~ 42 ~

"Well, call me crazy
And people saying that we move too fast
But I've been waiting and for a reason
Ain't no turning back"
I Believe - Jonas Brothers

oOoOo

On the last Friday of break, we pack up and get ready to head back to Boston. We exchange goodbyes with my parents. They made me promise to bring Kaden back at the end of the summer. It might not happen, but at least they approve of him now.

After lunch, Blair, Marc, Kaden, and I wait for Maeve in the car. She's coming for a few days to hang out and meet Kaden's sister.

The driver pulls up to the airstrip. I step out of the car and onto the plane.

I put my bag in one of the cubbies and sit down on one of the couches. Kaden joins me and wraps his arm around my waist. Soon, we're taking off. I look out the window and watch Amaria disappear. As we get higher in the sky, the cars begin to look like ants. The trees and buildings look smaller and smaller until we get above the clouds. Everything looks so insignificant from above. It's really humbling.

"What's the plan when we get back?" Marc asks, sapping me out of my musings. "There are still a few days of break left."

"I made us reservations or a fancy dinner. I thought we could celebrate and maybe go clubbing afterward."

"I'm down," Kaden says.

"Am I invited?" Maeve asks.

I shrug. "Why not?"

She squeals.

"Don't make me regret this already," I groan.

"Want me to text Grace and Chase?" Blair inquires.

I nod. She pulls her phone out to fire off a text message.

Suddenly feeling drowsy, I lean my head on Kaden's shoulder. The sounds of the plane's engine and their conversation lull me to sleep.

oOoOo

Hours later, Kaden shakes me awake.

"Are we there?" I ask sleepily.

"No, the plane's crashing."

I sit up in alarm and uncover the window. It's dark outside, and I can't see anything other than the blinking light on the wing.

Kaden starts laughing. I turn around and see him doubled over.

It was a joke.

"That's not funny!" I punch him. He doesn't even flinch. I guess I really need to work on my punching skills.

"Yes, it was." Maeve emerges from the other cabin. I instantly notice her phone.

"Please tell me you didn't record that," I groan.

I hear Blair's laughter. I look around the cabin and see her hiding behind one of the couches. I shoot her the dirtiest look I can muster when she stands up.

"Your face was priceless. How could I not record it?" She walks over to show me the video. "You'll be viral on TikTok."

"Just what I wanted," I mutter. "So, you never told me. Are we almost there?" I ask Kaden.