Chapter 25

•Ara•

I was done playing nice.

Even though I had gained Winston's essence of life that allowed me to heal fast, it was obvious I did not gain all the power that Peter Pan had over the Lost Boys. I could not make them forget, nor could I prevent them from remembering what they'd forgotten. Although Peter Pan controlled his boys with fear, there had always been a sense of blind loyalty to them. Apparently, I did not have that same appeal. The boys questioned me. They disobeyed me. They stopped believing me.

That is, until they realized Winston had disappeared and would not be returning. They stopped questioning every order that fell from my lips when I added fresh bones to my throne. Alex had become my newest thorn in my side. I suspected soon enough he would try to rally the boys against me. It would be a mistake on their part. Fortunately, Damon and Emris seemed to be taking to my leadership. Once in awhile they would actually support me in my decisions.

Today was to be a monumental day. I was going to make more allies. Allies that I would eventually sab in the back. I knew the pirates were long-time enemy with Peter Pan. They should be in my debt, as I was the one who rid us of his rule. Jack had waited on the beach all day yesterday to give the pirates a message.

We were to meet at dawn.

It was past dawn. They were late, and I suspected that was on purpose. Jack, Damon, Emris and I watched as four pirates rowed in from their ship. I recognized three of them from the time Peter Pan brought us to see them. If I remembered correctly Peter Pan had called their captain Chay, before he was told that it was actually Captain Scar now. That wasn't hard to remember, as the boy's face had been mutilated by a nasty scar. I'll admit, he did look intimidating. The other two I recognized were named Cecco and Elijah. The third- although young- was the largest of them all, muscles ripping beneath his shirt.

"Captain Scar," I spread my arms as they pulled up onto the sand, "I'm pleased you agreed to meet."

"Where exactly is Peter Pan?" Elijah stepped forward, his eyes drifting over to Jacks, who was grinning from ear to ear.

"Peter Pan is dead." All eyes snapped to me. It was marvelous to be in the center of attention. This was the first time the Lost Boys were hearing of the truth of Peter Pan's disappearance. Jack looked like he was about to fall over, Damon's face when stone cold and Emris... he looked like he'd known all along.

"That's impossible. He cannot die. I know that firsthand." The other Pirate, Cecco, tried to subtly place his hand on his sword. I did not miss the slight movement.

"I thought you would be overjoyed by the news. He's been your long-time enemy has he not?"

"He has but..." Captains Scars eyes drifted to Cecco's nervously, then back to mine, "But it is not possible. Peter Pan cannot die."

"He can now." I shrugged, still waiting for smiles to creep onto their faces. No such thing happened. If anything, their features grew darker and wearier of me. "He's grown weak since you fought him last. I have done you a favour, don't you agree?"

There was a long stretch of silence as the pirates pondered my words. Jack strayed slightly from our group, choosing to sit down on a flat rock. I had no doubt that his mind was racing with the news. This was why I did not bring all the boys, I had to test the waters before I let all hell broke loose.

"Chay, we have to tell her-" The fourth pirate started to say, leaning in close to the captain.

"Quiet Charlie." The captain snapped at the same time Cecco grabbed his arm. I tilted my head to the side, wondering who this her was. To my knowledge, there was no girls on their ship.

"What do you want from us?" Elijah snapped, a fire in his eyes. Of course, they would jump to the conclusion that I wanted something from them. They were correct in that assumption, but it offended me nonetheless.

"What do I want from you?" I plastered a smile on my face, "What are you expecting me to say? Friendship? Gratitude? I don't want anything from you. I just thought you would like to know."

"Well, thank you for letting us know." Captain Scar looked like he was choking on his words as he started to turn back to their row boats. I wanted to scream so that's it? Really? You owe me one! But that would get me no where with the pirates.

"Wait." Elijah said as his comrades started to leave, "Just a few more minutes?" He looked at his captain pleadingly before looking back at Jack who still sat on his rock. Chay nodded once and Elijah hurried over to Jacks side. The rest of us stood awkwardly, waiting. Pretending not to stare.

"I've missed you Little Jack." Elijah pulled the boy into a tight hug and didn't let go. "I thought you'd never remember me again."

"Why didn't you come back for me? After the battle." Jack's eyes were beginning to brim with tears and his skinny arms held tightly around Elijah's waist.

"Would you have listened?" Elijah pulled back so that he could look into Jacks eyes.

"No, probably not." A small smile traced his lips, "Pirate sum."

"Come with us now? Please." Elijah stood, not even glancing at me for permission. How disrespectful.

"Absolutely not." I crossed my arms, giving Jack a warning glare. "Jack will be returning home where he belongs. If you wish, you may join us?"

"I- I-" He stuttered, looking between his pirates, Jack and I.

"It's fine." Jack stood up, lightly pushing Elijah away, "You should go. I should stay. I'll see you again sometime." Elijah looked like he was going to argue, then thought better of it. With one last quick hug, and a small wave to the Lost Boys he did not know, he returned to the rowboat.

"I hope we see each other soon." I hoped my grin didn't look as sour as it felt, "You never know when we'll need to work together again." Cecco looked like he was going to argue that we in fact did not work on this together and that they would most likely not want to ever work with me. I planned to not give them a choice. Captain Scar simply gave me a nod before they pushed back into the waters. Looking like they wanted to get away as fast as they could.

Although I was disappointed I did not receive more gratitude for doing what they'd failed to do for years, I understood their hesitation. They didn't yet believe me. In truth, I wasn't even sure I believed it. A part of me was sure I hadn't succeeded. That Peter Pan was still out there lurking in the shadows.

I tried to picture him as I left him to reassure myself. Unconscious on the ground, clothes drenched from the pouring rain. Blood leaked from the corner of his mouth as well as from one ear. Dark patches had covered his shirt, caused by his wounds and the muddy ground. I had felt such accomplishment as I looked into those blank eyes. Now, I wished I could double check. Even if no one could survive that. Not even the great Peter Pan.

"I knew Peter Pan wasn't on vacation." Emris scoffed from beside me as we turned to head back into the woods.

"I never said he was on vacation."

"Well it would've been a better lie than whatever you came up with." He shrugged when I glared down at him.

"Will you tell the rest?" Damon asked from behind.

"If I don't, will you?" I countered, having a feeling I already knew the answer to that question.

"No."

"That's a lie!" Emris sang, earning a shove from behind.

"Is not."

"Is too!" The boys squabbled back and forth and I looked over my shoulder at Jack who trailed a few steps behind. I wasn't worried that he would do anything to go against me. However, if Alex decided to, I had no doubt that he would follow.