CHAPTER III ~ CLOSE YET FAR AWAY

______________________________________

"Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart."

-Washington Irving
______________________________________

POV: TAMAKI AMAJIKI

[1ST PERSON]

The weekend had finally come, and mommy was on her days off from work.

It was strange to be at a new place with new people, and I had a hard time adjusting. I shuddered at the mere thought of having to introduce myself at my new school...

Alone.

'"I thought we were in all of this together?"'

Then, I had remembered the note (Y/N)-chan had given to me before I'd left. I went into my bedroom, that was still unfamiliar, and looked for my backpack.

'"I'd never get mad at you for something like this."'

I smiled, remembering (Y/N)'s rare but soft hug that day...

I found my backpack and had eventually found the paper note. It was wrinkly, probably because of the position of the bag.

I exited my room to meet my mother who was in the living room, enjoying a small bag of salty potato chips.

"Mum, can you download this?" I asked sheepishly.

"Hm? What's that, dumpling?" Mummy patted the chip crumbs off her thin shirt, then took the slip of paper and flattened it out gently with her fingertips.

"'Learn and Play'?" her indigo eyes wandered back to me questioningly.

I nodded, still unsure of what this app was for. What even is an app?

"I'll look at it first to see if it's appropriate." She pulled out her phone, and started tapping for a bit. I stood there, trying to suppress my excitement.

'I hope I can talk to (Y/N) again!'

"Awwww, dumpling~!" I was startled by my mom who suddenly broke the short silence.

"You wanna make friends!? I never thought a day like this would come!" She squished my cheeks.

"O-Oww!" I squeaked.

"M-Make friends!?"

'What have you gotten me into, (Y/N)!?'

"This is an app for learning games and making friends!" She squealed with joy. "I'm so proud of you!"

"T-That's not-"

"Here you go! Mommy's gonna need her phone later, so don't forget to give it back. Okay?" she patted my head as she handed me her rectangular device.