Chapter 26

•Peter•

I didn't open my eyes when Rose asked Twila if I was asleep. The only part of me that moved was the rise and fall of my chest.

"Is the area clear?" Twila asked, sounding tired.

"I wouldn't know, I stuck nearby to listen."

"What do you mean?" Twila didn't sound tired any longer. Confused was a better word to describe her. I felt the same.

"I stuck around to listen to what you'd talk about when I was around." Rose used a voice that I'd only heard her use on me. I could picture the surprised look Twila's face. Eyebrows pinched together, lips pressed together in a thin line. "I've seen the way you look at him, even after he almost choked you to death. Don't you understand what he is? Haven't I told you what he's done?" Twila laughed. A full belly laugh that I suspected shook her whole body. It was such an ugly laugh that I almost cringed at the sound.

"How I look at him?" She could barely speak over her fits of laughter, "Thorn, you are so paranoid."

"I'm not joking. You can't trust him, no matter how much you want to. I learned that the hard way. No matter how-"

"Rose." Twila cut her off. It was the first time I'd heard ant of them call her by her real name. "You've warned me countless of times, but we need to have some sort of trust if we're to make this work and save the Lost Boys. I know what he's done. I know that maybe you will never be able to forgive him, and I don't blame you. There is light and dark in all of us, mixing together. However in Peter... There's a war going on inside of Peter Pan. He's been through a lot too."

"That doesn't excuse it."

"I know it doesn't, but right now we're on the same side. We have to work together weather we like it or not. We might as well see if he's changed." Twila took a deep breath and I peaked my eye open slightly. Twila had placed her hand on Rose's. Rose stared at their hands, a look of fear and conflict on her face. "Don't take your anger out on me, or even on Peter Pan. We have a mission, focus everything you are feeling on completing that."

"I'm sorry for spying on you." Rose sounded guilty as she pulled her hand away from Twila's.

"I'm sorry for looking at Peter Pan wrong." Twila snickered again, "Whatever that's supposed to mean. Now get some rest, Flynn should be feeling reading to go in an hour or two."

↢ ↢ ↢

I recognized the trees we walked through. It was like a breath I didn't know I'd been holding was released. I didn't realize I could be homesick. I didn't realize how much I ached to walk beneath these leaves. I could walk these trails with my eyes closed. Hope was fueling in my chest again. For the first time I felt like we could really pull this off.

No longer was I weak and injured. Bleeding both inside and out. I was confident again, despite overhearing Rose and Twila's last conversation about me. Although my cheerfulness was unsettling to my comrades- specifically Flynn, who's eyes were still sunken in- I couldn't help but smile. I was going to get my boys back and no one would stand in my way. Not even that beast who guarded Skull Island.

The rest weren't sure what we'd be facing when we got there. I didn't even try to describe it to them. My warnings would only stroke the flames of fear I could tell they were hiding. Walking in blind was better than walking in ready to run. All they knew was that it would be dangerous. That was all they needed to know at the time. The first step was to get through the mermaids- the ones who I had never tamed by my offerings of food. These mermaids had voices worse than the ones beneath the cliffs. Their teeth were similar to that of sharks and their fingers ended in talon-like claws.

During our trek Rose had stopped to collect a plant called Thick-Sangpom Moss. She explained to me that the newest pirate captain Chay Turley had taught her about many of the lifesaving plants in Neverland while her and Micheal had hid with them. Plants like Death Willow, Trifil Root, and the Thick-Sangpom Moss. When stuffed in the ear, the moss was dense enough to block out any noise- Including a mermaid song.

I remembered that Chay had the mind of a steel trap and an unusual obsession with plants, I could only hope that his information was correct. I never much cared for such things. Never needed to know what plants would keep you alive when mortal. Now I wished I knew more about what lay just outside my doorstep. Now that death loomed around any corner.

"I hear rushing water." Twila paused, causing the rest of us to do the same. I payed more attention to exactly where we were and my stomach plummeted. I glanced over to Rose, who's eyes had darkened.

"We're by the waterfall." Her voice was like razors and both Flynn and Twila looked warily between us. They must've noticed how my smile faltered and how tremors shook my hands. This was where I first had everything I wanted- and then where I'd thrown it all away. Because of my pride and my paranoia, I ruined us. "Come on, we should refill our canteens."

No. I didn't want to go there again. Not with her.

Still, I didn't argue. Didn't have the words to. Stiffly I followed until we emerged from the thick underbrush. The waterfall was as beautiful as ever. It was a magical Caribbean-blue, tumbling over the rocks and pounding into the pool below. It's clamorous passage through up bubbles of spray, covering our faces with mist. The rest of the pool was crystal clear, enabling us to see the bottom. Fronds of forest-green plants waved gently in its depths. This was where I'd kissed Rose before ruining everything. Before chaining her inside the hidden cavern alongside Michael.

"Maybe we should rest here for the night." Rose spat, "I know a good hiding spot just in-case Ara and the boys come this way."

"No." I didn't wan to step a foot in that cave ever again. "No, we can make it a bit further before it gets dark."

"The sun is already setting." Twila pointed out, much to my disappointed. She didn't understand what this place was to Rose and I. She didn't know the ghosts that still lurked here in the shadows. "Plus, Flynn needs to rest, as do you Peter. You're not at your full strength yet."

"I'm fine." Flynn tried to protest but was ignored. He couldn't hide the exhaustion behind his eyes.

"Not here." My feet were rooted in place, eyes looking anywhere but at the falls.

"Oh stop pretending like you care." Rose stomped passed me, "I should be the one who wants to leave. Suck it up."

"Sorry, but she's right." Twila patted my shoulder before following her friend.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." Flynn murmured, now that it was just the two of us standing at the edge of the treeline.

"You look like you've seen death." I shot back, watching as the climbed down and disappeared behind the slippery rocks to reach the water.

"Maybe I have." He shrugged, pushing past me to head for the waterfall. He only made it a few steps when there was a high-pitched screech, a sickening crack, and a splash- followed by a second one. This time my feet did move. Flynn and rushed to the edge to see Rose's head just breaking the surface. Twila was in her arms, eyes closed, a gash across her forehead. Without hesitation I climbed down to help Rose to shore. I took Twila from her- whose body had become limp in my arms. The blood that trickled down her face made my stomach twist.

"Bring her here." Flynn urged, holding his hands out to me. I carried Twila up while Rose pulled herself from the water.

"She slipped and hit her head on one of the rocks." Rose exclaimed breathlessly, "It looked bad, nocked herself right out."

"It's fine, I can fix this." Flynn said as I lay Twila on the grass. He placed a hand on her forehead, the other on the side of her neck. He took a shuddering breath and I grabbed his arm.

"Wait, are you sure you can do this? You're still weak."

"I'm not weak." Flynn shrugged me off and closed his eyes. I stood back and watched as he drew as much strength as he could- before letting all of it flow into Twila.