Chapter 16

Emma, Allison and Kathleen were having breakfast in the diner together.

"Seriously? Someone spray-painted tramp on her car?" Kathleen asked.

"What's a tramp?" Allison asked.

"A bad word sweetie, don't say it again," Kathleen said.

"Yeah... David tried to wash it off..." Emma said.

"Feeling guilty for not saying the truth to Kathryn, was he? Men, I hate them," Kathleen said and finished her bacon sandwich.

"Speaking of men, what happened with... Him?" Emma asked.

"He only went and posted it through the letterbox," Kathleen said.

"Just think you worked for it," Emma said jokingly and Kathleen gasped and threw a sugar sachet at her, "I'm joking."

"I know. I'm opening a trust fund for Allison... I have a feeling he won't back down," Kathleen said.

Mary Margaret walked into the diner, "Excuse me, can I have everyone's attention, please," Everyone went silent and Kathleen and Allison turned to her, "I'm sorry to interrupt your morning, but I just wanted to remind everyone that a very special occasion is upon us, Miner's Day," Mary Margaret said.

"Not again..." Kathleen said quietly with a sigh.

"As always, the nuns of Storybrooke are hoping that everyone will get involved and will help sell their exquisite candles. All we need are a few energetic volunteers. So, who wants to join me?" Mary Margaret asked.

Everyone ignored her and went back to what they were doing. Kathleen looked at Emma and raised her brows and sipped her coffee.

"Leroy, you want to volunteer?" Mary Margaret asked.

"I want to leave, sister. You're blocking the door," Leroy said.

"Of course," Kathleen looked at her as Mary Margaret stepped side as Leroy went to leave, "Uh, you know," He stopped walking, "If you wanted to help, it could really be a-" Mary Margaret began to say.

"Oh, yeah. Right. Quite a team we'd make, town harlot, the town drunk. The only person in this town that people like less than me, if you. If you're coming to me, you're screwed," Leroy said and walked out of the door.

Mary Margaret walked out and Emma, Kathleen and Allison followed her, "Hey, mind if we join you? So, what the hell is Miner's Day and why are you beating yourself up over it?" Emma asked.

"It's an annual holiday celebrating an old tradition. The nuns used to make candles and trade them with the miners for coal," Mary Margaret said.

"Coal? In Maine? If they were mining for lobster, I'd understand," Emma said.

"Look, I don't know. Now, they use it as a fundraiser. It's an amazing party, everyone loves it," Mary Margaret said.

"It doesn't seem like everyone loves it," Emma said.

"Usually everyone loves it," Kathleen said.

"It's not Miner's Day, it's me," Mary Margaret sighed, "Last week, I had ten volunteers. This week, they all dropped out," Mary Margaret said.

"You think this is about what happened with David?" Kathleen asked.

"Oh, I know it is. A few of them told me as much. I've never... Been a homewrecker before," Mary Margaret said.

"It's going to blow over, you made a mistake with David, it happens. But, you don't have to do charity to try to win people's hearts back," Emma said.