S I X T E E N

Mizpah:
The deep emotional bond between people, especially those separated by distance or death.
•─────✧─────•
The shapeshifter.

ONYX' POV.

Hades isn't wearing black, he hasn't taken any alcohol, I haven't seen him with a cigar. He hasn't lashed out at anyone.

He doesn't force me to eat, he has been trying to speak with me since. He hasn't killed anyone. This has been the routine for the past week.

Did Selene change him?

"I'm sorry" I snap my head up to Hades, he just apologized.

Hades the I don't give a damn, just apologized.

"W-what?" I stutter, "I'm sorry that I killed your mother and didn't apologize for killing her" Each word escapes his lips without any difficulty, you'd think it would be difficult for the god of the underworld to apologize.

"Okay, I don't know what game you think you're playing but I don't want to be part of it so just leave me alone," I say and stand up, but Hades pulls me back and kisses me.

I widen my eyes in shock, then push him away "You killed my mother and you think it's okay to kiss me?"

"I'm sorry, I couldn't resist" he apologizes again. I shake my head and walk to my room where Gary stays.

I gave the wolf a name, and he loves it, at least I think he loves it. I pat his head and sigh "You're the only one who hasn't hurt me"

"What about me?" I hear Savannah behind me "And you too" I giggle softly, Gary growls at Savannah and she rolls her eyes.

"Keep your dog on a leash" Gary growls louder and snarls at her, she jumps a little, I pat Gary's head and pull him closer to me. "I'll be going" she points to the door and leaves before I speak.

"I have no idea why you don't like her, she's a nice person," I think Gary rolls his eyes at my words before he licks my hand.

"You are so cute" Gary growl lowly, a warning he doesn't like being called cute, "Right, sorry. You are so bad?" I ask and he rolls his eyes again.

Do wolves roll their eyes?

"Well, I'm hungry and it's dinner time, come on" Gary follows behind me. We get to the kitchen and I give him leftovers. He eats it happily, I could still tell he wishes to hunt for real food.

"Tomorrow we go hunting" He jumps happily, then licks my cheeks "Ew" I giggle, "On--" And Gary starts growling.

"Gary!" I snap tired of him growling at everyone. A whimper escapes his mouth as he stares at me with downcast ears. "Oh I can't stay mad at you"

"You have a weird relationship with him" Hades rolls his eyes, his crystal blue eyes aren't so blue as they show a little bit of fear.

"I'm sorry" I nod and walk out with Gary behind me, I think Gary passes Hades with a smug look.

"Why is Hades trying to apologize? He didn't even remember that he killed my mom and a week ago he told me he isn't sorry he killed her but he is sorry that I didn't die along. So why the sudden change of heart?" I pace as I ask Gary.

"I need a glass of water" I announce to Gary.

I place the cup of water on the kitchen island to close the fridge, I look into my water and see a reflection of a man, then I look up and see it's Hades.

The reflection of his face in my water isn't Hades, it's a different man.

What's happening?

"A--"

"Goodnight" I hurriedly leave with my cup of water without waiting for his response.

The next day, I couldn't stop thinking of the reflection.

Why was he reflecting as a different person? Is that the reason he's been acting differently? Could it be it isn't Hades that's here?

I stop when I hear harsh whispers, I look to see Savannah and Hades whispering.

What are they whispering about?

Once again his reflection on the mirror is a different man but his face his Hades.

I run and crash into Hera and Zeus "What's wrong?" Zeus asks, then I pull them into my room.

"Okay, I know this is going to sound crazy" I take a deep breath.

"I don't think it's Hades that is in this mansion" Zeus releases a laugh, "So who is it then?"

"I don't know, but he's been acting strangely. Ha apologized to me twice! He doesn't wear black, he doesn't drink anymore. He smiles, laughs, and many other strange things he has never done"

"And your point?" Hera asks as she crosses her arms.

"Before Mara left she told me about shapeshifters" she was telling me how she hated shapeshifters for playing games with people and how they enjoyed.

She complained that someone shouldn't enjoy impersonating someone else but they enjoyed it especially if they are in form of someone big.

"Yeah and?" Zeus asks.

"I don't think that's Hades, I think that's a shapeshifter" they both pause before the break into laughers, "Really? Because he's being nice and doesn't act like a dick anymore, you think he's a shapeshifter?" I slowly nod at Hera.

"My brother has changed, he's all grown up. Okay, let's say he a shapeshifter, then where is the real Hades?" A question I have no answer to.

"Look I'd love to believe you but your theory isn't correct" she shakes her head leaves.

"I don't believe you. Hades had changed he isn't a dick anymore and you of all people should be happy about that. I'm sure he apologized about your mother's death" I nod.

"You should be happy" that doesn't explain the reflection.

I sit on my bed deep in thought, Gary's cold snort touches my wrist and he loves at me with flattened ears, "You believe me right?" He places his head under my hand and I rub his head.

"I should ask him why his reflection is different" I nod as I stand, Gary follows behind me.

I push Hades' room door open, but he isn't wearing a shirt and there's no tattoo on his back.

I massaged his back once and he has a lot of tattoos. "Hey" he smiles, "You're not Hades" the smile vanishes from his lips and Gary growls loudly.

"What? Don't be ridiculous!" I roll my eyes at his failed attempt to be an angry Hades.

"I know you are a shapeshifter what I don't understand is why you're doing this" I cross my arms.

"You're right I'm not Hades. But who's going to believe you?" He asks smugly.

"When I show they proof you'd wish you had told me your reasons" I threaten.

"What do you want?" He asks, "Where is the real Hades?" I ask.

"With Persephone" I step back a bit and frown, "He hired you to impersonate him?" I ask.

"Oh, no, no. Hades isn't even aware of what he's going on but know he isn't in peace" the man explains.

"I don't understand. How do I find him and get him back"

"I'll give direction in exchange for protection"

"Why do you need protection?"

"When she discovers you caught me she'd kill me that's if Hades' siblings don't do that first" I nod in understanding.