四 | 伸るか反るか

After separating, the examinees were escorted by bus to their exam site. Ayane was located at center B. It looked like a faux city. 'Just how much money does this school have...? Damn, this is kind of extra if you ask me,' she thought. "AAAAND START!" Came Present Mic's voice. Almost immediately Ayane and one other candidate shot off, racing into the city. "WHAT'S THE MATTER?! THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A COUNTDOWN IN A REAL BATTLE! RUN! RUUUN!! CONSIDER THE BATON TOSSED!" After that announcement, the other examinees followed suit, running into the city.

While Ayane easily took down robots with her raw strength, she noticed the other boy who had shot off using his quirk to explode the robots. 'Hmm, everyone else seems to be using their powers. Should I? Nah, these guys aren't worth it.' She continued the process of smashing the robots to bits, racking up points. By now she had counted that she had at least 80 points-give or take.

Suddenly, the ground began to shake and buildings crumbled down as a giant robot, presumably the zero pointer, came into the fray. People began to scream, running away in fear, all except for Ayane and the explosion boy, who ignored the giant robot and continued to take out the smaller ones. Ayane smirked, deciding to take the thing on. "Hey, you!! What are you doing! It's dangerous to go that way!!" Someone shouted at her, but Ayane didn't care. This gained the brief attention from the boy who was exploding the robots.

Ayane skid to a stop in front of it, holding her hand out. "Thunderbolt!!" She called. A giant thunderbolt came down directly on the robot, shattering it into a million tiny pieces. All of the other examinees watched with mouths agape as Ayane yawned. "That was no fun. It shattered upon impact," she spoke nonchalantly with her hands resting leisurely behind her head. 

"Did she just say 'that was no fun'?!"

"She's not even breaking a sweat!"

People began to whisper among themselves, talking about how hardcore she was.

"TIME'S UP!!!"

----

"So, how do you think you did?" Ayane asked that evening as Hitoshi and her sat in her room, doing random things. Hitoshi looked away. "...I don't think I made it."

"Yeah, this test was pretty rigged against you. But don't worry," Ayane reassured.

About a week later, Kasumi came home with two letters in her hand.

"Your UA letters are here!!" Hitoshi and Ayane shared a look before taking their letters from her, staring at them. Kasumi stood there excitedly until the two walked away up to Ayane's room, leaving a dejected Kasumi. She had really wanted to be there when they got their results. "Since I'm positive you did better than me, open yours first," Hitoshi insisted. Ayane shrugged. "Yeah, okay."

She opened the letter, only for a small disk to fall out, a holographic projection popping out from said disk. "I AM HERE AS A PROJECTION!!" All Might's booming voice spoke. Hitoshi and Ayane gave each other confused looks. What was All Might doing in her UA letter? "I SUPPOSED YOU'RE WONDERING WHAT I'M DOING HERE AT UA! WELL I'VE COME TO INFORM YOU THAT STARTING THIS SCHOOL YEAR, I'LL BE A TEACHER HERE AT JAPAN'S TOP ACADEMY! ANYWAYS, MOVING ON. YOUR SCORE, YOUNG ZOLDYCK!" Ayane was slightly taken aback. All Might had said her name perfectly. That was a first.

"I AM PLEASED TO INFORM YOU THAT YOU PASSED BOTH THE WRITTEN AND PRACTICAL PORTIONS OF THE EXAMS! WHILE YOUR SCORE WAS AVERAGE ON THE WRITTEN PART, YOU DID COME IN FIRST PLACE ON THE PRACTICAL WITH A TOTAL OF 100 POINTS!! YOU SEE, WE NOT ONLY SCORED VILLAIN POINTS, BUT ALSO RESCUE POINTS!! WITH 80 VILLAIN POINTS AND 20 RESCUE POINTS, I'M HONORED TO WELCOME YOU TO YOUR HERO ACADEMIA!"

Hitoshi couldn't help but smile fondly at the girl. "I knew it."

"Huh?"

"I knew you would get in. Congratulations, Ayane, you deserve it."

"Thanks..." Ayane felt slightly bad. It had never really been her goal to become a hero, but it was the job with the most action in this world, even if she wasn't allowed to kill. She supposed she could still be an assassin, but what's the fun if all her targets were normal, boring people? "Now it's your turn," Ayane turned to Hitoshi, watching expectantly. With some reluctance, Hitoshi finally opened his letter, only for there to be paper.

"Heh, I guess this means I didn't make the cut," he said, reading over the paper silently. He sighed, tearing up the letter. "Yeah, this was bound to happen..." he sighed out. "Hey, Hitoshi," Ayane called, causing the boy to turn to her. She held out her fist to him expectantly. "I'll become a good hero, okay? Not just for me, but for you as well. I promise," she smiled. Hitoshi couldn't help himself. He gripped the girl into a tight hug, pulling her close. Ayane blushed. She was never good at comforting people, for her social skills were lacking. Hitoshi was her only real friend, and she had learned some things, but his social skills weren't the best either.

"H-hey, don't do things like that, it's embarrassing..." she trailed off as Hitoshi let go of her. He chuckled at that. "Pfft, you tsun tsun," he taunted. "Wha-hey! Am not!!" Ayane shouted, throwing a pillow at him. "Oh, but you are," he responded as the pillow hit him square in the face. He picked it up, throwing it back at Ayane. "No I'm not!" The two then broke into laughter, continuing their small pillow fight. "So does this mean you're all better?" Ayane asked, breaking their fit of giggles.

"Yeah, thanks for that. There's always next year, right?"

'I'm not better, but for some reason when I'm with you, all my problems seem to fade away.'

"Yup! I promise I'll do the family proud, Hitoshi."