twenty-one.

it were moments like these that made him wish things were really alright. maybe then, he'd be able to fully enjoy them.

his head felt like it was being nailed in by a hammer when he came to. a pounding encased his mind as the blond stirred awake, emitting a low groan in annoyance at the pain he was being forced to experience. two pairs of eyes met his gaze as he slowly attempted to prop himself up on his elbows, failing once realizing that both of his hands were taken hostage by his friends. he plopped back down on the bed with a heavy sigh.

"hey, guys?" he started, hoping they would catch onto his need for them to release him.

"hi, tommy."

"hey, tom."

he suppressed something between a laugh and a scoff.

"i'd like my hands back now, if you don't mind."

wilbur hummed, "no, i don't think you do. do you, tubbo?" a playful shake of the boy's head sent tommy cackling.

"gimme my limbs back, morons," he swiped his hands out of theirs, swatting them away like a pair of flies scattered around his personal bubble.

"did you sleep okay, toms?" tubbo queried.

"yeah, no, it was pretty shit because of the iv's poking into my veins. thanks, though."

"the nurses are contacting the residential center as we speak," wilbur explained, gently patting tommy's knee upon watching him tense up, "you're still staying here a few days, though. you've gotta rest up until you can start moving around again, or you're bound to fall over within a couple steps."

"i don't want to go," he gently gripped at the covers rested atop his legs.

"i know, tommy. i'm sorry, but it'll help you get better, and we'll come visit every day, alright? you're not alone in this."

"we've got your back! we believe in you," tubbo added with a small smile, earning a tinier one back from his best friend.

"at least i'm here for a while, then," he sighed, "you assholes thought you could get rid of me that easily? it's impossible, bitch!"

the three of them shared a laugh as tommy relaxed once more, criss-crossing his legs as he searched around the room. with a puzzled expression, he looked back to his friends.

"where's george been at this whole time?"

"he's waiting outside," wilbur responded, "being a shy little hermit."

"i have no idea what that means, but please never describe gogy using those words again. it was so offensive," tommy jokingly deadpanned before continuing, "tell the big man to get in here! unless if he's busy talking to dream and sapnap. god, i hate sapnap, his name is so weird."

wilbur chuckled whilst tubbo sprang up from his seat, opening the door and peeking his head out to beckon george inside. a few seconds of murmuring between the two and george was entering the room, prompting a rather excited tommy.

"george! my friend, my friend!" he ushered him to his bed, obviously not capable of making his way to the man himself.

"hey, thomathy. you alright now?"

"yeahh, sorry for scaring you, man. i'll be fine soon, even if i don't want to be. i'm still here for a bit, though!"

"that's good," he slowly spoke, "i'll visit sometimes, if you want."

"no, no! you're georgenotfound, your schedule is probably already filled to the brim with manhunt videos and saying hello to random stans through twitch donations," tommy sarcastically responded, causing him to laugh at his own joke. he was so funny sometimes.

"okay, whatever," george rolled his eyes.

a sea of laughter adorned the room as the four friends continued to make stupid jokes, egging each other on about whatever they could form a bit around, until tommy concluded that he would maybe be okay, so long as he had support from the people he needed it from the most. it felt nicer than the previous hours of emotions and painful moments. he hoped that he could make the most of the remaining days with his friends before he had to leave them. recovery would definitely be a tricky path, especially when he subconsciously still believed he didn't need it.