九 | 学級委員長

The next day, Hitoshi and Ayane walked to school side by side, only to see the press swarming the entrance. "Woah, guess they finally figured out All Might teaches here, huh?" Hitoshi said, sighing in annoyance. "Yeah, how bothersome..." Ayane sighed out. "Excuse me! Please, tell us about All Might's teachings!!" A news reporter shoved a mic into Ayane's face, to which she grimaced. More and more reporters swarmed her, eventually pushing Hitoshi away. Ayane noticed this, quickly becoming more and more annoyed.

She glared at them, causing them all to stop and back away, now afraid. Ayane turned away with a 'hmph!', grabbing Hitoshi by the hand and walking into the building. Hitoshi, not expecting her to do that, blushed slightly at the contact, surprised. As soon as they crossed the threshold, Ayane loosened her grip on Hitoshi's hand, only for him to squeeze it tightly. She looked at him, slightly confused. "Hey, we'll meet at lunch, right?" He asked. Ayane blinked. If that was all he wanted to know then why did he have to squeeze her hand like that?

"Yeah," Ayane replied, but Hitoshi had yet to let go of her hand. She looked down at their intertwined hands before looking back up at Hitoshi, who seemed to finally realize what he was doing. He quickly released his hold, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly. "S-sorry..." He stuttered, looking away. "It's fine. But we should get to class." Hitoshi nodded, and the two went their separate ways.

"Hope you're rested from yesterday's battle trial. I took the liberty of looking at your marks and evaluation," Aizawa started as class began. "Bakugou. Stop acting like a 7-year-old. You're wasting your own talent."

"...I know," Bakugou muttered, something surprising for the usually angry ash blonde. "And you," Aizawa turned to Midoriya. "Are you always planning on destroying your arm, Midoriya? If you keep going "I can't adjust my quirk so I have no choice" you'll never get terribly far. I've said it before. Don't make me say it a third time. Once you've cleared that hurdle, you'll be much more flexible, so I need to see some sweat off you, Midoriya."

"Yes sir!"

"Now let's get on with the homeroom notices. I'm sorry to have to spring this on you all, but..we need to pick a class president."

"Finally, something school-like!!!" The class cheered. Everyone was quick to raise their hands, each one of them wanting to be class president, minus Ayane, who thought the job would just be a bunch of extra work, which, to be perfectly honest, sounded boring to her. "BE QUIET!!" Iida commanded, startling everyone. "This is a task laden with responsibility where you must carry and pull everyone else's weight! Just because you'd like to do it doesn't mean you can! It is a holy office that requires the great esteem and trust of those around you...! The only truly worthy leader will emerge from a democratic choice reflecting the will of the people! Which is why this must be settled by a vote!!" Iida raised his hand really high, meaning he probably wanted the job for himself.

"It's still too early to have developed any trust in each other," Tsuyu said. "And everyone will just vote for themselves!" Kirishima added. "And that's precisely why the person who does manage to earn multiple votes will be the truly appropriate person for the job, no?! Is that all right, sensei?!!" Iida turned to Aizawa. "As long as you all decide by the deadline, anything's fine."

In the end, Midoriya got three votes while Momo got two. "YOU'VE GOTTA BE SHITTING ME...!!! WHO VOTED FOR DEKU?!!" Bakugou yelled. "Yeah like we would vote for you," Ayane sassed. "Zero votes...I see how it is!! Of course since I insisted on the sacredness of the role...!!" Iida sulked.  "So then it's president Midoriya and vice-president Yaoyorozu," said Aizawa, getting out of his sleeping bag. "Ah man...so close..." Momo sighed out. "F-f-f-for real...?!!" Midoriya stuttered.

Later, at lunch, Ayane sat with Hitoshi, talking about the previous day's training. "That Bakugou kid sure is something else. He exploded part of the building during training. I think that was the least boring part," Ayane laughed. "Really?" Asked Hitoshi. "Yeah, but that Todoroki guy was no fun. He played right into my plan. I thought he would be much better considering he's a recommended student and the son of the number two hero, but nah."

"I see," Hitoshi replied, his head resting lazily on his palm as he watched Ayane speak. "SECURITY LEVEL 3 HAS BEEN BREACHED. STUDENTS, PLEASE PROMPTLY EVACUATE," came the robotic voice of the intercom. Ayane and Hitoshi shared confused looks, turning to the nearest people. "What's security level 3?" Hitoshi wondered. "It means someone's infiltrated the school grounds! This hasn't happened in my three years here!" A student yelled frantically as he ran away. Ayane smiled. "That means villains are here, right? This sounds like fun!" Ayane began to walk away, but Hitoshi was there to pull her along with him, joining the crowd of students outside. "Hey! Hitoshi, why'd you drag me out like that?!" Ayane shouted.

"If there really are villains here, we need to leave."

"Ugh, you're no fun."

"I'm only trying to make sure we stay safe."

Ayane huffed in annoyance. She could take care of herself, let alone a couple of villains. Of course, Hitoshi didn't actually know what she was capable of, so she guessed she would let it slide. The mob of students kept pushing and shoving, causing Ayane and Hitoshi to become separated. "Shit," Ayane cursed as she realized she could no longer even see Hitoshi with the wave of frantic students. She considered using her nen to disperse the crowd, but that would risk hurting people, which she wasn't allowed to do. It seemed things were hopeless until she bumped into someone familiar. She looked up, only to be met with the stoic face of Todoroki. "Todoroki?" She asked. He grunted in response, looking away. He was probably still upset at his loss to her the other day. Ayane took note of the light blush on Todoroki's face before she looked down, realizing what an awkward position they were in. Their chests were pressed up against each other and their faces were mere inches apart.

"Shit, sorry," Ayane apologized. "It's fine," Todoroki waved her off, closing his eyes as if he were in deep concentration. Suddenly, Iida came flying above their heads, landing in a weird position above the exit sign. "EVERYBODY CALM DOWN...IT'S OKAY!!" He reassured. "IT'S JUST THE PRESS! THERE'S NOTHING TO PANIC ABOUT! IT'S OKAY!! YOU'RE AT UA! LET'S CONDUCT OURSELVES IN THE MANNER OF THOSE ENROLLED AT THE HIGHEST ACADEMIA!!" The students calmed down after that, dispersing back to their classrooms. Ayane sighed, now finally able to get out of her awkward position with Todoroki. She rubbed the back of her head. "Man, I'm sorry. If only Hitoshi hadn't dragged me out here you wouldn't have had to put up with that," Ayane spoke. Todoroki waved her off once more. "It's not like it was your fault," he sighed out, walking away. Ayane frowned. Was he always so antisocial?

"Ayane!" Called Hitoshi. Ayane turned around to see the face of an out of breath Hitoshi. "You good?" She asked. He looked up, but she noticed he didn't meet her gaze. "Yeah, fine," he replied curtly, something quite odd for him to do. "Okay, well, I'm gonna go back to class." Hitoshi looked away, muttering something under his breath. Ayane payed it no mind, figuring he was probably just annoyed they had gotten separated.

"All right, president, start us off," Momo instructed as class began. "Uh, let us initiate the ceremony for the new class president! ...But before that, I need to say something! In the end, I think that Iida would be the better man for the job after all!" Midoriya said. "You proved yourself able to unify people so coolly, and it's my judgement that...Iida's becoming class president is the right choice," he continued. "Yeah! He's got a point!! Iida made a great showing back there at the lunch room!! I wouldn't have minded Midoriya either, of course!" Kirishima agreed. "He reminded me of that warning sign you see on emergency exits!" Kaminari added. "Whatever, just get on with it already...we're not getting any younger here," Aizawa interjected. "If it's the wish of the class president, then I can't refuse!!" Iida exclaimed. 

"Do us proud Mr. emergency exit!!"

"Emergency exit Iida!! Don't let us down!"