.

"Yeah, Foster's always doing crazy things no one can understand. It's how she keeps her sense of mystery." I smiled.

"It's true, Sophie can sense Silveny's emotions. I've seen it before," I informed the Heks', who were staring at Alden.

"Lord Alden. An honor, as always," Timkin said obnoxiously with an exaggerated bow. I was pretty sure Sophie, Keefe, Fitz, Biana, and I all rolled our eyes at him.

"No need for ceremony, Timkin. I'm sorry to be late, I'd hoped that we would get here before the Hekses. But Fitz, Biana, and Keefe insisted on seeing the alicorn, and someone needed time to fix his hair and forgot to wake up his sister." I elbowed Keefe, who patted the back of his styled head. Stormy was staring at the Heks family with what looked like an attempt at menace. It just looked adorable.