~ 14 ~

"I've been looking for love in the distance
Tell the sidewalks of cities I visit
Up the coast looking for something different
All along you were there but I missed it
I don't know what it is
But I feel good about this"
I Feel Good About This - The Mowgli's

oOoOo

The first few days Kaden and I are together is sheer bliss. We still haven't told any of our friends that we are together. I can tell that they suspect something, though. Kaden and I have been more flirty and touchy this week.

Blair is the first one to say something. "So are you and Kaden together or something?"

"Yeah, we made it official on Sunday," I say as I blush.

"Finally!" Grace squeals.

"Shut up," I hiss. We're at The Brew right now. Her squeal is attracting unwelcome attention.

"Why didn't you say anything? It's been like two days." Blair asks.

"Why haven't you said anything about you and Marc? It's been like two weeks," I retort.

Her face pales. "W-what? Why do you think there's something going on?"

"Oh, please. I'm not blind. And I am certainly not deaf," I remark with a grimace.

Grace starts snickering.

"Okay, fine. You caught us," Blair reluctantly admits. She picks at her muffin.

"Kaden and I wanted to keep quiet for a few days," I explain. "Plus, you know how my parents are. If they catch wind of this, my father will probably fly here to put an end to it."

"Why would he do that?" Grace asks curiously.

"Her parents own a massive corporation in Amaria. They're trying to arrange a business marriage for Kate," Blair says evasively.

"During break, they reamed into me about Kaden," I offer as I take a sip of my coffee.

Grace gives a sympathetic smile.

"That must suck. Let me know if you need any help," she says.

"Thank you, I genuinely appreciate it."

I feel bad for not telling her the truth. I know Grace won't spill the beans to anyone, but it's too risky. Hopefully, our friendship won't be ruined when the truth comes out.

oOoOo

On Wednesday, Kaden and I make plans to go ice skating at the Frog Pond after classes.

Blair and Marc are going to be hanging out inconspicuously in the Commons to keep an eye on me.

At five o'clock, Kaden and I meet outside the Skate Rental building. I'm sitting on a park bench, tying the skates we bought last week with Maeve, when he walks up.

"Hey," he greets.

I get up to give him a hug.

"You look beautiful today," he compliments.

I'm wearing one of my stylish beige coats, a matching beanie, and leggings.

"You don't look so bad yourself," I reply. He has gray sweatpants and a sweatshirt on.

Kaden disappears to rent a pair of skates as I finish lacing mine. He reappears a few minutes later with hockey skates on.

I stand up to join him and instantly wobble. We're not even on the ice and I'm already falling, great.