Chapter 13

Flashback

In a small castle in the forest, a group was strategising around a large map on a table, Maurice, Belle, Gaston and several knights. 

A knight entered the war room, "Sir, there's news from the battlefield. Avonlea has fallen," The knight told them.

"My gods," Maurice said.

"If only he had come," Gaston said.

"Well, he didn't, did he? Ogres are not men," Maurice said.

"We have to do something, we have to stop them," Gaston said.

"They are unstoppable," Maurice said.

"He could be on his way right now, Papa," Belle said as she walked over to her father.

"It's too late, my girl. It's just too late," Maurice said.

There was a loud banging at the door and they all looked towards the noise, "It's him. It has to be him," Belle said as she and her father walked forward towards the door.

"How could he get past the walls? Open it," Maurice said.

Two knights removed the board that was blocking the door and they opened the doors. They all looked out and saw that no one was there.

"Well, that was a bit of a letdown," Rumpelstiltskin said as he appeared behind them, sitting in Maurice's chair, "You sent me a message. Something about, um, 'Help! Help! We're dying! Can you save us?' Now, the answer is," He stood up and walked away from the chair, "Yes, I can protect your little town. For a price," Rumpelstiltskin said.

"We sent you a promise of gold," Maurice said.

"Ah... No. You see, um... I, uh, make gold. What I want is something a bit more special. My price... Is her," Rumpelstiltskin said as he pointed to Belle.

"No," Maurice said.

"The young lady is engaged to me," Gaston said.

"I wasn't asking if she was engaged. I'm not looking for 'love', I'm looking for a caretaker for my rather large estate. It's her or no deal," Rumpelstiltskin said.

"Get out. Leave!" Maurice ordered.

"As you wish," Rumpelstiltskin said and began to walk away.

"No, wait," Rumpelstiltskin stopped and Belle approached him, "I will go with him," Belle said.

"I forbid it!" Gaston said.

"No..." Maurice said.

"No one decides my fate but me," Belle looked at Rumpelstiltskin, "I shall go," Belle said.

"It's forever, dearie," Rumpelstiltskin said.