In Which We Learn About The Danvers

Many many years ago.

//Eliza and Jeremiah sit with their three year old on the couch watching Wow Wow Wubbzy. It's about 5pm//

Jeremiah hears a knock ok the door and goes to see what it is. It's his sister in law, Eliza's younger sister. He lets her in and she takes her little girl and sits on the couch.

"I need help." She says out of breath.

"Of course. What is it?" Eliza asks.

"I.. I'm having financial troubles and.. and Kara's father bailed on me." The young blonde looks down at her daughter playing with Eliza's. Eliza's sister sighs and looks at her.

"What do you need?" Jeremiah asks.

"Could you... take her in?" She asks.

"Of course... how long? Would you visit?" Eliza asks.

"I.. don't think I should.. or could... Eliza I got a hold of the bad genes." Her sister looks down at her frail hands.

"What are you saying?" Eliza gets concerned knowing her mother had Leukemia.

"I was diagnosed with Leukemia last week." Her sister's voice breaks. Eliza gasps.

"How long.. y- Chemo?" Jeremiah stammers, knowing this is hard for Eliza.

"I can't afford it. Even if I could it would only give me an extra few months and with that, totally, I would only have a little over a year." Eliza's sister's voice breaks and she stammers "I... I need you to take her in I don't want anything to happen to her." Eliza nods and her eyes water. She hugs her sister tightly and watches as her sister leaves out into the evening darkness. Eliza falls to the floor when she leaves. She had stayed strong in front of her sister.

Jeremiah got to her side and comforted her. She cried into his chest and held onto him tightly, crying her eyes out.

And they never heard from her sister since.

Twelve years later - Two years ago

//The Danvers were sitting on the couch watching The Never-ending Story. Eliza was sitting with Kara and Alex's father, Jeremiah. And Kara and Alex were sitting on the floor with bags of popcorn.//

Kara peeps over at Alex's bag and Alex stares at the TV, sucked into the movie. Kara slowly moves her hand to her bag. Alex notices, slapping Kara's hand. Not too hard, but hard enough for Kara to pull it away quickly.

"Girls stop eating each others popcorn." Eliza says softly chuckling. Jeremiah looks over at Eliza and smiles before grabbing some popcorn from Eliza's bag. Eliza gasps and looks at the man with her eyes raised. She grabs popcorn from her bag and throws it at his face. His jaw drops as he reaches into his own bag and throws some at Eliza. Kara and Alex look up and giggle.

"You want some of this?" Jeremiah says, throwing popcorn at the two girls. The girls stand up and toss a few popcorns at their parents. The family has a popcorn war on the field of their living room. At some point, Kara trips. "SOLDIER DOWN!" Jeremiah says and gets to her side, helping her up. He knew there were no teams in this fight but he just had to help a soldier in need. It was his duty.

"Hey woah. No teams!" Alex shouted. Eliza giggled and tossed popcorn at Alex. They all smiled and settled down. Eliza looked around.

"Someone is cleaning this and it's not me." Eliza said chuckling. Jeremiah looked around as well.

"Nose goes!" Kara shouted and quickly met her finger with her nose. This call was followed and her actions mirrored. Unluckily for Jeremiah, he was the slowest. He sighed and groaned then smiles and started cleaning up.

"My heart!" Alex gasped and clutched her chest at the movie scene. This part always made Alex cry.

"Noo! Artaaax!" Kara calls out as the depressing scene of the beloved horse sinks into the swamp. Kara stands up and walks to Alex. They cry and hug. Eliza smiles at the angels she has created. Out of nowhere the doorbell rings. Jeremiah goes to the door and answers, the rest of the family following behind. Jeremiah opens it.

"Sorry, sir." An officer says.

"Yeah it's like the middle of the night." Jeremiah complains.

"You are being requested to fall in to duty Agent Danvers." The other officer says.

The two young girls, about 15 and 16, peep around their father. Two tall men in uniforms stand in front of them with sidearms and vests. "How soon?" Agent Danvers asks.

"Soon.. as soon as possible. We are to be back to the organization by 0300. You are expected to be there with us. We have a few agents to get to before then. You have about an hour to get your stuff together. We will be back in an hour." One of the officers responds.

Jeremiah nods and closes the door. Eliza sighs and walks up to him. "Honey, I know it's late and last minute but-"

"Duty calls." Eliza cuts him off, Jeremiah nods. The girls look up at their parents with frowns on their faces.

"I'll be back, girls. No need to worry." He assures them. They nod understanding and go to their rooms. Jeremiah kisses their foreheads for the last time then leaves for duty.

One month later

"We haven't heard from dad?" Alex asks.

"I've got a letter here. It just came in." Eliza says and reads it out. Jeremiah went on about how he is doing okay and he loves them so much. Alex sighs and goes to her room.

One year later

The Danvers were watching a movie when they heard a loud knock on the door. Eliza stands up and walks over. She opens the door to see an officer. An older man maybe in his late 40s. "Can I help you?.. officer?"

"Is this the home of Jeremiah Danvers?" The officer asks.

"Y.. yes?" Eliza looks around to see if Jeremiah was there. No sight of him.

"Ma'am.." The officer sighs and takes off his cap. Eliza starts to get worried. "He was MIA. Missing In Ac-"

"I know what it means." Eliza's voice breaks. She couldn't stand to hear the rest of 'Action'. She heard enough.

"We never established his situation.. we aren't sure if he is alive or.." Eliza nods trying not to let the tears leak out of her eyes. "This is incredibly classified information. Please do not share any of it with anyone." Eliza nods agreeing and closes the door, trying to keep her balance. Kara and Alex see and go up to her. They help her to the couch and she fills them in on the information. Kara goes to her room and fall on her bed, tears immediately falling onto the sheets. Alex walks in and hugs her tightly.

"It's going to be okay, Kar.." Alex comforts her. Kara hugs back tightly.

Sorry this chapter is so short!