Part 6

To Marry a Vigilante: Part 6

------------

Even if she tried to downgrade her reaction to learning that the class was held hostage, Marinette was still nervous. No amount of rationalizing that they were mean or that they didn't care one bit about her helped. She just couldn't help but worry about them.

Damian tried his best to understand her, but he really didn't feel any empathy toward them. Idiots brought it upon themselves. He wouldn't cry after them. Instead, he took it upon himself to distract his beloved from her stress. They were in the middle of the second Disney movie when she finally dozed off in his arms. Given his luck, that was the moment Selina decided to enter the room.

"Oh. I'm sorry to interrupt." She said with a face that clearly meant she wasn't even a bit sorry.

"Tt. You're lucky Angel's asleep." He scoffed, making sure not to be too loud.

"Angel huh? The best I ever got from Bruce was 'Kitty', and even that was only out of the suit. You're moving fast."

"Shut up." The scowl on his face was evident.

"Why aren't you roof-running with the rest of them?" She asked, dropping the teasing (for now).

"I told father I would no longer carry the mantle of Robin." He revealed. It wasn't much of a secret, but beyond Bruce, only Alfred knew. Their butler knew everything and then some more.

"Whoa!" Seline looked genuinely surprised. "What brought this on? Don't tell me you're planning on settling down with a wife." Her grin returned.

"Tt. Will you people stop?"

"No. Now answer the question pip-squeak."

"For the record, I'm almost your height now." He sighed before taking a sneaky gaze at his wife. "Did Bruce tell you about Paris?"

"Not really." She made a pensive face.

"Then I am honor-bound to withhold any more information."

She looked at him, trying to judge what it was really about, but Selina kept getting distracted by how cute the two teens looked. If she didn't know, she would assume they were dating for at least two years, not barely a semester. There was this trust that Damian refused to show anyone else, maybe beside Dick sometimes.

"Fine. But I hope when the time comes, you'll speak to us." She was about to leave, but something stopped her. "And if you want to avoid more teasing, try not to have your 'beloved' fall asleep in your arms where the cameras can see." She smirked and left the teens alone. Damian groaned. He was really digging his own grave.

"Dami..." Marinette murmured. For a moment, he thought that he woke her up, but she just snuggled closer and returned to sleep.

--------

A cloaked figure was making strides through the city, trying to keep to the shadows. The streets of Gotham were mostly empty at that hour, but those who still dwelled usually didn't have good intentions. And even in a city where a group of people in fancy suits was more efficient than the police, someone in a full black cloak with a hood to boot would attract attention sooner or later.

"Hey! Look at that, boys. Someone's trying to play bat." A group of burly men stepped their way.

They received no answer.

"What? Bat's got your tongue? What say you drop the costume and we can see who's there," the supposed leader taunted.

They received no answer.