Eight

eight

Lying face down with her arms tucked under her pillow, Deanna dozed, a serene look on her face. The door to her right clicked open and her hazel eyes slowly slid open, her hand wrapping around something she had hidden.

It swung wide, showing Harry and Sam walking in with food, chuckling amongst themselves.

"'Ello, love," Harry grinned down at her grumpy face, "Never been a morning person, have yah?"

The blonde scrunched up her nose, trying to look intimidating, but the wizard only laughed. She turned her bleary gaze to her brother, "What time is it?"

Straight away, Sam replied, "It's about five, forty five."

"What is wrong with you people?!" Deanna groaned into her pillow, before sitting up.

The younger Winchester smirked in amusement and Harry chuckled at the sight of her tousled, bed hair.

The blonde sighed, "Where does the day go?"

Deanna watched her brother move to the motel's table while Harry dropped onto the couch, "Did you get any sleep last night?"

Sam nodded, "Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours."

The Master of Death coughed into his hand, "Liar," then took a sip of his coffee.

The younger Winchester glared at his betrayal. He looked back at his sister who was watching the two with an unimpressed expression, "I was up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman informercial.

The younger Winchester shrugged, "Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV."

Harry leant forward on the couch, cradling his coffee and gestured towards him, "Mate, when was the last time you actually got a good night's sleep?"

Sam shrugged again, "I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is." Deanna huffed, haughtily.

"Look, I appreciate your concern-"

The blonde cut him off with a quick shake of her head, "Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp."

Harry choked on his spluttering in both protest and amusement. A few seconds later and finally breathing, the man met Sam's amber eyed gaze, "Still having nightmares about Jess, mate?"

"Yeah," The younger Winchester scratched the back of his head and crossed the room, sitting on the adjacent bed, handing a coffee to his sister, "But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you."

"You can't let it, Sam," the wizard's eyes held way too much experience on the whole deal, "It will swallow you whole."

Deanna's hazel eyes softened, glancing between her husband and her brother as she stood to walk across the room, "You can't bring it home like that."

Sam's shoulders fell, "So what? All this it...never keeps you up at night?"

She shook her head, even as her brother frowned with disbelief, "Never? You're never afraid?"