Book Two: Chapter Three

I decided to leap back to Havenfield first to give Silveny her collar, so that my parents didn't see it. Also so that I could show off Stormy, who was standing stock-still, on high alert. That was probably because I had leaped the two of us directly in front of Verdi's pen. Reassuring my poor little scared baby, I made my way over to Silveny's enclosure, deciding to put her collar on before I showed the Ruewens. I placed my bags on the ground and took Stormy out of her glass cage. She instinctively perched herself on my shoulder, which melted my already exploded heart.

I stepped inside the enclosure, collar at the ready. Silveny was staring at Stormy intently. As I got closer to Silveny, Stormy reached out a fluffy white paw and booped the alicorn on the nose. I prepared for disaster, but Silveny didn't seem to mind. When I snapped the collar securely around the alicorn's neck and activated the tracker, Stormy leaped off of my shoulder and onto Silveny's head. My jaw dropped, but again, the sparkling alicorn seemed okay with it. I fumbled for my sketchbook and immediately started drawing the pair as they both eyed me suspiciously.

"What are you doing?" Sophie's voice behind me made me drop my sketchbook and pencil-pens weren't good for sketching, as mine wasn't erasable. Stormy jumped off of Silveny's head and bounded over to Sophie. I stood and brushed the dirt off of my clothes.

"Drawing. This is Stormy, my new kitsune! ISN'T SHE THE MOST ADORABLE THING YOU'VE EVER SEEN??" I picked Stormy up gently and shoved her in Sophie's face. She giggled and stepped back.

"She's... wow, she's super cute!" Sophie exclaimed. "You got her in Atlantis?" I nodded, bringing Stormy close to my chest, her tiny heartbeat pulsing through me.

"Yeah, after I chose Silveny's collar. I've always wanted a pet," I said, stroking her soft fur. She purred, extending her tails. I squeaked with sheer joy, beaming at the tiny kitsune. She was everything I'd ever wanted, and I still couldn't fully compute the fact that she was mine now. Sophie laughed at my ridiculous happiness.

"Does Keefe know about her?" Sophie asked. I froze.

"... nooo..." I admitted. "I'll tell him when I go home. Want to see Silveny's collar?" Sophie stepped into the enclosure and examined the intricate choker-style, diamond-inlaid collar. She fingered the crystal letters that spelled out Silveny's name.

"Pretty. I like it. I probably would have chosen the same thing, but the truth is, I really didn't want to go because I'm terrified of the drop," she confessed. I giggled.

"Keefe and I love it. It's the best thing ever." Sophie blushed at Keefe's name. I smirked at her, crossing my arms.

"I know you think you like Fitz, but you actually like my brother," I told her. The color drained out of her face, and her eyes widened. I laughed.

"You should really tell him you like him, or you'll miss your chance," I informed the palest version of Sophie I'd ever seen.

"Well-uh-do YOU have a crush?" She asked slightly desperately.

"Yeah. There's no way I'm telling you, though. I'm a lot more subtle than you are"

"Well, why don't you tell him you like him?" I flushed.

"It's more complicated than-okay, if I tell, will you?" I offered. Sophie looked very uncomfortable.

"... fffffine," she muttered.

"It's a deal. If I tell my crush I like them by the end of midterms, let's say, you have to tell yours." We shook on it.

"Oh! I totally forgot to tell you, Silveny's new enclosure is ready," Sophie said.

"Okay. We should tell Grady and Edaline that we can start moving her." We walked in uncomfortable silence over to the Cliffside Pasture, which the gnomes had done a great job enclosing. Stormy was back on my shoulder.