~the rooftop talk~

It took Taehyun a while to get to the roof, having never been there before. He had lost count on the number of students he had to ask, deciding to stop around ten before he finally made it to the stairwell leading up to his destination. He stared up at the narrow hall, the large iron door at the top standing like an impassable barrier. "Much like my emotions," he murmured to himself, shaking his head. He was tired of wondering who he liked more, the artist or Beomgyu and he continued to question how it was possible to like two people at once when he didn't even know one of them.

However, now he had to focus on the fact that he had hurt Beomgyu. Through his rambling and jealousy, he had lashed out and hurt his delicate soul, bringing out a side of the boy that he hoped he would never have to see again. Seeing Beomgyu's eyes swirl with rage then crack like glass under pressure made Taehyun realize how much he appreciated and adored when the artist's eyes swam with joy, humor, and mischief. Those glances and gazes always drew out a smile from the younger, no matter the circumstance, and all he wanted was to get those soft brown eyes back. He yearned for the small whispers and gentle touches whenever they sat beside each other, the ones where he would flush and draw back from the older, his heart beating wildly out of his chest. He missed that, having only received it a few times and the boy knew that if he left the older and himself in this current, ransacked state, nothing but glass shards would remain.

Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself and began to walk up the long condemning stairwell. "It's my fault," he recited quietly, "I'm sorry, please forgive me. You're a cool dude and I didn't mean to snap..." You're a cool dude? Really, Taehyun, is that the best you can do? Of all things you could say, you chose you're a cool dude?  Shrugging he finally made it to the top, hesitating slightly before resting his hand on the handle, ready to shove the door open. "You can do this, Tae. It's only Beomgyu hyung," and with that, he pressed the latch, pushed it open, and stepped into the light of the bright day, momentarily blinded by the sudden sunlight.

When his eyes finally adjusted he took a second to glance around his newfound surroundings. The roof was... well, the roof. Behind him, where the door was, stood a higher ledge, accessible by a ladder that led to a slight overhang. This allowed whoever was up there a new view of the surrounding city, protected with stomach high walls to make sure said person wouldn't fall. In front of him was a simple flat floor with more walls surrounding the perimeter, a boring grey color covering all of the area, slightly worn and weathered with time. At first, Taehyun didn't see his target and he thought Yeonjun might've been mistaken until he heard light sniffs coming from behind him.

Twisting around, his gaze rested on the ledge above. Sighing quietly, Taehyun glided to the ladder and began to climb, ignoring the cold metal under his palms and made it to the top in seconds. He turned and paused, allowing his mind to take in the scene in front of him. Sitting there, his back and shoulder pressed into the corner of the wall, was Beomgyu, his head in between his knees and hands wrapped tightly around them. As Taehyun grew closer, he watched as the older's shoulders shook from his silent sobs and at that moment, the boy's heart broke. He did this. He caused the older to cry. This was his fault.

Taking another deep breath, having found the art quite useful at this point, he approached Beomgyu, moving to the wall beside the older boy before sliding down it to rest beside him. The two sat in silence for a second, each too deep into their own contemplation and mind to begin speaking right away.

"Hyung," he whispered finally, twisting his head to watch the black mess of hair shake every once in a while in order to repress his cries. "Hyung, I'm sorry..."

His words were met with silence, and now he felt as if he was encroaching on Beomgyu's much-needed silence. And yet, he had to make sure the older knew he felt terrible, a selfish act maybe, but needed nonetheless. "I really don't know what got into me," the younger began again, his eyes never leaving the artist. "I was so focused on the boy I don't even know, that I didn't recognize the boy I did know was suffering right in front of me. And I feel terrible about it. I'm so sorry hyung-"