Chapter 9

Mr Gold was in his shop covering a piece of lanolin in the back room of his pawnshop.

Emma entered through the front door, "Gold! In here?" Emma called out.

"Well, it is my shop," Gold said in the back room.

Emma walked into the back room and instantly spelt the lanolin, "Whoa! What is that?" Emma asked as she covered her nostrils with the back of her hand.

"Oh, this is lanolin, it's used for waterproofing," Mr Gold said.

"It smells like livestock," Emma said.

"Well, it is the reason why sheep's wool repels water," Mr Gold said.

"It stinks. Um, if there was a reason you called the Sheriff's Department... If you want to talk about that quickly..." Emma said.

"Yes," Mr Gold said.

"Or outside..." Emma said and she walked into the shop.

Mr Gold followed her and then he stepped behind the counter, "I just wanted to, uh, express my condolences, really. The Sheriff was a good man," Mr Gold noticed that Emma was still wearing the Deputy's badge, "You're still wearing the Deputy's badge," Emma glanced at the badge then him, "Well, he's been gone two weeks, now, and I believe that after two weeks of acting as Sheriff, the job becomes yours. You'll have to wear the real badge," Mr Gold informed her.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm just not in a hurry. So, um, thank you for the kind words," Emma said and turned to leave.

"I have his things," Mr Gold said as he placed a box on the counter.

"What?" Emma said as she turned back to him.

"The Sheriff. He rented an apartment that I own. Another reason for my call, really. I wanted to offer you a keepsake," Mr Gold said.

"I don't need anything," Emma said.

"As you wish. Well, I'll just give them to Mayor Mills, seems like she was the closest thing he had to family," Mr Gold said.

"I'm not sure about that," Emma said as she walked to the counter.

"No love lost there, I see," Mr Gold looked slightly amused, "Look, I feel that all of this stuff is headed for the trash bin, you really should take something. Look," He held on Graham's jacket, "His jacket," He said.

"No," Emma said.

"Well, look," Mr Gold held up walkie talkies, "Your boy might like these, don't you think? You could play together," He offered them to her.

"I don't..." Emma said.

"No, please... They..." Emma took them, "They grow up so fast," Mr Gold said.

"Thanks," Emma said.

"You enjoy these with your boy. Your time together is precious, you know?" Emma looked at him, "That's the thing about children before you know it, you lose them," Mr Gold said.

 Your time together is precious, you know?" Emma looked at him, "That's the thing about children before you know it, you lose them," Mr Gold said